Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Performance of int/long in Python 3

Performance of int/long in Python 3

Ned Deily

In article <kit1kg$g2u$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> But you are an idiot.

I repeat the friendly reminder I posted a few weeks ago and I'll be a
little less oblique: please avoid gratuitous personal attacks here. It
reflects badly on the group and especially on those people making them.
We can disagree strongly about technical opinions without resorting to
such.

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:13:16 -0700, I posted:

--
Ned Deily,

Mark Lawrence

On 27/03/2013 00:00, Ned Deily wrote:
> In article <kit1kg$g2u$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> But you are an idiot.

> I repeat the friendly reminder I posted a few weeks ago and I'll be a
> little less oblique: please avoid gratuitous personal attacks here. It
> reflects badly on the group and especially on those people making them.
> We can disagree strongly about technical opinions without resorting to
> such.
>
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:13:16 -0700, I posted:
>> A friendly reminder that this forum is for general discussion and
>> questions about Python.
>>
>> "Pretty much anything Python-related is fair game for discussion, and
>> the group is even fairly tolerant of off-topic digressions; there have
>> been entertaining discussions of topics such as floating point, good
>> software design, and other programming languages such as Lisp and Forth."
>>
>> But ...
>>
>> "Rudeness and personal attacks, even in reaction to blatant flamebait,
>> are strongly frowned upon. People may strongly disagree on an issue, but
>> usually discussion remains civil. In case of an actual flamebait
>> posting, you can ignore it, quietly plonk the offending poster in your
>> killfile or mail filters, or write a sharp but still-polite response,
>> but at all costs resist the urge to flame back."
>>
>> http://www.python.org/community/lists/
>>
>> It's up to all of us to help keep this group/list a place where people
>> enjoy participating, without fear of gratuitous personal sniping.
>> Thanks!

I suggest you spend more time telling the troll that he's a troll and
less time moaning at me.

--
If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

Mark Lawrence

Ned Deily

In article <kitdqr$4m4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27/03/2013 00:00, Ned Deily wrote:

[...]
> > I repeat the friendly reminder I posted a few weeks ago and I'll be a
> > little less oblique: please avoid gratuitous personal attacks here. It
> > reflects badly on the group and especially on those people making them.
> > We can disagree strongly about technical opinions without resorting to
> > such.
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:13:16 -0700, I posted:
> >> A friendly reminder that this forum is for general discussion and
> >> questions about Python.
> >>
> >> "Pretty much anything Python-related is fair game for discussion, and
> >> the group is even fairly tolerant of off-topic digressions; there have
> >> been entertaining discussions of topics such as floating point, good
> >> software design, and other programming languages such as Lisp and Forth."
> >>
> >> But ...
> >>
> >> "Rudeness and personal attacks, even in reaction to blatant flamebait,
> >> are strongly frowned upon. People may strongly disagree on an issue, but
> >> usually discussion remains civil. In case of an actual flamebait
> >> posting, you can ignore it, quietly plonk the offending poster in your
> >> killfile or mail filters, or write a sharp but still-polite response,
> >> but at all costs resist the urge to flame back."
> >>
> >> http://www.python.org/community/lists/
> >>
> >> It's up to all of us to help keep this group/list a place where people
> >> enjoy participating, without fear of gratuitous personal sniping.
> >> Thanks!

> I suggest you spend more time telling the troll that he's a troll and
> less time moaning at me.

I suggest you re-read the group charter. He may be saying things that
most of us disagree with but he does it without personal attacks. He's
made his position clear and it doesn't seem likely to change. Ignoring,
plonking, or polite responses are all fine responses. Flaming is not.
That's not the kind of group most of us want to see.

--
Ned Deily,
(E-Mail Removed)

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:14:46 +1100, Chris Angelico <(E-Mail Removed)>

> No, it doesn't. I'm fairly confident that most of them are not...
> however, I have my eye on 42. He gets around, a bit, but never seems
> to do anything very useful. I'd think twice before hiring him.
>
> But 1, now, he's a good fellow. Even when things get divisive, he's
> the voice of unity.

Unless he's also #6 (in which case #2 is in for trouble)
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
(E-Mail Removed) HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

rurpy@yahoo.com

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:00:43 PM UTC-6, Ned Deily wrote:
> In article <kit1kg$g2u$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > But you are an idiot.

