Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > C++14: Papers

C++14: Papers

Rui Maciel

Here are three links which showcase which features are being proposed for
C++14:

http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/...-cpp14-papers-
part-1.html
http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/...at-c14-papers-
part-2.html
http://meetingcpp.com/index.php/br/i...beyond-papers-
part-3.html

I don't know which features will make their way into C++14, but after
browsing through those papers it looks like some people weren't satisfied
C++11 included the kitchen sink, they also want to add the rest of the
municipal sanitary network as well.

Any thoughts?

Rui Maciel

?? Tiib

On Sunday, 7 April 2013 02:44:59 UTC+3, Leigh Johnston wrote:
> On 05/04/2013 21:40, Rui Maciel wrote:
> boost.asio would be a great addition to C++.

Yes, but currently it works only on POSIX or Windows AFAIK.

Stefan Ram

?? Tiib <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On Sunday, 7 April 2013 02:44:59 UTC+3, Leigh Johnston wrote:
>>On 05/04/2013 21:40, Rui Maciel wrote:
>>boost.asio would be a great addition to C++.

>Yes, but currently it works only on POSIX or Windows AFAIK.

See also

http://www.purl.org/stefan_ram/pub/c..._extensions_en

(published 2003-09-02).

Alain Ketterlin

Rui Maciel <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Here are three links which showcase which features are being proposed for
> C++14:
>
> http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/...-cpp14-papers-
> part-1.html
> http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/...at-c14-papers-
> part-2.html
> http://meetingcpp.com/index.php/br/i...beyond-papers-
> part-3.html
>
> I don't know which features will make their way into C++14, but after
> browsing through those papers it looks like some people weren't satisfied
> C++11 included the kitchen sink, they also want to add the rest of the
> municipal sanitary network as well.
>
> Any thoughts?

Many items on this list are library issues/proposals, and many of them
are orthogonal to each other.

I'm no language lawyer, but I really think we should split the standard
into two parts: one for the core language itself, another (or more) for
the libraries. This would make the standardization of libraries faster
(I guess), which would also provide more feedback to those in charge of
the core.

-- Alain.

Rui Maciel

Alain Ketterlin wrote:

> Many items on this list are library issues/proposals, and many of them
> are orthogonal to each other.
>
> I'm no language lawyer, but I really think we should split the standard
> into two parts: one for the core language itself, another (or more) for
> the libraries. This would make the standardization of libraries faster
> (I guess), which would also provide more feedback to those in charge of
> the core.

I would go a slightlly different route: stop adding library stuff to the
standard, and instead make them available through Boost or a Boost-like
library aggregator service with a license that authorizes all forms of use.
There is absolutely no need to standardize a component if it's possible to
freely download and install it on any computer, or even store the source
files in the project tree.

Rui Maciel

Rui Maciel

Juha Nieminen wrote:

> Yeah, how dare they try to add even more utility features to the
> language! Who needs things like multithreading or vectorization?
> In the good old days we coded directly in asm. Using pencil and paper.

It's as if it wasn't possible to use third-party components with C++.

Don't be an idiot.

Rui Maciel

88888 Dihedral

Rui Maciel? 2013?4?6????UTC+8??4?40?31????
> Here are three links which showcase which features are being proposed for
>
> C++14:
>

> http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/...-cpp14-papers-
>
> part-1.html
>
> http://www.meetingcpp.com/index.php/...at-c14-papers-
>
> part-2.html
>
> http://meetingcpp.com/index.php/br/i...beyond-papers-
>
> part-3.html
>

> I don't know which features will make their way into C++14, but after
>
> browsing through those papers it looks like some people weren't satisfied
>
> C++11 included the kitchen sink, they also want to add the rest of the
>
> municipal sanitary network as well.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> Rui Maciel

Well, the objective C got all the sanitary GC part built-in.
This will drive the C++ to evolve definitely.

Alexander Terekhov

Scott Lurndal wrote:
[...]
> Seems OpenMP has done so for vectorization, and pthreads for multithreading. Why
> does it have to be in the language syntax?

Both OpenMP and pthreads are good examples that it can not be really
done "as a library" without support on the language level (memory
model), see e.g.:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2004/HPL-2004-209.pdf
http://www.ccs.tsukuba.ac.jp/worksho...hm-iwomp10.pdf

regards,
alexander.

Nobody

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:38:06 +0000, Juha Nieminen wrote:

> Rui Maciel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I don't know which features will make their way into C++14, but after
>> browsing through those papers it looks like some people weren't satisfied
>> C++11 included the kitchen sink, they also want to add the rest of the
>> municipal sanitary network as well.

> Yeah, how dare they try to add even more utility features to the
> language! Who needs things like multithreading or vectorization?
> In the good old days we coded directly in asm. Using pencil and paper.

It isn't just a question of desirability. There's also the question of
whether the end result is something which can only be implemented on
full-featured desktop/server platforms and only then by a team of a
hundred experienced, full-time developers.

Rui Maciel

Juha Nieminen wrote:

> How exactly do you expand the syntax of the language with third-party
> components, idiot?

If you had read what I wrote, you would understand why your comment is
silly.

Again, don't be an idiot.

Rui Maciel

2nd Call for Papers | Extended deadline: April 07 |CENTERIS'2009 - Conference on ENTERprise Information Systems | 2nd Callfor Papers CENTERIS'2009 - Conference on ENTERprise Information Systems Python 0 03-16-2009 01:59 PM
Submitted papers for the Conference: 489. Accepted papers: 158. Fromthem 6 BEST papers are also accepted to the WSEAS journals Kostas I. C++ 0 11-29-2007 11:03 AM
Submitted papers for the Conference: 489. Accepted papers: 158. Fromthem 6 BEST papers are also accepted to the WSEAS journals shuchen. C Programming 0 11-29-2007 10:59 AM
call for papers INFO VHDL 0 08-20-2003 07:24 PM
DesignCon 2004 Call for Papers J. Bhasker VHDL 0 08-05-2003 04:13 PM

Advertisments