Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: GPS for Nikon

Re: GPS for Nikon

PeterN

On 4/28/2013 6:04 AM, Graham wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:37:51 +1200, Eric Stevens,
> <news:(E-Mail Removed) > expounded this
> theory:
>
>> I've been looking around and am disconcerted to find that all GPS
>> units seem to have a spotty reputation. Problems seem to include slow
>> satellite and position acquistion if the camera has been moved since
>> last time, errors in elevation, difficulty in crossing the equator
>> etc. Then there is their effect on battery life if you leave them
>> turned on.
>>
>> I know that only people with a grouch tend to write reviews but surely
>> they can't be as bad as I have read.
>>
>> I'm primarily looking for a GPS to tag my photographs so that 2 years
>> down the track I know which city I took them in. I need a fast start
>> up when I haul the camera out so that the rest of the mob has not
>> disappeared before my camera is ready to take a photograph.
>>
>> I will be using a Nikon D300 and will be interested in hearing of
>> other people's experience and comments.

> I use a Solmeta N3-A. I've had it for about two years and it has
> performed faultlessly.
> http://www.solmeta.com/index.php/Product/show/id/2
>
> I previously used a "Promote"
> http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-GPS.html and it was
> almost useless, often failing to lock on for hours if at all.
> Eventually it stopped working altogether.
>
> Once the Solmeta has acquired the signal, which is fast, it is rock
> solid. Turn off the camera for an hour or so and the signal is
> re-acquired instantly. I'm more than happy with it.

I see it sits where the flash unit sits. Is there some mechanism that
would permit use of flash with the unit?

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 4/30/2013 6:49 PM, Graham wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:32:21 -0400, PeterN,
> <news:51804660$0$10793$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com> expounded
> this theory:
>
>> I see it sits where the flash unit sits. Is there some mechanism that
>> would permit use of flash with the unit?

> There is a clip supplied to attach it to a neck strap.

Thanks, I thought there must be. I previously thought that I didn't need
one. I still don't need one, but I can see the attraction, and am
starting to think about getting one.

--
PeterN