Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Convert Latitude, Longitude To TimeZone

Re: Convert Latitude, Longitude To TimeZone

Roy Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I found a piece of code
> [http://blog.pamelafox.org/2012/04/co...ezones-in.html
> ] which uses the function [https://gist.github.com/pamelafox/2288222]
>
> When I try to run the code, I get the error geonames is not defined (This is
> the function previously linked to)

The best thing to do when asking questions like this is to copy-paste
the exact error message you got. It was probably something like:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'geonames' is not defined

In this example, it's easy enough to figure out what went wrong from
your description, but in general, giving the exact error helps in the
diagnosis.

> geonames_client = geonames.GeonamesClient('Username_alpha')
>
> geonames_result = geonames_client.find_timezone({'lat': 48.871236, 'lng':
> 2.77928})
>
> user.timezone = geonames_result['timezoneId']

You simply never imported the geonames module. Somewhere before your
first line of code, you want to add:

import geonames

This assumes that you've saved the module in a file named "geonames.py".