Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Gave the G1-X a low-level light test

Gave the G1-X a low-level light test

philo

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...77229938_n.jpg

Taken this evening as Horror-O-Rama

Tim Conway

"philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
news:km20ur$jk1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...77229938_n.jpg
>

> Taken this evening as Horror-O-Rama

Looks good to me.
What ISO?

philo

On 05/04/2013 07:07 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
> "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
> news:km20ur$jk1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...77229938_n.jpg
>>

>> Taken this evening as Horror-O-Rama

> Looks good to me.
> What ISO?

I had it cranked up to maximum 12,800 ISO

exposure time: 0.0125
F-number : 5

I also did some minor cropping (don't usually crop).

BTW: I've noticed that the G1-X seems to perform more compression that
my 50D (without affecting the quality)

I bought a 32gig card for it, which shows something like 8400 images
remaining. Guess I'll need to buy 30 more batteries

Tim Conway

"philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
news:km2u16$4nl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 05/04/2013 07:07 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
>> "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
>> news:km20ur$jk1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...77229938_n.jpg
>>>

>>> Taken this evening as Horror-O-Rama

>> Looks good to me.
>> What ISO?
>>

> I had it cranked up to maximum 12,800 ISO
>

> exposure time: 0.0125
> F-number : 5
>

> I also did some minor cropping (don't usually crop).
>

> BTW: I've noticed that the G1-X seems to perform more compression that my
> 50D (without affecting the quality)
>
> I bought a 32gig card for it, which shows something like 8400 images
> remaining. Guess I'll need to buy 30 more batteries

That's pretty impressive for a compact like that. I'm getting one if I ever
get the money together. lol

philo

On 05/04/2013 09:59 AM, Tim Conway wrote:

>> I also did some minor cropping (don't usually crop).
>>

>> BTW: I've noticed that the G1-X seems to perform more compression that my
>> 50D (without affecting the quality)
>>
>> I bought a 32gig card for it, which shows something like 8400 images
>> remaining. Guess I'll need to buy 30 more batteries

> That's pretty impressive for a compact like that. I'm getting one if I ever
> get the money together. lol

I combed eBay pretty extensively and purchased my camera *new* but at
about $100 less than the price commonly found at most dealers.

I saw a few used and refurbished for even less

RichA

On May 4, 12:00*am, philo* <philo@priv cy.not> wrote:
> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...181446_6179635...
>
> Taken this evening as Horror-O-Rama

How much NR was dialed-in for the JPEG?

philo

On 05/04/2013 11:11 AM, RichA wrote:
> On May 4, 12:00 am, philo <philo@priv cy.not> wrote:
>> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...181446_6179635...
>>
>> Taken this evening as Horror-O-Rama

> How much NR was dialed-in for the JPEG?

Hi ISO noise reduction was set to "high".

When I magnified the shot it still looked pretty good.

Of course of the 70 or so shots I took that night, I posted the best one...
but even one one or two really decent shots out of 70 is not bad...
on a normal photo shoot I usually take 400 or more photos...but at the
Horror-O-Rama I was mainly there just to have a good time.

Tim Conway

"philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
news:km3esl$7c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 05/04/2013 11:11 AM, RichA wrote:
>> On May 4, 12:00 am, philo <philo@priv cy.not> wrote:
>>> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...181446_6179635...
>>>
>>> Taken this evening as Horror-O-Rama

>> How much NR was dialed-in for the JPEG?
>>

> Hi ISO noise reduction was set to "high".
>

> When I magnified the shot it still looked pretty good.
>

> Of course of the 70 or so shots I took that night, I posted the best
> one...
> but even one one or two really decent shots out of 70 is not bad...
> on a normal photo shoot I usually take 400 or more photos...but at the
> Horror-O-Rama I was mainly there just to have a good time.

That's still pretty good. I think it is very sharp for having a lot of
noise reduction. I know it beats what I used to get out of my D200.

PeterN

On 5/4/2013 3:49 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
> "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
> news:km3esl$7c3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> How much NR was dialed-in for the JPEG?
>>>

>> Hi ISO noise reduction was set to "high".
>>

>> When I magnified the shot it still looked pretty good.
>>

>> Of course of the 70 or so shots I took that night, I posted the best
>> one...
>> but even one one or two really decent shots out of 70 is not bad...
>> on a normal photo shoot I usually take 400 or more photos...but at the
>> Horror-O-Rama I was mainly there just to have a good time.
>>

> That's still pretty good. I think it is very sharp for having a lot of
> noise reduction. I know it beats what I used to get out of my D200.

Yup! Even the D300.

--
PeterN

philo

On 05/04/2013 03:15 PM, PeterN wrote:
> OX
>>>
>>> When I magnified the shot it still looked pretty good.
>>>

>>> Of course of the 70 or so shots I took that night, I posted the best
>>> one...
>>> but even one one or two really decent shots out of 70 is not bad...
>>> on a normal photo shoot I usually take 400 or more photos...but at the
>>> Horror-O-Rama I was mainly there just to have a good time.
>>>

>> That's still pretty good. I think it is very sharp for having a lot of
>> noise reduction. I know it beats what I used to get out of my D200.
>>

> Yup! Even the D300.

The G1-X is sure nice...but I am not going to be selling off my 50D