Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 8 - so bad it's hastening the death of the PC?

Windows 8 - so bad it's hastening the death of the PC?

~misfit~

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853

[Excerpt:]

"In an attempt to keep the PC relevant, Microsoft released a radical new
version of Windows on October 26. Windows 8 has a completely new look and
forces users to learn new ways to control their machines.
"Unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only didn't
provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the
market," IDC Vice President Bob O'Donnell said."

[/Excerpt]

Am I the only person reminded of the fable of the greedy dog who had a nice
meaty bone and, on crossing a bridge saw his reflection below him in the
water. He wanted the other bone that he saw too so he opened his mouth to
grab it and - of course, lost the bone he had in the process.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853
>
> [Excerpt:]
>
> "In an attempt to keep the PC relevant, Microsoft released a radical
> new version of Windows on October 26. Windows 8 has a completely new
> look and forces users to learn new ways to control their machines.
> "Unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only
> didn't provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have
> slowed the market," IDC Vice President Bob O'Donnell said."
>
> [/Excerpt]
>
> Am I the only person reminded of the fable of the greedy dog who had
> a nice meaty bone and, on crossing a bridge saw his reflection below
> him in the water. He wanted the other bone that he saw too so he
> opened his mouth to grab it and - of course, lost the bone he had in
> the process.

Just saw this too:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...PC_sales_slide

--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Peter Huebner

In article <kk6dim$noe$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853
>
> [Excerpt:]

It seems a slightly preposterous notion to me. It's like saying "the
rebranding of shell petrol stations as Z has destroyed car sales".

If people are buying fewer computers, desktop or schlepptop, then that
probably is mostly due to the customer's perception that they can do
whatever it is they want to do on smaller mobile devices (and why not,
if that's all they want to do) and/or fashion accessory slavery (I see
the ipad-iphone thing as largely fashion driven myself).

I can only liken it to my current situation: many many travellers are
perfectly happy recording their holiday snaps with a ciggy-pack-sized
point and click camera where I lug 10kg's worth of photographic
equipment around. We just have different needs.

You can say what you want about Win8 .. like geoff suggested about the
first thing I did was dump the tiles based interface, install a stardock
programmed start-button modification that gives it more/better
functionality, and I basically don't see a difference from former OSs.
Except that I've been assured (maybe falsely?) that Win8 seems a lot
less demanding of the hardware -- I was told that laptops developed for
Win8 take a big performance hit when re-installed with Win7. Since I
personally haven't seen the need to undertake that experiment I can't
say yay or nay.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kk6dim$noe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853
>>
>> [Excerpt:]
>>
>> "In an attempt to keep the PC relevant, Microsoft released a radical
>> new version of Windows on October 26. Windows 8 has a completely new
>> look and forces users to learn new ways to control their machines.

> For sure. And the first thing anybody that operates by
> keyboard/mouse, or has a touch-screen but doesn't want to squint
> through a smeary screen all day does, is remove all the things that
> make W8 different to W7 !

Agreed. However probably 95% of the folks who buy (or play with, with an eye
to buy) a computer and [l]user-level people. They wouldn't know how to do
what you suggest - or even know that it's possible (and I don't believe that
W7 is an option for the walk-in punter now is it? It certainly wouldn't be
on display).

Frankly, if I were a 'user' and went into a store looking to buy a computing
device, especially a mobile or semi-mobile one and was presented with the
choice of a laptop running W8 or a tablet (and I was used to XP, Vista
<spew> or W7) I'd be likely to get the tablet.

Also, in this theoretical scenario it would be the fact that the tablet,
running a tablet-centric OS was far more user-friendly than a aptop running
a tablet-friendly OS. If I were used to a laptop, were looking to replace
the laptop and I was shown machines running W7 then I'd likely go for
another laptop.

Bottom line: MS are (prematurely) hammering nails into the coffin of the
traditional 'computer' IMO (and the opinions of more than a few journos).
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <kk6dim$noe$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853
>>
>> [Excerpt:]

> It seems a slightly preposterous notion to me. It's like saying "the
> rebranding of shell petrol stations as Z has destroyed car sales".
>
> If people are buying fewer computers, desktop or schlepptop, then that
> probably is mostly due to the customer's perception that they can do
> whatever it is they want to do on smaller mobile devices (and why not,
> if that's all they want to do) and/or fashion accessory slavery (I see
> the ipad-iphone thing as largely fashion driven myself).
>
> I can only liken it to my current situation: many many travellers are
> perfectly happy recording their holiday snaps with a ciggy-pack-sized
> point and click camera where I lug 10kg's worth of photographic
> equipment around. We just have different needs.
>
> You can say what you want about Win8 .. like geoff suggested about the
> first thing I did was dump the tiles based interface, install a
> stardock programmed start-button modification that gives it
> more/better functionality, and I basically don't see a difference
> from former OSs. Except that I've been assured (maybe falsely?) that
> Win8 seems a lot less demanding of the hardware -- I was told that
> laptops developed for Win8 take a big performance hit when
> re-installed with Win7. Since I personally haven't seen the need to
> undertake that experiment I can't say yay or nay.

