Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Getting Enclosure Contents using Rome RSS parser

Getting Enclosure Contents using Rome RSS parser

Chuck Johnson

> I had no troubles with the linked project site. The Javadocs downloaded just fine. DId you
>
> try them?
>

> --
>
> Lew

I am not really sure how to use javadocs to find what I'm looking for. I don't know what class or what methods to look at. I'm pretty sure there a lots & lots of methods, so I would probably spend hours & hours looking for the right method(s). I was looking more for a wiki/tutorial, or someone who has used it before.

Thanks, though.

Lew

Chuck Johnson wrote:

Again, please attribute citations. Did you not notice this request before?

[Lew wrote:]
>> I had no troubles with the linked project site. The Javadocs downloaded just fine. DId you
>> try them?

> I am not really sure how to use javadocs to find what I'm looking for. I don't know what class or what

Lots and lots of reading. Start with the summary of packages and work from there.

> methods to look at. I'm pretty sure there a lots & lots of methods, so I would probably spend hours &
> hours looking for the right method(s).

You say that as if it were a reason not to do it. It isn't. That would be time very well spent.

And the Rome Javadocs aren't all /that/ huge.

> I was looking more for a wiki/tutorial, or someone who has
> used it before.

Too bad. Instead of rejecting the help you are getting in favor of the help you're not,
get over it and accept the help you are getting.

> Thanks, though.

No need to get snarky. Just follow the advice.

But since you don't like our advice, or our links, or respect requests for an SSCCE, try here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java+Rome+RSS+library

There seem to be some useful links there.

--
Lew

Arne Vajhøj

On 4/30/2013 4:59 PM, Lew wrote:
> Chuck Johnson wrote:
>
>> [attribution restored: please attribute citations]
>> Lew wrote:
>>> First of all, OP, don't ever do this:
>>>
>>> @SuppressWarnings("rawtypes") ...
>>>
>>> Second, give us this, please:
>>>
>>> http://sscce.org/
>>>
>>> As to docs for Rome, where have you looked so far?

>> I suppressed warnings because I'm just trying to get Rome to work,

> A) Not relevant.
> B) Not really going to do what you intend.
> C) Don't use raw types.

Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
that has a method that return a raw type!!!!

Arne

Jeff Higgins

On 04/30/2013 09:33 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 4/30/2013 4:59 PM, Lew wrote:
>> Chuck Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> [attribution restored: please attribute citations]

>>> I suppressed warnings because I'm just trying to get Rome to work,

>> A) Not relevant.
>> B) Not really going to do what you intend.
>> C) Don't use raw types.

> Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
> that has a method that return a raw type!!!!

Well, you have a point but:
Chuck has demonstrated only a serious lack of gumption.

> Here is what I tried: (everything works great, but getting enclosure
> contents/values)

And then copy pasted a few lines from some web site and added a single
(misguided) line at the end, but hasn't shown that he understands any
of it.

I can't find the docs.
I can't read the docs.
I guess it returns a List, what now boss?
It will take a lot of time.
It will take a lot of effort
I was looking more for a wiki/tutorial, or someone who has used it before.

comp.lang.java.rentaprogrammer/tutor is <thataway>

Jeff Higgins

On 05/01/2013 01:59 AM, lipska the kat wrote:
> On 30/04/13 21:59, Lew wrote:
>> Chuck Johnson wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> And I didn't ask for all your code, I asked for an SSCCE.

> How much smaller and more self contained do you imagine it could be?

Chuck hasn't provided any SSCCE, at lease not anything in the true spirit.

Chuck Johnson

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, Jeff Higgins wrote:
> On 05/01/2013 01:59 AM, lipska the kat wrote:
>
> > On 30/04/13 21:59, Lew wrote:

> >> Chuck Johnson wrote:

> > [snip]

> >> And I didn't ask for all your code, I asked for an SSCCE.

> > How much smaller and more self contained do you imagine it could be?

> Chuck hasn't provided any SSCCE, at lease not anything in the true spirit..

1) I wasn't being snarky in the least. I was sincerely thankful.

2) I'm a working student who is just working on a personal project for fun;I don't have lots of time. I did this same project in Python and it took me nowhere near the time it is taking me in Java. I guess it's my naive belief that a programmer should be able to reuse someone's code without spending as much time studying it as it would to just write my own.

3) As for the SSCCE, I don't know what more I can give you. Like I said before in my first post, you have all the code I've wrote, save the import statements and class declaration, which I didn't include because I was trying to adhere to SSCCE.

Jeff Higgins

On 05/01/2013 10:19 AM, Chuck Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, Jeff Higgins wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> How much smaller and more self contained do you imagine it could be?

>> Chuck hasn't provided any SSCCE, at lease not anything in the true spirit.

> 1) I wasn't being snarky in the least. I was sincerely thankful.

I don't recall anyone accusing you of being snarky.

> 2) I'm a working student who is just working on a personal project for fun; I don't have lots of time.

I did this same project in Python and it took me nowhere near the time
it is taking me in Java.

Python is a great programming environment.
Java is a great programming environment.

I guess it's my naive belief that a programmer should be able to reuse
someone's code
without spending as much time studying it as it would to just write my own.

??

> 3) As for the SSCCE, I don't know what more I can give you.

Like I said before in my first post, you have all the code I've wrote,
save the import statements and class declaration,
which I didn't include because I was trying to adhere to SSCCE.

Ill ask again. What does .getEnclosures() return?
Have you found the Javadocs.
Javadocs are the key to programming with Java libraries.
What happens when you:
System.out.println(new ArrayList<String>());

In the code you provided you reference:
SyndFeed
SyndFeedInput
SyndEntry
What are these classes, what method do they expose?
I don't need to know, you do.
getEnclosures()
presumably there is an Enclosure class.
Does it provide a getScent() method?
The Javadocs will answer.
Study the Collections API. You can google it.
Study Java Generics, and her relation to the Collections API. You can
google it.

Jeff Higgins

On 05/01/2013 10:19 AM, Chuck Johnson wrote:

> 2) I'm a working student who is just working on a personal project for fun; I don't have lots of time.

Noone have as much as they would like. It's a juggling act.

I did this same project in Python and it took me nowhere near the time
it is taking me in Java.

All depends on what you hope to accomplish.
If you hope to learn a particular programming language and environment
you'll need to spend the time and effort.
If you're hoping to mash up a particular application, well, you know the
rest.

Jeff Higgins

On 05/01/2013 11:37 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:

> If you're hoping to mash up a particular application, well, you know the
> rest.

Just out of curiosity how much time in Perl, Elisp, Shell, C#, BF ...

Jeff Higgins

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/can_i_t...ll_script.html