Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Binary Pixel and High Dynamic Range Imaging

Re: Binary Pixel and High Dynamic Range Imaging

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> https://talks.stanford.edu/ai1ec_eve...g/?instance_id
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/d3pep2t

> I don't quite know what's going on here. Can anyone throw any light on
> what is meant by 'binary pixels'?

Oh, they just let the pixels overflow, empty them then and
count how often that happens. Probably using pixels that
overflow whenever a photon or three are captured, compared to
our many 10's of thousands sensors.

I had similar ideas, (count the time to overflow, very bright
pixels overflowing really fast), but (unfortunately) didn't
get the step to 'multiple overflows', which solves certain
problem with non-static scenes. Oh well, I'm not a professional
sensor designer.

-Wolfgang

David Taylor

On 18/04/2013 18:10, Alfred Molon wrote:
> I wonder how the noise performance is, because perhaps the step of
> discharging the pixel could introduce some inaccuracies or the threshold
> when the pixel is discharged perhaps is not so exactly measured. These
> inaccuracies would mean additional noise.

If you have so many photons you're getting overflows, does noise matter?
I suppose it depends what the overflow count is, though....
--
Cheers,
David

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I wonder how the noise performance is, because perhaps the step of
> discharging the pixel could introduce some inaccuracies

Same as A/D converting. There's also noise added and
inaccuracies introduced.

> or the threshold
> when the pixel is discharged perhaps is not so exactly measured.

That only matters if that influences the end result more than
tolerable as defined by the maker and sold to the customer
(e.g. smartphone makers).

> These
> inaccuracies would mean additional noise.

On the other hand you are not limited at all by the limited
well size.

-Wolfgang