Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Sharpening

Re: Sharpening

Douglas Johnson

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:38:33 +0100, Alfred Molon
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is there anything better than unsharp mask to sharpen an image? More
>>specifically, to compensate for a not so sharp lens or a (small)
>>autofocus error.

>Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening. Because
it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.

This article
http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...h-pass-filter/

suggests a couple more interesting uses of high pass.

Thanks,
Doug

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Douglas Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:38:33 +0100, Alfred Molon

>>>Is there anything better than unsharp mask to sharpen an image? More
>>>specifically, to compensate for a not so sharp lens or a (small)
>>>autofocus error.

>>Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

> Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening. Because
> it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.

You can put USM (set on the strong side) on a separate layer and
change it's opacity. And of course you can use a layer mask
to only apply at the edges.

-Wolfgang

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wolfgang
Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
> >>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

> > Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening.
> > Because
> > it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.

> You can put USM (set on the strong side) on a separate layer and
> change it's opacity. And of course you can use a layer mask
> to only apply at the edges.

with a non-destructive workflow, everything is reversible and
adjustable at any time, including usm.

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:41:18 -0500, Douglas Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:38:33 +0100, Alfred Molon
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there anything better than unsharp mask to sharpen an image? More
>>>specifically, to compensate for a not so sharp lens or a (small)
>>>autofocus error.

>>Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

>Thanks for this pointer. It is my new favorite method of sharpening. Because
>it is a layer, it is entirely reversible at any time, unlike USM.
>
>This article
>http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...h-pass-filter/
>
>suggests a couple more interesting uses of high pass.

Why "unlike USM"? When I use any form of sharpening I make it on a
new layer. If I don't like the effect, I delete the layer.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Douglas Johnson

Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:.

>Why "unlike USM"? When I use any form of sharpening I make it on a
>new layer. If I don't like the effect, I delete the layer.

I learned something today. Thanks.
-- Doug