> I repeat the friendly reminder I posted a few weeks ago and I'll be a
> little less oblique: please avoid gratuitous personal attacks here. It
> reflects badly on the group and especially on those people making them.
> We can disagree strongly about technical opinions without resorting to
> such.
>[..]

+1, thank you for posting that.

Mark Lawrence

On 27/03/2013 01:31, Ned Deily wrote:
> In article <kitdqr$4m4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mark Lawrence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 27/03/2013 00:00, Ned Deily wrote:

> [...]
>>> I repeat the friendly reminder I posted a few weeks ago and I'll be a
>>> little less oblique: please avoid gratuitous personal attacks here. It
>>> reflects badly on the group and especially on those people making them.
>>> We can disagree strongly about technical opinions without resorting to
>>> such.
>>>
>>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:13:16 -0700, I posted:

>> I suggest you spend more time telling the troll that he's a troll and
>> less time moaning at me.

> I suggest you re-read the group charter. He may be saying things that
> most of us disagree with but he does it without personal attacks. He's
> made his position clear and it doesn't seem likely to change. Ignoring,
> plonking, or polite responses are all fine responses. Flaming is not.
> That's not the kind of group most of us want to see.

He's not going to change so neither am I.

I also suggest you go and moan at Steven D'Aprano who called the idiot a
liar. Although thinking about it, I prefer Steven's comment to my own
as being more accurate.

--
If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

Mark Lawrence

jmfauth

On 26 mar, 22:08, Grant Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think we all agree that jmf is a character.

------

The characters are also "intrisic characteristics" of a
group in the Group Theory.

If you are not a mathematician, but eg a scientist in
need of these characters, they are available in
"precalculated" tables, one shorly calls ... "Tables of
characters" !
(My booklet of the tables is titled "Tables for Group Theory")

Example in chemistry, mainly "quantum chemistry":

Group Theory and its Application to Chemistry
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical...3A_Application

(Copied link from Firefox).

jmf

Steven D'Aprano

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:51:07 +0000, Mark Lawrence defending an
unproductive post flaming a troll:

> He's not going to change so neither am I.

"He's a troll disrupting the newsgroup, therefore I'm going to be a troll
disrupting the newsgroup too, so nyah!!!"

> I also suggest you go and moan at Steven D'Aprano who called the idiot a
> liar. Although thinking about it, I prefer Steven's comment to my own
> as being more accurate.

Yes I did, I suggest you reflect on the difference in content between
your post and mine, and why yours can be described as abusive flaming and
mine shouldn't be.

--
Steven

Ethan Furman

On 03/27/2013 06:47 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:51:07 +0000, Mark Lawrence defending an
> unproductive post flaming a troll:

I wouldn't call it unproductive -- a half-dozen amusing posts followed because of Mark's initial post, and they were a
great relief from the tedium and (dare I say it?) idiocy of jmf's posts.

>> He's not going to change so neither am I.

> "He's a troll disrupting the newsgroup, therefore I'm going to be a troll
> disrupting the newsgroup too, so nyah!!!"

So long as Mark doesn't start cussing and swearing I'm not going to get worked up about it. I find jmf's posts for more
aggravating.

>> I also suggest you go and moan at Steven D'Aprano who called the idiot a
>> liar. Although thinking about it, I prefer Steven's comment to my own
>> as being more accurate.

> Yes I did, I suggest you reflect on the difference in content between
> your post and mine, and why yours can be described as abusive flaming and
> mine shouldn't be.

Mark's post was not, in my not-so-humble opinion, abusive. jmf's (again IMNSHO) was.

Your post (Steven's) was possibly more accurate, but Mark's was more amusing, and generated more amusing responses.

Clearly, jmf is not going to change his thread-hijacking unicode-whining behavior, whether faced with the cold rational

So I guess what I'm saying is: Don't Feed The Trolls (Anyone!)

Of course, somebody still has to reply so a newcomer doesn't get taken in by him.

Has anybody else thought that his last few responses are starting to sound bot'ish?

--
~Ethan~

Chris Angelico

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Ethan Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anybody else thought that [jmf's] last few responses are starting to sound
> bot'ish?

Yes, I did wonder. It's like he and Dihedral have been trading
accounts sometimes. Hey, Dihedral, I hear there's a discussion of
Unicode and PEP 393 and Python 3.3 and Unicode and lots of keywords
for you to trigger on and Python and bots are funny and this text is
almost grammatical!

There. Let's see if he takes the bait.

ChrisA