Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: python3 string format

Re: python3 string format

Ian Kelly

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Shiyao Ma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thx for your reply.
> I am using pycharm and simply press "go to declaration" which directs me to
> a py file, containing the following code:
> def format(*args, **kwargs): # known special case of str.format
> """
> S.format(*args, **kwargs) -> string
>
> Return a formatted version of S, using substitutions from args and
> kwargs.
> The substitutions are identified by braces ('{' and '}').
> """
> pass

I would guess that Python declaration is maintained and used by
PyCharm for code intelligence.

> I am curious how you find the corresponding c source code.

The str object is mostly implemented in Objects/unicodeobject.c. The
int object is mostly implemented in Objects/longobject.c. Other
built-in types can also be found in that directory. Each has a
PyMethodDef[] global array that declares the implementations of the
object's methods. Finding the implementation is then just a matter of
grepping the source for its name.

The function I pointed you to before implements the str.__format__
method. The str.format method itself is at:

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/84..._format.h#l942

I'm not sure why that one is implemented in a .h file.

Re: python3 string format Shiyao Ma Python 0 03-26-2013 10:51 AM
Re: python3 string format Ian Kelly Python 0 03-26-2013 06:16 AM
python3 string format Shiyao Ma Python 0 03-26-2013 04:24 AM
Re: raw format string in string format method? Chris Angelico Python 3 03-01-2013 12:00 AM
Re: is the same betweent python3 and python3.2? Andrew Berg Python 0 06-16-2012 11:11 AM

Advertisments