Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vscollage

Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vscollage

Danny D.

I looked up the difference between montage and collage
and was confused by the results.

In (Am) English, is there any difference, today, between
the use of montage vs collage?

Here, for example, is one confusing explanation:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5705493_di...e-collage.html

Yet, this one really confuses me:
http://www.englishforums.com/English...xjzjx/post.htm

But here's one that discerns between the two by media:
http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...s-collage.html

Does anyone really know what the difference is between montage & collage?

me

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:01:43 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I looked up the difference between montage and collage
>and was confused by the results.
>
>In (Am) English, is there any difference, today, between
>the use of montage vs collage?
>
>Here, for example, is one confusing explanation:
>http://www.ehow.com/facts_5705493_di...e-collage.html
>
>Yet, this one really confuses me:
>http://www.englishforums.com/English...xjzjx/post.htm
>
>But here's one that discerns between the two by media:
>http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...s-collage.html
>
>Does anyone really know what the difference is between montage & collage?

The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

Danny D.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

> The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
> Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
> add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

Don Phillipson

"Danny D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kkecs7$uno$(E-Mail Removed)...

>I looked up the difference between montage and collage
> and was confused by the results.

It helps to remember how these French words entered the
English language 100 years ago. Both named real activities
for which there were then no words in English viz.:
Collage = making a picture by sticking together various
different fragments. (Colle is French for glue, hence the
verb and back-formed noun collage = gluing.)
Montage was used to identify film editors' methods of
integrating separately filmed sequences in order to
tell a coherent story in a particular way. (Monter is the
French verb for getting ready, the way you mount a
horse, mount a school exhibition, mount a military
operation, etc.)
and both entered everyday English approx. 1920-40.

Half the natural occurences of these words nowadays no
longer concern pictures (still or moving), i.e. are metaphorical.
But some difference is preserved, viz:
Collage means sticking things together
Montage something subtler and less mechanical.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:11:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:
>
>> The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
>> Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
>> add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

>Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
>was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
>recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.
>
> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671545.jpg
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png
>
>Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
>week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

You could call them "composites".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Danny D.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:13:22 -0500 CRNG wrote:

>>I would say that those are a montage.
>>They are individual photographs arranged on a background. They are not
>>arranged to create another image from parts of each as I would expect
>>in a collage. They are not laid out tile-like to form a pattern or
>>image as one might expect with a mosaic construction.

Wow. Nice. Simple. Very easy to understand.

montage ==> separate images slapped together
collage ==> one image from separate images
mosaic ==> a pattern from separate images

Montage it is!

Thanks!

dadiOH

Danny D. wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:
>
>> The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what
>> context. Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably
>> could also add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

> Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
> was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
> recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.
>
> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671545.jpg
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png
>
> Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
> week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

To me - an former photographer - they are montages because they form a
continuous whole.

If I printed each image individually and pasted them up they would be a
collage. It is a continuous whole but made of obviously separate elements
which could be separated into individual elements again.

If I made tiles of various sizes, shapes and colors and formed them into
your image I would call it a mosaic.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH

Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:11:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:
>>
>>> The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what
>>> context. Does you wish to create one and not the other? You
>>> probably could also add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

>> Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
>> was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
>> recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.
>>
>> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671545.jpg
>> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png
>>
>> Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
>> week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

> You could call them "composites".

That works too

Best choice IMO/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Joe Kotroczo

On 14/04/2013 21:21, Don Phillipson wrote:

(...)
> tell a coherent story in a particular way. (Monter is the
> French verb for getting ready, the way you mount a
> horse, mount a school exhibition, mount a military
> operation, etc.)

Getting ready? Ehm... no.

Monter has the following meanings: to ascend to, to climb, to reach, to
increase, to assemble.

Mounting a horse (-> to ascend) is quite different from mounting a
military operation (-> to assemble)

By extension, a "montage" would be an "assembly"