Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What Linux freeware will blur faces & show all frames of a 30second AVI video?

What Linux freeware will blur faces & show all frames of a 30second AVI video?

Danny D.

Q: What's the best freeware on Linux for editing AVIs?

I need to edit a short 30-second AVI video from a Nikon D5000 &
would like to ask what is the best Linux (Centos) freeware for
the two tasks of:
a) Blurring out a face for about 10 seconds in the 30 second clip
b) Seeing all the frames, and deleting one or two frames as needed

May I ask those who have done this:
Q: What's the best freeware on Linux for editing AVIs?

NOTE: The only video editor currently installed is the avidemux
video editor, which I've used to convert file formats.

LaVerne Streep-Herford

On Apr 13, 9:05*pm, "Danny D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Q: What's the best freeware on Linux for editing AVIs?
>
> I need to edit a short 30-second AVI video from a Nikon D5000 &
> would like to ask what is the best Linux (Centos) freeware for
> the two tasks of:
> a) Blurring out a face for about 10 seconds in the 30 second clip
> b) Seeing all the frames, and deleting one or two frames as needed
>
> May I ask those who have done this:
> Q: What's the best freeware on Linux for editing AVIs?
>
> NOTE: The only video editor currently installed is the avidemux
> video editor, which I've used to convert file formats.

DO NOT ASK BEAR, CORLISS, POTTER, NICODEMUS. THEY ARE RETARDED.
THEIR ANSWERS ARE DICTATED TO THEM BY CHINK FU MANCHU CLONES. SEEK
ANSWERS FROM FRANK-LIN, OVERCAT, OR POUTNIK.

Danny D.

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 22:13:40 -0700 LaVerne Streep-Herford wrote:

>> NOTE: The only video editor currently installed is the avidemux
>> video editor, which I've used to convert file formats.

All I really need is:
a) View all frames so I can delete the bad ones
b) Blur faces as needed on select frames
c) Optionally, add overlay text for DIY videos

This looks like the sum total of freeware Linux video editors:
01. Avidemux (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
02. Blender VSE (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
03. Cinelerra (Linux)
04. Jahshaka (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
05. Kdenlive (Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD)
06. Kino (Linux)
07. Lightworks (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X versions in the making)
08. LiVES (BSD, IRIX, Linux, Solaris)
09. Lumiera (Linux)
10. OpenShot Video Editor (Linux)
11. PiTiVi (Linux)
12. VideoLan Movie Creator (Linux)

I'm starting to read up on some of them, as the expense in freeware
is gleaning the necessary knowledge of which ones are worth exploring
further:

http://linux.about.com/od/softeditor...deoediting.htm
Kino, LiVES, OpenShot

http://www.pitivi.org
Pitivi

http://www.linux.com/news/software/a...-video-editors
OpenShot, Blender, Cinelarra

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-li...ystem-software
Avidemux, Cinelerra, Kdenlive, Kino, LiVES

Shadow

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 04:05:23 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Q: What's the best freeware on Linux for editing AVIs?
>
>I need to edit a short 30-second AVI video from a Nikon D5000 &
>would like to ask what is the best Linux (Centos) freeware for
>the two tasks of:
>a) Blurring out a face for about 10 seconds in the 30 second clip
>b) Seeing all the frames, and deleting one or two frames as needed
>
>May I ask those who have done this:
>Q: What's the best freeware on Linux for editing AVIs?
>
>NOTE: The only video editor currently installed is the avidemux
>video editor, which I've used to convert file formats.

I'm having trouble making VLC render subtitles correctly ---
total noob.
But this looked interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISqvkqyvnZM

http://lives.sourceforge.net/index.php?do=tutorial-wiki

Remember, if it's just for a home porn movie, this would be
fine, but a clip of your last bank robbery would probably be worth
reversing. Pixel and blur can be reversed.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Danny D.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:32:09 +0000 rich wrote:

>> Q: What's the best freeware on Linux for editing AVIs?

> As with anything "best" is subjective and depends on how keen you are.

True, philosophically; but not true pragmatically.
One can always find the best freeware available for the required tasks!

This, of course, is the "reds" versus the "whites" of the
freeware community.

One compiles a list of freeware that purports to do the job;
while the other tests the programs that easily do the job.

Neither is right or wrong - and both will vehemently argue - until
and unless, they actually realize they'll never agree simply because
they're arguing wholly different points of view that actually have
no common ground until they realize that one fact that there is
always a 'best' freeware that does 'all' the necessary tasks 'easily'.

best = all + easily

Confused?

I don't know video-editing software well; so, let's take the case
of common editing tasks for creating pictorial DIYs, where, after
decades, I've come to conclude "only" the following freeware
combination "easily" performs the necessary common tasks of editing
screenshots, diagrams and photos sufficient to explain a DIY task.

Hence, there is absolutely no doubt these are the "best" (for me):
WINDOWS: IrfanView + Paint.NET
LINUX: ImageMagick + KolourPaint

Of course, I'm fully aware that 80% of you will sputter "But Gimp
does everything you need!", and, as a freeware aficionado, I truly
with that were true. But.

