Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > OT: Standalone Turnkey Home-Phone Exchanges?

OT: Standalone Turnkey Home-Phone Exchanges?

(PeteCresswell)

i.e. a box where one plugs the telco line into one end and their home
phone system into the other end and which provides at least the service
of an interactive announcement: "Press 1 for Sue, Press 2 for Dave,
Press 3 for Paul......".

Nice-to-haves would be some sort of scalable call acceptance where
callers with certain IDs get routed right through to a specified
extension without hearing any announcement.

Is there anything like that currently available?
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

>Is there anything like that currently available?

FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.

That being the case, the device in question would not need to serve
multiple extensions.

The "Press 1 for Sue, Press 2 for Dave, Press 3 for Paul......" is just
the challenge part. Really, there would be only one key that does
anything - buried at the end of the prompt.

A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
leave a message.
--
Pete Cresswell

Bob Eager

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:03:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>
>> my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.

> To speak to the householder, enter the largest prime number which is a
> factor of the number you dialled, followed by the hash key ...

The hash key of what?

Nick

On 24/04/2013 19:38, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (PeteCresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Per (PeteCresswell):
>>>
>>> Is there anything like that currently available?

>> FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.
>>
>> That being the case, the device in question would not need to serve
>> multiple extensions.
>>
>> The "Press 1 for Sue, Press 2 for Dave, Press 3 for Paul......" is just
>> the challenge part. Really, there would be only one key that does
>> anything - buried at the end of the prompt.
>>
>> A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
>> presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
>> leave a message.

> The generic answer is: Linux PC running Asterisk.
>
> There are several turnkey installations avalable. Start googling!
>
> freepbx, pbxinaflash and many others...
>
> There are also many paid-for ones, but they're not as flexible as the
> free ones ime.
>
> Gordon

In terms of user friendliness and ease of installation Asterisk is
pretty nasty. The same also appears to go for Freepbx. i.e. in this
context very much an enthusiast toy rather than a utility.

Graham.

On 24 Apr 2013 21:05:26 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:03:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>
>>> my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.

>> To speak to the householder, enter the largest prime number which is a
>> factor of the number you dialled, followed by the hash key ...

>The hash key of what?

Hexadecimal dial? Even 4 column DTMF only goes up to "D".

Where's "Spinal Tap" when you need them?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:36:07 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Per (PeteCresswell):
>>
>>Is there anything like that currently available?

>FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.
>
>That being the case, the device in question would not need to serve
>multiple extensions.
>
>The "Press 1 for Sue, Press 2 for Dave, Press 3 for Paul......" is just
>the challenge part. Really, there would be only one key that does
>anything - buried at the end of the prompt.
>
>A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
>presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
>leave a message.

I am just playing with such a system now, Raspbx running on a headless
Raspberry Pi.

It will do all of that plus lot's more, like DISA and call recording.

You will need some hardware with an FXO port for your landline. My
system uses only VoIP trunks, I might try adding a GSM trunk because I
think I have a compatible USB dongle that someone has written the code
for.

Total outlay, about $54 and almost negligible running costs.

Has the Raspberry Pi made as much impact in the US as it has here?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

(PeteCresswell)

Per R. Mark Clayton:
>BT have recently released a phone that will ignore withheld, unavailable
>etc. calls - Google up.

Sounds hopeful in that somebody besides Yours Truly is obsessing about
this issue.

Given that their "TrueCall" black box can front-end an existing
handset system, that's a Good Thing.... as opposed to having to shell
out for each hand set.

I like the "Do Not Disturb" mode - assuming it has a timer on it and
does not have to be manually reset.

But it seems to fall short.

To wit:

- It only ignores blacklisted and "Unavailable" numbers. The robocalls
and solicitors I get on my cell phone almost always supply a number.
Being too cheap to pay the extra for CallerID on my land line I don't
know for sure about the calls we get there... but it seems reasonable
to assume it's the same situation.

- Per http://tinyurl.com/c6dx24a
"And itís worth noting the TPS cannot stop calls from
international companies or from companies that choose to ignore
the rules."

Based on the lame-sounding letters I was getting from
the Pennsylvania (USA) attorney general's office in response to
reported DNC list violations, I suspect that most robo and solicitor
calls are international and made via VOIP providers.
--
Pete Cresswell

Theo Markettos

Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am just playing with such a system now, Raspbx running on a headless
> Raspberry Pi.
>
> It will do all of that plus lot's more, like DISA and call recording.
>
> You will need some hardware with an FXO port for your landline. My
> system uses only VoIP trunks, I might try adding a GSM trunk because I
> think I have a compatible USB dongle that someone has written the code
> for.

I was hoping there was a way to use a USB Winmodem as an FXO port, but I
failed to find anything...

Theo

Bob Eager

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:36:08 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Graham. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am just playing with such a system now, Raspbx running on a headless
>> Raspberry Pi.
>>
>> It will do all of that plus lot's more, like DISA and call recording.
>>
>> You will need some hardware with an FXO port for your landline. My
>> system uses only VoIP trunks, I might try adding a GSM trunk because I
>> think I have a compatible USB dongle that someone has written the code
>> for.

> I was hoping there was a way to use a USB Winmodem as an FXO port, but I
> failed to find anything...

Cheapest and most reliable way to get an FXO port seems to be about 50
quid - an SPA3102.

Owain

On Apr 24, 7:36*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> FWIW, my real agenda is to add challenge-response to my home phone.
> A strong nice-to-have would be that the phone never rings if somebody
> presses the wrong key, but that they would be offered the opportunity to
> leave a message.

Truecall will do that, I think.

You can set a 1, 2 or 3 digit pass code which trusted callers can use
to get past the device. Other callers can leave a message.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/call-bloc...lers-code.aspx

Owain