Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Getting photos from a friend with a Mac

Re: Getting photos from a friend with a Mac

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rikishi42
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > That is still an attachment, and Apple "Mail" will treat it as such if
> > dragged & dropped, or attached via menu.
> > In the example below I dragged an image file to the text field. The
> > recipient will see the image in the text field and will also have an
> > attachment which can be saved or opened in an application of choice.
> >< https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...enshot_198.jpg >

> But the OP received a 640x480 image. Clearly NOT an unmodified attachment.
> If the reduction in size was only in the layout of the mail, and there was
> also a full, unmodified image filed attached, then this thread wouldn't
> exist. The OP knows her way 'round a computer, so she wouldn't have
> confused the one for the other.

it was resized when sent. apple mail does this automatically because
sending large photos is obnoxious and sending two copies is even more
obnoxious.

> > Always has been. Attaching and/or "embedding" in the Mac world are one
> > and the same.

> Attaching and embedding are not notions defined in the Mac world. They are
> part of the platform-independant definition of what a mail is.

correct, yet some email apps get it wrong. apple mail encodes it
properly, but has to have extra code to deal with broken email clients,
namely older versions of windows outlook, which is what the windows
compatibility option is for.

> >> The question as I understand it was: how can the friend attach, rather then
> >> embed, so the mail delivers the full picture.

> > See above.

> Allright, let's put it in another way: how can she send a file in
> attachment. Not specifically an image, just any kind of file. Even one that
> a Mac wouldn't open. Just sending a file to someone.

zipping it will guarantee it's treated as an attachment, but a better
solution is use a better email app.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> The question as I understand it was: how can the friend attach, rather then
> >> embed, so the mail delivers the full picture.

> > You drop the image in the mail and select (upper right above the message
> > text) "Actual Size". That is how you "attach" an image.

> Nope. Not if you can select a size. That's "inserting" an image in a text or
> "embedding", it's not attaching a file. It means you edit (resize, in this
> case) the image for the purpose of fitting it into the text's layout.

no, it means the image is made smaller prior to sending because sending
large images is obnoxious.

> When you attach a file, that file can be any kind of file; it's allways send
> unmodified alongside the mail.

the images are sent unmodified (other than resized on the fly).

whether they are displayed inline or not depends on how the recipient's
email app handles the content disposition tag. some get it wrong.

PeterN

On 4/18/2013 8:21 PM, nospam wrote:

<snip>

> zipping it will guarantee it's treated as an attachment, but a better
> solution is use a better email app.

Whether the size of an attachment is obnoxious, is an issue between me
and the recipient. I recently had to send a large document. resizing
would have destroyed its usefulness.

--
PeterN

nospam

In article <isw-16CC27.21450318042013@[216.168.3.50]>, isw
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > html mail is also bigger than it needs to be if there's just text in it.

> It's been quite a while since the size of a message mattered even
> slightly to most folks.

it matters on smartphones, where bigger emails cost more to download
and read.

nospam

In article <isw-716A75.21454218042013@[216.168.3.50]>, isw
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Using the menu option for "attachments" there is a check box in the
> > dialog "to use Windows friendly" attachments.

> Yup. I have it checked, but I don't know what it does.

basically, to work around bugs in outlook.

nospam

In article <2013041905282711272-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> It's been quite a while since the size of a message mattered even
> >> slightly to most folks.

> > it matters on smartphones, where bigger emails cost more to download
> > and read.

> However, this thread deals strictly with a computer to computer issue
> with the OP's computer-averse, Mac user friend. Throw in a smartphone
> and I think you will have lost her completely.

i'm not suggesting she use a smartphone.

what i'm saying is email that is unnecessarily large *is* an issue for
many people.

plain text works well.

> Personally, I only use Verizon (3G for my iPhone), if I am going to be
> away from my Wi-Fi home or any other hotspot/hotel Wi-Fi for any
> extended time or I am expecting an urgent communication. So I don't
> experience the burden on my data plan that others might.

that works well if you're near wifi. if you're not, then it falls on
3g/4g.

nospam

In article <2013041906301327544-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> > plain text works well.

> However, there are times folks may need to exchange files.
> ...and one picture can replace a 1,000 words.

exchanging files, sure.

what i'm talking about is mail with multiple fonts, sometimes in colour
and different sizes (that is bad enough), but may also have embedded
links to pull in photos (even worse).

that almost always does nothing to get the message across any better.

or, it has a web bug, an invisible image that shows up in the sender's
logs, so they sender knows the email was opened. spammers use that to
confirm the email is valid. blocking that is easy but not everyone does
it.

nospam

In article <2013041907190277923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> However, there are times folks may need to exchange files.
> >> ...and one picture can replace a 1,000 words.

> > exchanging files, sure.
> >
> > what i'm talking about is mail with multiple fonts, sometimes in colour
> > and different sizes (that is bad enough), but may also have embedded
> > links to pull in photos (even worse).
> >
> > that almost always does nothing to get the message across any better.
> >
> > or, it has a web bug, an invisible image that shows up in the sender's
> > logs, so they sender knows the email was opened. spammers use that to
> > confirm the email is valid. blocking that is easy but not everyone does
> > it.

> I am not in favor of the "pretty", or HTML email.

agreed.

PeterN

On 4/18/2013 8:59 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2013.04.18 20:44 , PeterN wrote:
>> On 4/18/2013 8:21 PM, nospam wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> zipping it will guarantee it's treated as an attachment, but a better
>>> solution is use a better email app.
>>>

>> Whether the size of an attachment is obnoxious, is an issue between me
>> and the recipient. I recently had to send a large document. resizing
>> would have destroyed its usefulness.

> The subject was photos. What Apple Mail does is resize the JPG to
> reduce how many bytes it takes. Up to the sender to select "as is" or
> smaller sizes.
>
> As to documents, when they're over a few MB, it is better to use
> something like Dropbox and send a link.

Usually, but there are times when an attachment is easier than
explaining how to download a linked file.

--
PeterN