Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > sipgate tries to force customer to send passport / driving licence

sipgate tries to force customer to send passport / driving licence

I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
address. "
Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
1 My full name
2 Full postal address
3 Date of birth
4 Passport or driving licence.
Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
identity fraud.

What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
credentials for updating my email address?

David Woolley

? wrote:

> insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
> licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
> identity fraud.

This sounds like an anti-money laundering requirement. Are VoIP
services being used for money laundering these days?

Other possibilities are that it is because they are providing the
service on credit and they don't want to be the victim of identity
fraud, or that they are being put under pressure by governments to be
able to associated traffic flow data with specific individuals.

Your identity was probably grand-fathered in, but as you are changing
the one item that actually allows the authorities or debt collectors, to
trace back to your true identity, they are now in a stricter
environment, and need another way of doing so.

Have you changed from an ISP based email address to a throwaway one, as
that would increase the need to verify your true identity.

Woody

"?" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? ? @ ?.? ?="> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Explains why it is better to use a domain address with forwarding
then it matters not what your real address is they will always
get, see, and use the domain alias which gets around the problem.

?15 for two years to my mind is a small price to pay, plus if it
gets spammed or turns up where you don't want it you can change
it very easily.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Bob Eager

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, wrote:

> I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
> sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says: "We
> have recently changed the security policy on our website. This means
> that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will shortly
> receive an email from us at your sipgate account email address. "

a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post

Trust No One?

"J G Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kjp09i$vls$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Saturday, April 6th, 2013, at 10:24:57h +0000, Bob Eager explained:
>
>> a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

> And most ominously at
>
> <https://secure.sipgate.COM/register/unavailable>
>
> QUOTE
>
> Unfortunately, due to issues outside of our control we
> are not able to offer our services to new customers anymore.
>
> UNQUOTE
>

> If they cannot take on new customers, the best course of action for
> existing customers would be to drop their service as soon as possible.

I believe the issue(s) relate to sipgate.co.uk rather than sipgate.com.

I believe sipgate.com have been closed to new registrations for quite some
time now as they ran out of DIDs.

--
Peter <X-Files fan>

Chris Blunt

On 6 Apr 2013 10:24:57 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? wrote:
>
>> I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
>> sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says: "We
>> have recently changed the security policy on our website. This means
>> that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will shortly
>> receive an email from us at your sipgate account email address. "

>a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

If that were true then you'd expect them to ask all their customers to
change their passwords. I can still log-in as normal with the same
password I've been using on the account for several years.

Chris

Chris Blunt

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? < ? @ ?.? > wrote:

>I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
>sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
>"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
>means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
>shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
>address. "
>Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
>doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
>having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
>They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
>1 My full name
>2 Full postal address
>3 Date of birth
>4 Passport or driving licence.
>Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
>don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
>sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
>insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
>licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
>identity fraud.
>
>What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
>credentials for updating my email address?

Are you sure they're asking for the actual passport or license itself,
and not just copies of either document? They are a German company, and
the language issues might have caused some misunderstanding.

Chris

Malcolm Loades

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Blunt
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? < ? @ ?.? > wrote:
>
>>I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
>>sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
>>"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
>>means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
>>shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
>>address. "
>>Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
>>doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
>>having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
>>They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
>>1 My full name
>>2 Full postal address
>>3 Date of birth
>>4 Passport or driving licence.
>>Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
>>don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
>>sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
>>insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
>>licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
>>identity fraud.
>>
>>What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
>>credentials for updating my email address?

>Are you sure they're asking for the actual passport or license itself,
>and not just copies of either document?

He's not saying that at all.

See above which says "They are demanding I send them ID by email ...".
It would be a little difficult to send anything other than a copy by
e-mail!

> They are a German company, and
>the language issues might have caused some misunderstanding.

Plain English seems to be causing the confusion here

Malcolm

Bob Eager

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:23:42 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2013 10:24:57 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, wrote:
>>
>>> I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
>>> sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
>>> "We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
>>> means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
>>> shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
>>> address. "

>>a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

> If that were true then you'd expect them to ask all their customers to
> change their passwords. I can still log-in as normal with the same
> password I've been using on the account for several years.

Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
my password.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post

Harold Finch

On 7 Apr 2013 07:50:46 GMT, Bob Eager <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
>my password.

Just for interest, how long is it since you last logged into your Sipgate web
page Bob?

I only ask because about nine months ago I was forced to change the passwords
for the three Sipgate accounts I administer. I also know of one other person
who this happened to at the same time. Is it possible you haven't used web
access for several months and this is a hang back to that time?

FWIW, the three accounts I administer are working perfectly with the passwords
I changed nine months ago with no indication (so far) that I need to change
them again.

H.