Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: FreeView problem

Re: FreeView problem

brian

On 31/03/13 5:49 PM, Robin Halligan wrote:
> Just looking to see if anyone has seen this or has this I live in Stokes
> Valley and we have Freeview (satellite) We seem to lose signal every day
> at around 2:25 pm watching telly it seems to freeze up and then we lose
> audio/video for about 10 to 15 mins then it all seems to clear up
> and all is as it should be.
>
> Robin Halligan

There are two likely causes. One is that the sun is directly in line
with the satellite and causes interference. According to Sky, this can
happen in spring and autumn for about 15 minutes per day over a period
of about 2 weeks. The other is that the sun's rays get focussed on the
LNB (the receiving unit). This heats up and the frequency drifts. When
the sun has moved on, the LNB cools down and the signal returns. This
outage can last longer - 2 or 3 hours. Top quality LNBs have a
phase-locked loop to prevent the frequency drift, but typical domestic
installations use cheaper ones. It's happened to me more than once, and
Sky have replaced the LNB each time.

--brian

--
Wellington, New Zealand