Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Getting Enclosure Contents using Rome RSS parser

Getting Enclosure Contents using Rome RSS parser

Jeff Higgins

http://lincgeek.org/bashpodder/

Jeff Higgins

On 05/01/2013 12:54 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 05/01/2013 11:37 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
>
>> If you're hoping to mash up a particular application, well, you know the
>> rest.

> Just out of curiosity how much time in Perl, Elisp, Shell, C#, BF ...

http://code.google.com/p/superpodder/
Uses Rome

Arne Vajh°j

On 5/1/2013 10:19 AM, Chuck Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, Jeff Higgins wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> How much smaller and more self contained do you imagine it could
>>> be?

>> Chuck hasn't provided any SSCCE, at lease not anything in the true
>> spirit.

> 2) I'm a working student who is just working on a personal project
> for fun; I don't have lots of time. I did this same project in
> Python and it took me nowhere near the time it is taking me in Java.
> I guess it's my naive belief that a programmer should be able to
> reuse someone's code without spending as much time studying it as it
> would to just write my own.

Maybe Python is better for the given task.

Maybe you are better at Python than at Java.

> 3) As for the SSCCE, I don't know what more I can give you. Like I
> said before in my first post, you have all the code I've wrote, save
> the import statements and class declaration, which I didn't include
> because I was trying to adhere to SSCCE.

One of the C's stand for compilable so excluding imports and class
declaration is not really adhering to SSCCE.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 5/1/2013 3:15 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 04/30/2013 09:33 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:

>>> A) Not relevant.
>>> B) Not really going to do what you intend.
>>> C) Don't use raw types.

>> Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
>> that has a method that return a raw type!!!!
>>

> Well, you have a point but:
> Chuck has demonstrated only a serious lack of gumption.
>
> > Here is what I tried: (everything works great, but getting enclosure
> > contents/values)

> And then copy pasted a few lines from some web site and added a single
> (misguided) line at the end, but hasn't shown that he understands any
> of it.
>
> I can't find the docs.
> I can't read the docs.
> I guess it returns a List, what now boss?
> It will take a lot of time.
> It will take a lot of effort
> I was looking more for a wiki/tutorial, or someone who has used it before.
>
> comp.lang.java.rentaprogrammer/tutor is <thataway>

Possible.

But then there must be better points to make than objecting
against that @SuppressWarnings.

Arne

Lew

Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> But then there must be better points to make than objecting
> against that @SuppressWarnings.

You haven't established that that is an imperative, nor that the point
about suppressing raw-type warnings is not good, nor that other points were
not made, since they were.

It is a rather important principle in Java not to use raw types.

So how is that not a good point? Especially when served as part of a sm÷rgasbord of
useful questions, advice and requests for clarification.

How about you not dissuade the OP from following good advice?

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j

On 5/1/2013 9:42 PM, Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> But then there must be better points to make than objecting
>> against that @SuppressWarnings.

> You haven't established that that is an imperative, nor that the point
> about suppressing raw-type warnings is not good, nor that other points were
> not made, since they were.
>
> It is a rather important principle in Java not to use raw types.
>
> So how is that not a good point? Especially when served as part of a sm÷rgasbord of
> useful questions, advice and requests for clarification.
>
> How about you not dissuade the OP from following good advice?

Let me repeat myself:

Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> Let me repeat myself:
>
> #Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
> #that has a method that return a raw type!!!!

Sure:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java+what+do+wi...rns+a+raw+type

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j

On 5/2/2013 3:17 PM, Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> Let me repeat myself:
>>
>> #Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
>> #that has a method that return a raw type!!!!

> Sure:
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java+what+do+wi...rns+a+raw+type

Could you be a bit more specific.

I checked the first 8 links and they either did not suggest
a solution or suggested @SuppressWarnings.

I mean: you did try it and found a link before posting right?

Arne

Lew

Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>>> Let me repeat myself:

>>> #Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
>>> #that has a method that return a raw type!!!!

>> Sure:

>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java+what+do+wi...rns+a+raw+type

> Could you be a bit more specific.
>
> I checked the first 8 links and they either did not suggest
> a solution or suggested @SuppressWarnings.
>
> I mean: you did try it and found a link before posting right?

I tried it and found dozens of links mentioned.

If you don't like it, come up with a better query.

What's the matter, you don't know how to use a search engine?

I'm not here to give Google lessons. Look it up yourself.

--
Lew

Arne Vajh°j

On 5/2/2013 9:27 PM, Lew wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:

>>> Sure:

>>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java+what+do+wi...rns+a+raw+type

>> Could you be a bit more specific.
>>
>> I checked the first 8 links and they either did not suggest
>> a solution or suggested @SuppressWarnings.
>>
>> I mean: you did try it and found a link before posting right?

> I tried it and found dozens of links mentioned.
>
> If you don't like it, come up with a better query.
>
> What's the matter, you don't know how to use a search engine?
>
> I'm not here to give Google lessons. Look it up yourself.

Are you telling me that you are criticizing someone for
using @SuppressWarnings in a specific context and you
don't have an alternative to suggest?

Arne