Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Yahoo xtra mail service announcement

Yahoo xtra mail service announcement

geopelia

Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
Did anyone else get it?

I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

Dave Doe

In article <kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), geopelia
says...

> Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
> Did anyone else get it?
>
> I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

*What* announcement - can you post it? Having some difficulty mind-
reading your e-mail.

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

In article <kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), geopelia
says...

> Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
> Did anyone else get it?
>
> I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

And why try Google? - just go to the source website, surely.

--
Duncan.

geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), geopelia
> says...
>>
>> Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
>> Did anyone else get it?
>>
>> I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

> And why try Google? - just go to the source website, surely.

I was trying to get that from Google. I don't want to click anything on the
announcement itself.

geopelia

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kls4k9$ulj$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In article <kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), geopelia
>> says...
>>>
>>> Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
>>> Did anyone else get it?
>>>
>>> I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

>> And why try Google? - just go to the source website, surely.

> I was trying to get that from Google. I don't want to click anything on
> the announcement itself.

This is the beginning of it. It's quite long.

Thank you for being a loyal Yahoo! Xtra Mail user! We are excited to bring
you the new Yahoo! Xtra Mail.

Starting the first week of June, you will be prompted to switch to the new
Yahoo! Xtra Mail. The switch will be seamless and instantaneous--everything
in your existing Yahoo! Xtra Mail account (emails, contacts, folders and
attachments) will move over.

Don't want to wait? You can have the new Yahoo! Xtra Mail today.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
>> Did anyone else get it?
>>
>> I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

>It's real. Check the link addresses - all valid. Also they possibly
>addressed it to your full account name, which is not general knowledge.

... so the correct answer to Geo's original question is ... both.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kls4k9$ulj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In article <kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
>>> geopelia says...

>>> And why try Google? - just go to the source website, surely.

>> I was trying to get that from Google. I don't want to click anything
>> on the announcement itself.
>>

> This is the beginning of it. It's quite long.

> Thank you for being a loyal Yahoo! Xtra Mail user! We are excited to
> bring you the new Yahoo! Xtra Mail.
>
> Starting the first week of June, you will be prompted to switch to
> the new Yahoo! Xtra Mail. The switch will be seamless and
> instantaneous--everything in your existing Yahoo! Xtra Mail account
> (emails, contacts, folders and attachments) will move over.
>
> Don't want to wait? You can have the new Yahoo! Xtra Mail today.

It's real. I have a legacy Yahoo account (not Xtra) and got a similar email
a few days back.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
>> Did anyone else get it?
>>
>> I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

> It's real. Check the link addresses - all valid. Also they possibly
> addressed it to your full account name, which is not general knowledge.
>
> geoff

Thank you. Now I can have a good look at it.

Geopelia

Donchano

On Thu, 2 May 2013 10:40:36 +1200, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:kls0jq$bbr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is this Yahoo xtra mail service announcement genuine or spam please?
>> Did anyone else get it?
>>
>> I tried Google but there doesn't seem to be anything there.

>It's real. Check the link addresses - all valid. Also they possibly
>addressed it to your full account name, which is not general knowledge.

Generally not ... BUT! I have never, ever used my Xtra-Yahoo email
address in anything other than the address that email is redirected
from to my email service provider (fastnet.net). Nevertheless, I
occasionally receive spam addressed to the Xtra-Yahoo account. Not the
account name itself, but the unique email address associated with
that account.

Since I've never had any problems with other unique addresses used in
my fastmail account, I can only think that the Xtra-Yahoo account has
been accessed when thousands of other of their accounts were hacked.
And that despite a very robust password that I've since made even more
robust.

Their appalling security is a matter of record - which is why I use an
independent mail service.