Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: How get rid of whilte background?

Re: How get rid of whilte background?

Mayayana

| The Gimp UI still has problems. One thing that was very annoying was
| that the main window would not stay the same size. It kept resizing
| itself so that it was partially off the screen.

I've noticed the same thing. It won't even resize
from the top in normal size, so I can shrink the width
but not the height. That kind of thing really is
unforgiveable in such an old program. I remember one
version of GIMP where, if one opened a menu and
then didn't click something, the menu would stay open.
I find the only way the current version is usable is
with a maximized window.

Have you considered Corel products? They're very
reasonably priced, between about $50 and $80. And
they're always "on sale". Aftershot Pro seems very good,
though it doesn't have much in the way of basic
graphic editor functions. It's just for RAW. I mainly use
an old version of PSP (v. 5) which I like very much. It
does most of what I need in a very simple layout. (You
might even be able to find a free copy on the install disk of
a 10-year-old modem. At the time PSP 5 and PS 5 were
both out, and PSP was being made by Jasc, they were
very similar, except that PSP5 was 1/6 the price of PS5.
The only advantage PS5 had was some custom filters
that were hard to get working in PSP.
The current PSP version is even cheaper that PSP5, but
I don't know anything about the layout. I'm guessing it's
annoyingly overproduced. The webpage mainly lists lots
of automated gimmicks like one-click red-eye fixing. But
it should at least have all the basic tools you're lacking.

I know a professional artist/illustrator who often works
from photos and only uses Corel Draw. But I don't know
anything about that program myself.

Given the selection of software you have now it might
be worth trying out one or more of the Corel trial versions.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jennifer
Murphy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Given the selection of software you have now it might
> >be worth trying out one or more of the Corel trial versions.

> Yes, I am debating between Elements and Lightroom. I'm leaning toward
> Lightroom.

stick with adobe. they are $30 off from adobe through mother's day, as
well as premiere elements (which is for video).

<http://www.electronista.com/articles...essaging.overt
akes.sms.texting.for.first.time.ever/>

also keep in mind lightroom 5 beta is out, which is free and expires in
june. that means lightroom 5 is coming soon and if you buy lightroom 4
now, you may need to pay for an upgrade to 5 (or you might not, they
haven't said). lightroom 4 is certainly very capable, but it's
something to consider.

PeterN

On 5/1/2013 11:09 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2013 08:31:30 -0400, "Mayayana" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> | The Gimp UI still has problems. One thing that was very annoying was
>> | that the main window would not stay the same size. It kept resizing
>> | itself so that it was partially off the screen.
>>
>> I've noticed the same thing. It won't even resize
>>from the top in normal size, so I can shrink the width
>> but not the height. That kind of thing really is
>> unforgiveable in such an old program. I remember one
>> version of GIMP where, if one opened a menu and
>> then didn't click something, the menu would stay open.
>> I find the only way the current version is usable is
>> with a maximized window.
>>
>> Have you considered Corel products? They're very
>> reasonably priced, between about $50 and $80. And
>> they're always "on sale". Aftershot Pro seems very good,
>> though it doesn't have much in the way of basic
>> graphic editor functions. It's just for RAW. I mainly use
>> an old version of PSP (v. 5) which I like very much. It
>> does most of what I need in a very simple layout. (You
>> might even be able to find a free copy on the install disk of
>> a 10-year-old modem. At the time PSP 5 and PS 5 were
>> both out, and PSP was being made by Jasc, they were
>> very similar, except that PSP5 was 1/6 the price of PS5.
>> The only advantage PS5 had was some custom filters
>> that were hard to get working in PSP.
>> The current PSP version is even cheaper that PSP5, but
>> I don't know anything about the layout. I'm guessing it's
>> annoyingly overproduced. The webpage mainly lists lots
>> of automated gimmicks like one-click red-eye fixing. But
>> it should at least have all the basic tools you're lacking.
>>
>> I know a professional artist/illustrator who often works
>>from photos and only uses Corel Draw. But I don't know
>> anything about that program myself.
>>
>> Given the selection of software you have now it might
>> be worth trying out one or more of the Corel trial versions.

> Yes, I am debating between Elements and Lightroom. I'm leaning toward
> Lightroom.

The key is what type of editing do you plan, and which do yo think will
be best for your intended use.
LR is also vefry good for cataloging.
Elements is a decent photo editor that comes with Adobe Camera Raw.
(ACR) When it comes to photo editing, called development in LR, the
functionality in both LR and ACR is identical. LR has some additional
features, and you have to decide for yourself if you will use them.

Here are two links that contain useful information:
<http://photo-manager-software-review.toptenreviews.com/adobe-lightroom-vs.-photoshop-elements.html>

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY6fWUciWFk>
There are other on topic videos on Youtube.

--
PeterN