Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

Re: Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

Poutnik

Danny D. posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:58:17 +0000 (UTC)

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:55:04 -0700 Oren wrote:
>
> > Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
> > eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
> > only?

> I would NOT add text with Irfanview. Use Paint.NET.
> Muuuuuch easier & more intuitive.

To defend IV,
it is rather viewer with added simple editing capabilities.

--
Poutnik

Danny D.

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:08:39 +0200 Poutnik wrote:

>> I would NOT add text with Irfanview. Use Paint.NET.
>> Muuuuuch easier & more intuitive.

> To defend IV,
> it is rather viewer with added simple editing capabilities.

I do agree that IrfanView is absolutely fantastic as the best
picture "viewer" on the PC, bar none. Mainly it's fast. Really
really really fast. Twice as fast as most programs, and ten
times faster than a lot of them.

Even though IrfanView is only a "viewer", we all know IV also
does CROPPING wonderfully (click, click, crop). It converts
to various formats nicely (e.g., JPEG -> GIF); and IrfanView
is great with batch renamin and resizing operations (which
aren't so easy on the Windows operating system elsewise).

However, when it comes to TEXTING, drawing CIRCLES, and
especially curved ARROWs, IrfanView stinks. For that,
I'd suggest Paint.NET ...

The funny thing is that TEXTING is done wrong on almost
all picture editing programs in that they force you to
choose the area BEFORE you type a single character!

What's inexplicable about that is there is no need for
that. With Paint.NET, you simply type. No need to choose
any area whatsoever.

Likewise, arrows are almost atrocious how they're handled
on most picture-editing programs. With most, all you can do
is manually draw a curve and then manually draw an arrowhead
and you can just about forget doing dashed lines.

With Paint.NET, it's all done for you. You just draw the
arrow point 1, and then point 2, and it's done for you.
(You've pre-selected the type of arrow, direction,
arrowhead, dashes, color, etc., as the default.)

On the other hand, drawing circles and boxes around things
is relatively easy in most programs, but heaven forbid
trying to do it in something powerful like The Gimp. You'll
go crazy. Sure, it 'can' be done; but you'd die trying.

Irfanview isn't too bad with drawing circles, but, since
you NEED paint.net for the arrows and text, you may as
well draw the circles there.

In summary, IrfanView is a fantastic picture-viewing program,
which is fast and simple and powerful ... but it stinks for
the basic annotation of DIY-style photos. For for that,
Paint.NET is the best (although others will work too).

Note: This is all on Windows. For Linux, the corresponding
best DIY-photo editing program is the combination of
ImageMagick for batch operations, and Kolourpaint for the
manual texting, arrowing, and circling of objects.

Danny D.

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:12:17 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

> However, when it comes to TEXTING, drawing CIRCLES, and
> especially curved ARROWs, IrfanView stinks.

For the record, today I needed to reproduce a firefox bug
on both WinXP and on Linux, so, I created essentially the
same screenshot on each platform:

Windows:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12745022.gif
Linux:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12745771.png

OBSERVATION:
I haven't been on Windows for a while, so, I had forgotten what
a fantastic dream Paint.net was in terms of usability (as compared
to what exists on Linux) in performing the three basic screenshot
annotation tasks of:
(a) texting (you just click & type ... that's it!)
(b) circling (you just click & sweep ... that's it!)
(c) arrowing (you just click & click ... that's it!)

In comparison the critical annotation triad on Linux was kludgey
at best.
(a) texting (you have to pre-select the text area ... yuck)
(b) circling (you just click and sweep ... so this is good)
(c) arrowing (all manual ... especially dashes, curves & heads)

Note: It's amazing that, on Linux, there isn't a single decent
freeware program for these three simple tasks that even comes
close to comparing to what exists on Windows - and - on Windows,
it's amazing that only one program does all three tasks correctly
(i.e., efficiently).