Agreed Peter, agreed. However you hardly represent the masive majority of
computing-device buyers (That's a compliment BTW. )

Please see my reply to geoff for my reasoning. Sorry, I have to go pick up
my meds so can't write in more depth right now. (Damn annoying only being
able to get a maximum of 10 days worth at a time!!!)
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gordon

On 2013-04-11, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853
>
> [Excerpt:]
>
> "In an attempt to keep the PC relevant, Microsoft released a radical new
> version of Windows on October 26. Windows 8 has a completely new look and
> forces users to learn new ways to control their machines.
> "Unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only didn't
> provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the
> market," IDC Vice President Bob O'Donnell said."
>
> [/Excerpt]
>
> Am I the only person reminded of the fable of the greedy dog who had a nice
> meaty bone and, on crossing a bridge saw his reflection below him in the
> water. He wanted the other bone that he saw too so he opened his mouth to
> grab it and - of course, lost the bone he had in the process.

This is about Ms Soft thinking that one size fits all. About how we must get
into the app store scene and created something for mobile/swipe machines.

If it gave the PC user the oppotunity to leave metro to the swipers then it
would have done so much better. Underneath the tiles Ms Windows 8 is a
evolutionary step.

Then again there are people who are saying the PC is dead, or will be in a
few years, because we have all gone mobile. History begs to differ, pencils
are still made by the million, newspapers are still sold, picture theatres
are still surviving.

The desktop PC has more power than any mobile device will ever have.
Sometimes real grunt, raw power is the tool needed. About to crank up
handbrake.

Gordon

On 2013-04-11, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853
>>
>> [Excerpt:]
>>
>> "In an attempt to keep the PC relevant, Microsoft released a radical
>> new version of Windows on October 26. Windows 8 has a completely new
>> look and forces users to learn new ways to control their machines.
>> "Unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only
>> didn't provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have
>> slowed the market," IDC Vice President Bob O'Donnell said."
>>
>> [/Excerpt]
>>
>> Am I the only person reminded of the fable of the greedy dog who had
>> a nice meaty bone and, on crossing a bridge saw his reflection below
>> him in the water. He wanted the other bone that he saw too so he
>> opened his mouth to grab it and - of course, lost the bone he had in
>> the process.

> Just saw this too:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...PC_sales_slide

I think the slide was on, MS just jumped on, or rather tried to jump off.

The interesting point here is that people still see MS as associated with
the PC desktop. When it is trying to sell you stuff from the store.

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 08:44:46 +1200, geoff wrote:

> For sure. And the first thing anybody that operates by keyboard/mouse, or
> has a touch-screen but doesn't want to squint through a smeary screen all
> day does, is remove all the things that make W8 different to W7 !

I operate by keyboard/mouse. I have not needed to remove anything from
Win8 to use it.

The Start screen is like the Program Manager from Windows 3.1 (if you do
remember the Program Manager). It starts my desktop applications, which
run in the Win8 desktop just the same as how they used to run in the Win7
desktop.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Peter Huebner

In article <kk86ok$2hp$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Also, in this theoretical scenario it would be the fact that the tablet,
> running a tablet-centric OS was far more user-friendly than a aptop running
> a tablet-friendly OS. If I were used to a laptop, were looking to replace
> the laptop and I was shown machines running W7 then I'd likely go for
> another laptop.
>
> Bottom line: MS are (prematurely) hammering nails into the coffin of the
> traditional 'computer' IMO (and the opinions of more than a few journos).
> --
> /Shaun.

When I went laptop shopping in December there were quite a lot of
buisiness oriented Laptops (and some pretty grunty ones at that) still
offered with Win7. In fact I had the very same option. I went with Win8
because of what I'd been told about its demand on hardware and
thepossibility that it had been better optimised for battery life.

cheers, -P. from Coffs Harbour tonight.

Gib Bogle

On 12/04/2013 1:27 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=10876853
>
> [Excerpt:]
>
> "In an attempt to keep the PC relevant, Microsoft released a radical new
> version of Windows on October 26. Windows 8 has a completely new look and
> forces users to learn new ways to control their machines.
> "Unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only didn't
> provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the
> market," IDC Vice President Bob O'Donnell said."
>
> [/Excerpt]
>
> Am I the only person reminded of the fable of the greedy dog who had a nice
> meaty bone and, on crossing a bridge saw his reflection below him in the
> water. He wanted the other bone that he saw too so he opened his mouth to
> grab it and - of course, lost the bone he had in the process.

What worries me about the popularity of smart phones, tablets and pads
is that the economies of scale in PC production will presumably become
less effective, and I'll have to pay more for the powerful desktop
machine that I need.