Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is Unicode support so hard...

Is Unicode support so hard...

88888 Dihedral

jmfauth於 2013年4月21日星期日UTC+8上午1時12分43秒 寫道:
> In a previous post,
>

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....c70817705c226#
>
> ,
>

> Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
>

> “Is Unicode support so hard, especially in the 21st century?”
>

> --
>

> Unicode is not really complicate and it works very well (more
>
> than two decades of development if you take into account
>
> iso-14****).
>

> But, - I can say, "as usual" - people prefer to spend their
>
> time to make a "better Unicode than Unicode" and it usually
>
> fails. Python does not escape to this rule.
>

> -----
>

> I'm "busy" with TeX (unicode engine variant), fonts and typography.
>
> This gives me plenty of ideas to test the "flexible string
>
> representation" (FSR). I should recognize this FSR is failing
>
> particulary very well...
>

> I can almost say, a delight.
>

> jmf
>
> Unicode lover

To support the unicode is easy in the language part.
But to support the unicode in a platform involves
the OS and the display and input hardware devices
which are not suitable to be free most of the time.

Terry Jan Reedy

On 4/20/2013 9:37 PM, rusi wrote:

> I believe that the recent correction in unicode performance followed
> jmf's grumbles

No, the correction followed upon his accurate report of a regression,
last August, which was unfortunately mixed in with grumbles and
inaccurate claims. Others separated out and verified the accurate
report. I reported it to pydev and enquired as to its necessity, I
believe Mark opened the tracker issue, and the two people who worked on
optimizing 3.3 a year ago fairly quickly came up with two different
patches. The several month delay after was a matter of testing and
picking the best approach.

Mark Lawrence

On 21/04/2013 10:02, Terry Jan Reedy wrote:
> On 4/20/2013 9:37 PM, rusi wrote:
>
>> I believe that the recent correction in unicode performance followed
>> jmf's grumbles

> No, the correction followed upon his accurate report of a regression,
> last August, which was unfortunately mixed in with grumbles and
> inaccurate claims. Others separated out and verified the accurate
> report. I reported it to pydev and enquired as to its necessity, I
> believe Mark opened the tracker issue, and the two people who worked on
> optimizing 3.3 a year ago fairly quickly came up with two different
> patches. The several month delay after was a matter of testing and
> picking the best approach.

I'd again like to point out that all I did was raise the issue. It was
based on data provided by Steven D'Aprano and confirmed by Serhiy Storchaka.

--
If you're using GoogleCrap please read this
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

Mark Lawrence