Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Tale of the Laser - redux

Re: Tale of the Laser - redux

Rikishi42

On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
><
> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/529...for-laser.html

That is pathetic !

What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
-- Ken Thompson

Usenet Account

On 26/03/2013 8:11 PM, Rikishi42 wrote:
> On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
>> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
>> <
>> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/529...for-laser.html

> That is pathetic !
>
> What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

You are invited to Nellis Air Force Gunnery and Bombing Range, you can
use your laser to test the paveways...

--
This space intentionally left blank.

James Silverton

On 3/27/2013 10:33 AM, George Kerby wrote:

> On 3/27/13 6:29 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
> "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:11:20 +0100, Rikishi42
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> That is pathetic !
>>>
>>> What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

>> So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
>> aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

> Sounds like we have a Occu-pooper on board this Group...

This discussion seems to consider all lasers equal and not take account
their power or wavelength. I doubt if a laser lecture pointer could do
much harm to a pilot's vision but quite high powered lasers are
relatively cheap.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Usenet Account

On 27/03/2013 12:06 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/27/2013 10:33 AM, George Kerby wrote:
>>

>> On 3/27/13 6:29 AM, in article
>> (E-Mail Removed),
>> "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
>>> aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

>> Sounds like we have a Occu-pooper on board this Group...
>>

> This discussion seems to consider all lasers equal and not take account
> their power or wavelength. I doubt if a laser lecture pointer could do
> much harm to a pilot's vision but quite high powered lasers are
> relatively cheap.

Even a low power laser can temporarily cause issues with night vision.

On 2013-03-27, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:11:20 +0100, Rikishi42
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
>>> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
>>><
>>> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/529...for-laser.html

>>That is pathetic !
>>
>>What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

> So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
> aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

Why should that follow?

It just seems really unlikely to do any actual blinding and the time he has
to do seems rather long, considering nobody got hurt.

I mean, you can create the same danger by using a flash on a passing car.
But unless it crashes, I hope nobody gets put behind bars for 2.5 years.

On 2013-03-27, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 3/27/13 6:29 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
> "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:11:20 +0100, Rikishi42
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> That is pathetic !
>>>
>>> What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

>> So you're OK with someone trying to blind a pilot of a flying
>> aircraaft? Really? How about if you were on board?

> Sounds like we have a Occu-pooper on board this Group...

A what???

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
-- Ken Thompson

PeterN

On 3/26/2013 9:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-03-26 17:11:20 -0700, Rikishi42 <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 2013-03-26, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
>>> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
>>> <
>>> http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/529...for-laser.html
>>>

>> That is pathetic !
>>
>> What's next, jail for pointing a finger at a armed vehicle ?

> Maybe, maybe not.
>
> You might not say that if you were the pilot of that Cessna or the
> helicopter.
> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasers_and_aviation_safety >

Or a passenger whose life was placed in unnecessary danger.

--
PeterN