Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Highest performance Python framework for API exposure?

Highest performance Python framework for API exposure?

Alec Taylor

Which Python framework has benchmarked the highest?

I am looking for a solution to initially run on Heroku or OpenShift;
but eventually run on a pure IaaS.

Will expose the interfaces RESTfully as JSON, purposed to act as the
"glue" between the endpoints, databases (incl. caches) and queues.

An additional requirement is support for serving static, downloadable
content efficiently.

Currently looking at Falcon, Bottle and Werkzeug.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alec Taylor

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alec Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Which Python framework has benchmarked the highest?
>
> I am looking for a solution to initially run on Heroku or OpenShift;
> but eventually run on a pure IaaS.
>
> Will expose the interfaces RESTfully as JSON, purposed to act as the
> "glue" between the endpoints, databases (incl. caches) and queues.

Based on my experience, it doesn't matter what framework you use. All
that's going to matter is how fast you can pump data in and out of your
database. The overhead added by the Python front-end probably won't be
significant.

Pick a framework that you find easy to use and don't sweat it. Invest
your time worrying about your database.

> An additional requirement is support for serving static, downloadable
> content efficiently.

You don't want to do that with Python. You want to do that with
something that's optimized for serving static content (such as nginx).