Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Map site free for all

Map site free for all

RayC

www.topomap.co.nz

You can double click right down to immense detail, then call
up satellite images of all NZ

You can select a segment and print it out.

you can search for details and names.

My employer paid $150.00 for this 5 years ago.

Enjoy NZ

Donchano

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:43:30 +1200, "RayC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>www.topomap.co.nz
>
>You can double click right down to immense detail, then call
>up satellite images of all NZ
>
>You can select a segment and print it out.
>
>you can search for details and names.
>
>My employer paid $150.00 for this 5 years ago.
>
>Enjoy NZ

Thanks. I still have the original software & maps. But it's no longer
loaded on my computer since I upgraded. Just as easy to use the web
version.

JohnO

On Friday, 19 April 2013 21:08:38 UTC+12, EMB wrote:
> On 19/04/2013 5:43 p.m., RayC wrote:
>

> > My employer paid $150.00 for this 5 years ago.

> So did I. And at the time it was a bargain.

I remember back in the day paying what seemed a small fortune for RNZN marine charts. And then you had to keep updating them from the published notices.

Nowdays you can download them for free and if you have a good enough printer, print them out. I just with they had them online in a zoomable format these topo maps are in. The hi res charts are in TIFF format and I need to find a decent application to view them with. MSPaint dies pretty bad due to the memory required to load them in.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

> On Friday, 19 April 2013 21:08:38 UTC+12, EMB wrote:
> > On 19/04/2013 5:43 p.m., RayC wrote:
> >

> > > My employer paid $150.00 for this 5 years ago.

> > So did I. And at the time it was a bargain.

> I remember back in the day paying what seemed a small fortune for RNZN
> marine charts. And then you had to keep updating them from the
> published notices.
>
> Nowdays you can download them for free and if you have a good enough
> printer, print them out. I just with they had them online in a
> zoomable format these topo maps are in. The hi res charts are in TIFF
> format and I need to find a decent application to view them with.
> MSPaint dies pretty bad due to the memory required to load them in.

If you want to combine a free chart plotter and the NZ marine charts,
use OpenCPN and ALL the NZ nautical charts that some nice chap has
compiled into directly useable OpenCPN format...

http://opencpn.org/

http://mce66.altervista.org/software...al_Raster_Maps
(NewZealandNauticalCharts_V37.7z)

--
Duncan.

JohnO

On Saturday, 20 April 2013 15:39:59 UTC+12, Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> (E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

> > > So did I. And at the time it was a bargain.

> > I remember back in the day paying what seemed a small fortune for RNZN

> > marine charts. And then you had to keep updating them from the

> > published notices.

> > Nowdays you can download them for free and if you have a good enough

> > printer, print them out. I just with they had them online in a

> > zoomable format these topo maps are in. The hi res charts are in TIFF

> > format and I need to find a decent application to view them with.

> > MSPaint dies pretty bad due to the memory required to load them in.

> If you want to combine a free chart plotter and the NZ marine charts,
>
> use OpenCPN and ALL the NZ nautical charts that some nice chap has
>
> compiled into directly useable OpenCPN format...
>

> http://opencpn.org/
>

> http://mce66.altervista.org/software...al_Raster_Maps
>
> (NewZealandNauticalCharts_V37.7z)
>

> --