Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printing photos

Printing photos

Stewart

My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to print
them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print colour photos.
She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type of
business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as Tesco or
Asda but I do not how how good they are.
Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
photos at a time?
Thank you.

James Silverton

On 4/7/2013 4:55 PM, Stewart wrote:
> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
> print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
> colour photos.
> She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
> suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
> Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
> of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
> Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
> Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
> photos at a time?
> Thank you.

Kodak seems to have franchised drug stores to do the color printing and
it is done quite well by our local CVS store for 6x4 and even 8x10.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Alex Monro

Stewart wrote:

> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
> print
> them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print colour
> photos. She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job

but
> I have suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
> Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type

of
> business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as Tesco

or
> Asda but I do not how how good they are.
> Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
> photos at a time?

Since you talk about Jessops I'm guessing you're in the UK. You might
want to have a look at www.photobox.co.uk. Upload to their server via
web app, or for large numbers, you can use FTP. Price for 6x4" prints
between 9p and 4p each, depending on quantity, plus postage. Delivery
usually within a couple of days of order, sometimes next day if you
order in the morning. I've been a satisfied customer for over 6 years
now. I don't bother with printing at home - far too much hassle and
expensive.

Shawn Hirn

In article <kjsmgq$roa$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to print
> them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print colour photos.
> She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
> suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
> Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type of
> business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as Tesco or
> Asda but I do not how how good they are.
> Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
> photos at a time?
> Thank you.

Just use iPhoto. It has a mail order printing service built into it. It
doesn't get any easier than that.

Martin Brown

On 07/04/2013 21:55, Stewart wrote:
> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
> print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
> colour photos.
> She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
> suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.

You can't compete with a commercial print lab on quality, fade
resistance or price if you want anything like 100+ prints. Inkjet ink is
*very* expensive even though the printer itself is cheap.

> Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
> of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
> Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
> Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
> photos at a time?

I'd take a look at Jessops in case they have put their relatively nice
Fuji printers back on line in the reopened shops. I used to do print
runs of 6x4 and 5x7 there since the >100 off rates were a give away. The
price breakpoint may well have moved if they still do it at all.

Be aware that if you have too many large images on a large modern memory
stick you can crash their system (I speak from experience).

Uploading to Vistaprint or similar service might be OK, but will involve
some faffing about downsizing if you are not to wait forever while they
upload. I have never used them for prints myself.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Stewart

Thanks all; as a result of your comments my daughter has now decided that it
will be a lot less bother (and cost) to get her photos printed commercially
rather than buy an inkjet printer and do them herself.

"Stewart" wrote in message news:kjsmgq$roa$(E-Mail Removed)...

My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to print
them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print colour photos.
She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type of
business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as Tesco or
Asda but I do not how how good they are.
Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
photos at a time?
Thank you.

Dave

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 21:55:59 +0100, Stewart wrote:

> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
> print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
> colour photos.
> She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
> suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
> Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
> of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
> Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
> Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
> photos at a time?
> Thank you.

If york photo (www.yorkphoto.com) is available in UK, they are good and
very cheap, for 250 prints, you will save quite a lot over CVS etc.

Mort

Stewart wrote:
> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
> print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
> colour photos.
> She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
> suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
> Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
> of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
> Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
> Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
> photos at a time?
> Thank you.

Hi,

It is a matter of priorities, and I do not suggest that my view must
prevail. However, I look upon the image on the SD card as the raw
material for a photograph, which I print using an inkjet photo printer.
I use free PC software by Picasa, and do the following,as necessary:
1) sharpen
2) crop as needed
3) color correct as needed
4) adjust contrast as needed
5) use fill light as needed
6) rotate as needed, re. vertical vs. horizontal
7) simple retouch as needed

It actually takes me longer to type this message than it does to edit a
photograph. Of course, one can say that in 4x6" format it makes little
difference. However, it does, and when I go to 5x7" or 8x10", the
editing becomes even more important.

I suppose the answer is that it depends upon what one wants and expects
from photographs.

Regards,

Mort Linder

Martin Brown

On 08/04/2013 21:08, Stewart wrote:
> Thanks all; as a result of your comments my daughter has now decided
> that it will be a lot less bother (and cost) to get her photos printed
> commercially rather than buy an inkjet printer and do them herself.

The only thing to watch out for if exact framing is important to her is
that not all cameras are 3:2 ratio sensor so you may have to choose
cropping if you want precise control of the final print. Also there is a
guard band around the image that will not be printed of about 2%.

There really is no contest for bulk printing small sizes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Stewart

Mort, I have the full Adobe Photoshop so can do virtually anything with my
own photographs but my daughter does not have that; however her son in law
does have Photoshop so I have told her that he can crop, adjust the photos
etc for her.