Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python platform/framework for new RESTful web app

Python platform/framework for new RESTful web app

Eric Frederich

If I wanted to create a new web application (RESTful) today with Python
what are my options given the following requirements.

* Google Account authentication
* Facebook authentication
* Managed hosting (like Google App Engine or Heroku) but with the ability
to be self-hosted later down the road.

I am familiar with Django (well I was a 3 years ago).
I have played a little with web.py and like the ideas there.

I like the idea of using something like GAE but don't want to be locked in.

Is Django the answer?
I think you can run Django on GAE (and obviously you can self-host it).
I see there is a Django REST framework. Is this a good framework?
Are there good Google and Facebook authentication extensions?

Thanks,
~Eric