Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak's plunge into the toilet of destitution

Kodak's plunge into the toilet of destitution

RichA

Peter Jason

On Fri, 3 May 2013 21:09:29 +0200, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <b60595a6-4f1d-4c8b-a45c-67b2056e37c4
>@d6g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...
>>
>> http://business.time.com/2013/04/30/...?iid=obnetwork

>It seems Kodak deserved what happened to them.

At least they might have hedged their bets and got
into digital in the 1990s. Still, they had a
vast investment in film stock and processing.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >It seems Kodak deserved what happened to them.

> At least they might have hedged their bets and got
> into digital in the 1990s. Still, they had a
> vast investment in film stock and processing.

kodak got into digital well before the 1990s. they even invented it,
back in the 1970s.

in the early 1990s, kodak released a modified nikon slr with a digital
back, followed later by modified canon slrs.

<http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Kodak/DCS-2001993.jpg>

what kodak did not realize is just how fast film would be killed off by
digital.

Usenet Account

On 03/05/2013 3:09 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <b60595a6-4f1d-4c8b-a45c-67b2056e37c4
> @d6g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...
>>
>> http://business.time.com/2013/04/30/...?iid=obnetwork

> It seems Kodak deserved what happened to them.

Too bad it's the pensioners that will get screwed.

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Chris Malcolm

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >It seems Kodak deserved what happened to them.

>> At least they might have hedged their bets and got
>> into digital in the 1990s. Still, they had a
>> vast investment in film stock and processing.

> kodak got into digital well before the 1990s. they even invented it,
> back in the 1970s.

> in the early 1990s, kodak released a modified nikon slr with a digital
> back, followed later by modified canon slrs.

> <http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Kodak/DCS-2001993.jpg>

> what kodak did not realize is just how fast film would be killed off by
> digital.

I'm surprised by how long it took. Given Moore's Law the writing has
been on the wall in very big letters for well over a decade.

--
Chris Malcolm

Laszlo Lebrun

On 5/4/13 3:12 AM, Usenet Account wrote:

> Too bad it's the pensioners that will get screwed.

They just will be screwed just before the others.
Pension funds are massively invested in stock exchange.
Imagine what MUST happen to the stocks, when they will ask their money
back to pay the baby boomers?
Then all the book value will blast as a balloon hit by a nail.
*puff*

--
One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
One wife and many hotels, not the other way round !

Martin Brown

On 04/05/2013 00:14, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Fri, 3 May 2013 21:09:29 +0200, Alfred Molon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <b60595a6-4f1d-4c8b-a45c-67b2056e37c4
>> @d6g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, RichA says...
>>>
>>> http://business.time.com/2013/04/30/...?iid=obnetwork

>> It seems Kodak deserved what happened to them.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the CEO and board that wrecked the
company all have a copper bottomed luxury pension fund salted away. It
is only the PEONs that get shafted by these creative accounting types.

> At least they might have hedged their bets and got
> into digital in the 1990s. Still, they had a
> vast investment in film stock and processing.

They were. Bayer worked for Kodak digital imaging. Their professional
PhotoCD scanning service was second to none and very innovative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_sensor

The Bayer mask patent dates from 1976 long before consumer digital
imaging was even possible at any price. CCDs were still lab toys then.

I had an original Kodak DC-120 camera ~1998 the first 1Mpixel device.
They also did very high end professional camera backs for a while too.
But to protect the film business they messed up the digital division!

They completely failed to spot that digicams would become consumer items
and the classic wet halide chemistry film was ultimately doomed.
Polaroid suffered a similar fate - unable to see that digital was
capable of wiping them out with its instant feedback.

Even the P&S market failed to spot that newer smart mobile phones would
incorporate digital cameras good enough for most consumers!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Laszlo Lebrun

On 5/4/13 2:16 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <km2oo1$l4o$(E-Mail Removed)>, Laszlo Lebrun says...
>> They just will be screwed just before the others.
>> Pension funds are massively invested in stock exchange.
>> Imagine what MUST happen to the stocks, when they will ask their money
>> back to pay the baby boomers?
>> Then all the book value will blast as a balloon hit by a nail.
>> *puff*

> Haven't the baby boomers already reached the retirement age a while ago?

No, no. 80% of that crowd is still in activity.

> Besides with bank interest rates close to 0% where else can the money
> go?

That is not the question. With the current cheap money, the massive
withdrawal form the stock markets is only delayed.
The question is NOT where to go with the excess money, but what will
happen, when the money gets short?
The real question is just simple as that: does a solution exist to keep
stock value when the offer becomes bigger than the demand?
That would be a breach of the most elementary economics rule...

--
One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
One wife and many hotels, not the other way round !

PeterN

On 5/4/2013 11:51 AM, Laszlo Lebrun wrote:
> On 5/4/13 2:16 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> In article <km2oo1$l4o$(E-Mail Removed)>, Laszlo Lebrun says...
>>> They just will be screwed just before the others.
>>> Pension funds are massively invested in stock exchange.
>>> Imagine what MUST happen to the stocks, when they will ask their money
>>> back to pay the baby boomers?
>>> Then all the book value will blast as a balloon hit by a nail.
>>> *puff*

>> Haven't the baby boomers already reached the retirement age a while ago?

> No, no. 80% of that crowd is still in activity.
>
>> Besides with bank interest rates close to 0% where else can the money
>> go?
>>

> That is not the question. With the current cheap money, the massive
> withdrawal form the stock markets is only delayed.
> The question is NOT where to go with the excess money, but what will
> happen, when the money gets short?
> The real question is just simple as that: does a solution exist to keep
> stock value when the offer becomes bigger than the demand?
> That would be a breach of the most elementary economics rule...

I guess a "massive withdrawal form [sic} the stock markets," fueled the
Dow closing at over $15,000.
Yes some money is cheap, but decent returns are available, if you know
what you are doing.
Your assumption that our economy won't recover, is flawed. Just look at
the unemployment rate, which is one of th key indicators of the health
of the economy.

--
PeterN

Laszlo Lebrun

On 5/4/13 6:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-05-04 08:51:07 -0700, Laszlo Lebrun
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 5/4/13 2:16 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> In article <km2oo1$l4o$(E-Mail Removed)>, Laszlo Lebrun says...
>>>
>>> Haven't the baby boomers already reached the retirement age a while ago?

>> No, no. 80% of that crowd is still in activity.

> Well this 1949 vintage one retired in February 2009.
>
>>> Besides with bank interest rates close to 0% where else can the money
>>> go?
>>>

>> That is not the question. With the current cheap money, the massive
>> withdrawal form the stock markets is only delayed.
>> The question is NOT where to go with the excess money, but what will
>> happen, when the money gets short?
>> The real question is just simple as that: does a solution exist to
>> keep stock value when the offer becomes bigger than the demand?
>> That would be a breach of the most elementary economics rule...

> My pension and retirement benefits come from the coffers of CalPERS
> (California Public Employees Retirement System).
> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpers >

So you can't imagine CalPERS coming into trouble?
It's just a matter of time. You will remember me.