Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Cross-compiling Python for ARM?

Cross-compiling Python for ARM?

Gilles

Hello

I tried running uWSGI on an ARM-based appliance, but it fails.

Apparently, it could be due to the official Python 2.6.6 interpreter
in the depot not being compiled the way uWSGI expects it to be:

../configure --enable-shared; make; make install;
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=32&t=15370

I see Python mentioned in /usr/lib and /usr/share, and was wondering
if all it'd take to solve this issue, is just to cross-compile the
interpreter and the rest is just CPU-agnostic Python scripts.

Just in case, here's the output:
www.pastebin.com/wJHjBrfn

Thank you.

Terry Jan Reedy

On 4/15/2013 11:20 AM, Gilles wrote:
> Hello
>
> I tried running uWSGI on an ARM-based appliance, but it fails.
>
> Apparently, it could be due to the official Python 2.6.6 interpreter
> in the depot not being compiled the way uWSGI expects it to be:
>
> ./configure --enable-shared; make; make install;
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=32&t=15370
>
> I see Python mentioned in /usr/lib and /usr/share, and was wondering
> if all it'd take to solve this issue, is just to cross-compile the
> interpreter and the rest is just CPU-agnostic Python scripts.
>
> Just in case, here's the output:
> www.pastebin.com/wJHjBrfn

I believe some cross-compile support was added to 2.7.4 but I do not
know the exact nature.

Anssi Saari

Gilles <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I see Python mentioned in /usr/lib and /usr/share, and was wondering
> if all it'd take to solve this issue, is just to cross-compile the
> interpreter and the rest is just CPU-agnostic Python scripts.

I suppose. In any case, cross compiling Python shouldn't be that hard. I
just recently built 2.7.3 for my OpenWRT router since the packaged
Python didn't have readline support (some long standing linking issue
with readline and ncurses and uClibc).

Gilles

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:22:55 +0300, Anssi Saari <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In any case, cross compiling Python shouldn't be that hard. I
>just recently built 2.7.3 for my OpenWRT router since the packaged
>Python didn't have readline support (some long standing linking issue
>with readline and ncurses and uClibc).

Thanks guys. Turns out the error was not due to Python, so the ARM
version available in the Debian depot is fine.