Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > what is the advantage of using maven for java standalone app

what is the advantage of using maven for java standalone app

mcheung63@gmail.com

Hi all
I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone java app?
thanks
from Peter ((E-Mail Removed))

Stanimir Stamenkov

Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:

> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
> java app?

Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to
build a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a
standalone java app?

> from Peter ((E-Mail Removed))

Kind of schizophrenic.

--
Stanimir

mcheung63@gmail.com

Stanimir Stamenkov於 2013年4月13日星期*UTC+8下午10時02分49 寫道:
> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:
>

> > I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please

> > tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone

> > java app?

> Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to
>
> build a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a
>
> standalone java app?
>

> > from Peter ((E-Mail Removed))

> Kind of schizophrenic.
>

> --
>
> Stanimir

advantage is , i can use husdon to do continue integration, this not very possible to a standalone app

Stanimir Stamenkov

Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:

> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
> java app?

By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven
Users mailing list - you may get better answers there:

http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html

--
Stanimir

Arved Sandstrom

On 04/13/2013 12:42 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:
>
>> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
>> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
>> java app?

> By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven Users
> mailing list - you may get better answers there:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html

It's not even at this stage really a Maven question - it's a question of
clarifying why a build system, any build system, in the context of a CI
environment is useful for app development, period.

As one example, why would it make sense to use Maven and Hudson for a
web app, but not use those for (hypothetically) developing the web
server itself? Which latter is, of course, a standalone app.

AHS

mcheung63@gmail.com

Stanimir Stamenkov於 2013年4月13日星期*UTC+8下午11時31分45 寫道:
> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 08:14:45 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:
>
> > Stanimir Stamenkov於 2013年4月13日星期*UTC+8下午10時02分49 寫道:

> >> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:

> >> Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to

> >> build a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a

> >> standalone java app?

> > advantage is , i can use husdon to do continue integration, this

> > not very possible to a standalone app

> Why do you think it is not possible to build a standalone app using
>
> a continuous integration server like Hudson - what's the difference?
>
> Have you seen Eclipse which builds quite a lot of desktop
>
> components, uses Hudson too?
>

> https://hudson.eclipse.org/
>

> --
>
> Stanimir

hi
i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1 hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar for me, i still need a lot ofstep to run it manually, so i think it is not a great advantage.

One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me. That why i ask thequestionin here.
thanks

mcheung63@gmail.com

Stanimir Stamenkov於 2013年4月13日星期*UTC+8下午11時42分12 寫道:
> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:
>

> > I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please

> > tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone

> > java app?

> By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven
>
> Users mailing list - you may get better answers there:
>

> http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
>

> --
>
> Stanimir

thanks for the link

Stanimir Stamenkov

Sun, 14 Apr 2013 00:27:15 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:

> i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1
> hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest
> webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar
> for me, i still need a lot of step to run it manually, so i think
> it is not a great advantage.
>
> One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence
> version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me.
> That why i ask the questionin here.

As Arved Sandstrom points in another reply, your question doesn't
even seem Maven related, but more about "clarifying why a build
system, any build system, in the context of a CI environment is
useful for app development". I think CI server may be useful for
any application - verifying 1) the automated build of the product
works (being Maven or not), after latest changes checked into the
source; 2) the product works as expected after running whatever
automated tests have been created for it.

--
Stanimir

Lew

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> advantage is , i [sic] can use husdon [sic] to do continue integration,
>>> this not very possible to a standalone app

Actually, it is very, very possible.

Simply tell Hudson to run the Ant build.

Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>> Why do you think it is not possible to build a standalone app using
>> a continuous integration server like Hudson - what's the difference?
>>
>> Have you seen Eclipse which builds quite a lot of desktop
>> components, uses Hudson too?
>>
>> https://hudson.eclipse.org/

> i [sic] used husdon [sic] to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat [sic]
> every 1 hour, so when i [sic] browse to my tomcat, i [sic] always see the my
> latest webapp. If i [sic] am doing standalone app, even hudson [sic] can
> build a jar [sic] for me, i [sic] still need a lot of step to run it
> manually, so i [sic] think it is not a great advantage.

What do you mean by "run it manually"?

You can set up Hudson to create a Java WebStart source for the app so you can
run it in one step.

So no, you do not need a lot of steps to run it. Unless one is a "lot".

> One point I agree with maven [sic] is that it can manage the dependence
> version more easily.

More easily than what?

> But this is not a very bid advantage for me.

Isn't it?

--
Lew

znôrt

> hi i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1
> hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest
> webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar for
> me, i still need a lot of step to run it manually, so i think it is
> not a great advantage.

just in case: maven is just a build system, hudson provides continuous
integration and for that it supports maven or many other build systems.

the goal of continuous integration is not that "you seee your last app"
at any moment, but to verify that the app is always in consistent state
at any moment, and that you will know if it is not. this verification is
done by running automated tests when anything changes.

now, these automated tests you have to write yourself, and the tools
needed for this depend entirely on the type and purpose of your apps and
on what you want to test. if you do not have automated testing for that
app then continuous integration is of little value. it may be even
dangerous. some kitten could die, man!

> One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence
> version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me. That
> why i ask the questionin here. thanks

if you alerady use maven and your next project fits, i guess the natural
choice is to keep using maven. the less tools the better, but choose
wisely

maven java build path geo_newbie Java 0 06-01-2011 10:57 PM
Microsoft SQL , Sybase advantage SQL,Advantage database Tommy Computer Support 1 11-29-2007 04:21 AM
[ANN] maven-jstools-plugin v0.2: JS reporting and dependency tools for Maven projects manos Javascript 0 10-06-2007 05:11 PM
tomcat-maven-plugin problem - mvn is looking for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-tomcat-plugin Marcin Cenkier Java 1 04-12-2006 08:00 PM
Convert perl/ cgi web app to standalone perl app learnerplates Perl Misc 8 06-08-2005 05:11 PM

Advertisments