Likewise, some on Windows will spout "But IrfanView does everything
you need"; and, again, I would say, "yes, but".

That B-U-T is that both The Gimp & Irvanview, while being fantastic
options, absolutely stink at some of the common but necessary tasks
inherent in editing a DIY collage such as the one below:

For me, for DIY collages, the required 1° & 2° tasks are:
PRIMARY:
- Combining, sizing, cropping, naming, rotating, & format conversion;
SECONDARY:
- On-and-off-graphic texting, circling, and curved arrowing.

Now, almost every picture-editing program will do SOME of the
necessary tasks; and some (like "The GIMP") will do all the
necessary tasks, but, NONE will do all the tasks "easily".

So, now it boils down to a much clearer picture of what
the "BEST" really means - because the harder tasks are the ones
that cause most of the weeding out of the weaker programs like
The Gimp and IrvanView, both of which do not do the critical tasks
easily.

For the tasks listed above, the best program is clearly the
set that I presented. Why? Mainly because all will do some of
the tasks easily, but, none will do the harder arrowing, circling,
and on-and-off-graphic texting easily.

The "best" keyword means "all" the tasks are to be done "easily".

The only combination of software on the planet that EASILY
does the stated necessary tasks is the set I presented. (Of
course, if you point me to software that actually DOES do the
stated tasks easily - I'll be the happiest freeware junkie on the
planet! But I've climbed that mountain many times - hence, that's
why I know the philosophical freeware truisms below:

1. The expense in freeware is finding the BEST for the job at hand.
2. The best freeware does ALL the required tasks EASILY!
3. The definition of required tasks is where we most often differ!

Danny D.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:32:09 +0000 rich wrote:

> Avi is just a container ...
> Open it up in avidmux, go to File -> Properties

This is the resulting output for an AVI from my Nikon D5000 camera:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12691900.png

Video:
Codec 4CC = MJPG
Image Size = 320 x 216
Aspect Ratio = 1:1 (1:1)
Frame Rate = 24.000 fps
Frame Count = 1272 frames
Total Duration = 00:00:53.000

Audio:
Codec = PCMM
Channels = Mono
Bitrate = 22050 Bps / 176 kbps
Variable Bitrate = No
Frequency = 11025 Hz
Total Duration = 00:00:53.000
File Size = 1.11 MB

Danny D.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:18:53 +0000 J G Miller wrote:

> Best according to which and whose criteria?
> Your question is effectively meaningless.

Certainly there is a "best" freeware video editor for the
stated task at hand.
- Linux (by which I mean "native" Linux)
- Video clip (which, Rich pointed out, was a 24fps Motion JPEG)
- Ability to see all frames and remove some
- Blur faces

At the moment, out of the dozen native Linux freeware editors:
Avidemux, Blender, Cinelerra, Jahshaka, Kdenlive, Kino,
Lightworks, LiVES, Lumiera, OpenShot, PiTiVi, & VideoLan

Avidemux was recommended for its simplicity of deleting
frames, and blurring of selected areas.

And OpenShot was suggested as a viable alternative.

And Cinelerra & Kdenlive for blur.

I'll test out the best to see which work for the task at hand.

unruh

On 2013-04-14, Danny D. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:18:53 +0000 J G Miller wrote:
>
>> Best according to which and whose criteria?
>> Your question is effectively meaningless.

> Certainly there is a "best" freeware video editor for the
> stated task at hand.
> - Linux (by which I mean "native" Linux)
> - Video clip (which, Rich pointed out, was a 24fps Motion JPEG)
> - Ability to see all frames and remove some
> - Blur faces
>
> At the moment, out of the dozen native Linux freeware editors:
> Avidemux, Blender, Cinelerra, Jahshaka, Kdenlive, Kino,
> Lightworks, LiVES, Lumiera, OpenShot, PiTiVi, & VideoLan
>
> Avidemux was recommended for its simplicity of deleting
> frames, and blurring of selected areas.
>
> And OpenShot was suggested as a viable alternative.
>
> And Cinelerra & Kdenlive for blur.
>
> I'll test out the best to see which work for the task at hand.

Make sure that you report back on what you found.

Danny D.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:35:45 +0000 unruh wrote:

> Make sure that you report back on what you found.

Of the dozen freeware Linux video editors listed in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iting_software

On Centos 6, only these three installed easily:
avidemux, blender, kino

These 7 did not have a common readily available Centos repository:
cinelerra, jahshaka, lightworks, lives, lumiera, pitivi, videolan

And, these two had repositories found, but failed to install:
kdenlive requires nux-dextop but it wasn't found in nux-dextop
$ sudo yum --enablerepo=nux-dextop install
REPORTS: No package kdenlive available. Error: Nothing to do
$ sudo yum --enablerepo nux.noarch install openshot
REPORTS: Error getting repository data for nux.noarch, repository not found

So, it looks like the only Linux freeware video editors easy to test
for me will be the first three in the list above.