Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Wireless Networking: PCI-E vs USB

Re: Wireless Networking: PCI-E vs USB

victor

On 5/04/2013 4:55 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
> I have a PC running Win 7 which is currently connected to my home
> network via an ethernet cable. I am looking to move this PC away from
> the router so some form of WIFI connection will be needed - and there
> is no such capability built in to the motherboard.
>
> The PC has PCI, PCI-E and USB 2.0 capabilities. Looking at various
> websites it looks like PCI and USB are the options - but what are the
> relative merits? Speed and reliability are paramount. Price seems
> not an issue as the most expensive hardware I saw was under $80.
>
> TIA,

I wouldn't bother putting a card in it.
There are some mini usb wifi adapters around now which would save you
having something sticking out of the usb port.

http://dx.com/p/ultra-mini-nano-usb-...t=1&s=&u=71905

Otherwise you also have the option of a mini wireless router in bridge
mode on the ethernet port,

http://dx.com/p/mini-portable-150m-8...r-green-115931

or ethernet over power line
http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/T...-Kit/21010311/

I use all these methods for voip, media players, printers etc, the usb
is probably easiest for a pc