Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > what is the advantage of using maven for java standalone app

what is the advantage of using maven for java standalone app

Arne Vajh°j

On 4/13/2013 7:37 AM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone java app?

The advantages are:
- automatic retrieval of the dependencies
- simple build script if you structure things the Maven way
similar to other types of applications.

For simple desktop apps these benefits may not be so important, but if
you use Maven for other types of apps and very familiar with it, then
it may still make sense to use it for you desktop apps as well.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 4/13/2013 10:02 AM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:
>> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
>> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
>> java app?

> Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to build
> a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a standalone java
> app?

Java SE apps are often much simpler in both dependencies and
packaging than Java EE apps.

But yes - it is fundamentally the same.

Arne

Arne Vajh├Şj

> i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1
> hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest
> webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar for
> me, i still need a lot of step to run it manually, so i think it is
> not a great advantage.

Double clicking on an executable jar file does not count as many
steps in my book.

It is approx the same as clicking on the bookmark in your web browser.

> One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence
> version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me.

No. But if you use Maven for other types of apps, then you should change
the question from "Are there reasons why I should use Maven for desktop
apps?" to "Are there reasons why I should not use Maven for desktop
apps?"

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 4/13/2013 11:42 AM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), /(E-Mail Removed)/:
>
>> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
>> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
>> java app?

> By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven Users
> mailing list - you may get better answers there:

If the question is about how to use Maven: yes.

If the question is whether to use Maven: maybe - skill level
may be high but so will the bias be!

Arne

maven java build path geo_newbie Java 0 06-01-2011 10:57 PM
Microsoft SQL , Sybase advantage SQL,Advantage database Tommy Computer Support 1 11-29-2007 04:21 AM
[ANN] maven-jstools-plugin v0.2: JS reporting and dependency tools for Maven projects manos Javascript 0 10-06-2007 05:11 PM
tomcat-maven-plugin problem - mvn is looking for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-tomcat-plugin Marcin Cenkier Java 1 04-12-2006 08:00 PM
Convert perl/ cgi web app to standalone perl app learnerplates Perl Misc 8 06-08-2005 05:11 PM

Advertisments