Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Tale of the Laser - redux

Re: Tale of the Laser - redux

RichA

On Mar 25, 11:56*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> Well here is the outcome of one of the "Laser pointed at aircraft"
> cases which we had discussed some weeks ago.
> <http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/529...12-years-for-l...
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Well, more than 2 years means prison, not jail. I'm sure once he's
raped a few dozen times, he'll see the error of his ways.
I wonder how much better adjusted he'll be when he gets out?

Rikishi42

On 2013-03-26, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, more than 2 years means prison, not jail. I'm sure once he's
> raped a few dozen times, he'll see the error of his ways.
> I wonder how much better adjusted he'll be when he gets out?

What's the difference between prison and jail? I allways took them to be
synonyms, the first more official or proper, the latter more slang or
dialect.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
-- Ken Thompson

Rikishi42

On 2013-03-27, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-03-26 17:15:18 -0700, Rikishi42 <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> What's the difference between prison and jail? I allways took them to be
>> synonyms, the first more official or proper, the latter more slang or
>> dialect.

> In the USA there is a distinct difference between jail and prison.
> In the USA jail typically refers to County Jails which are administered
> by County Sheriff's Departments, and usually hold awaiting trial
> individuals, and those inmates convicted of misdemeanors with sentences
> of 12 months or less.
>
> Also in the USA there are State prisons administered by the State
> prisons for those convicted in State Court of felonies. Those convicted
> of federal crimes such as the individual in this story, will spend his
> time in a Federal prison.

Oh, right. Thanks for that, I just learned something.