Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Nokia 808 VOIP and keep-alive process for NAT etc

Re: Nokia 808 VOIP and keep-alive process for NAT etc

Peter

alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>[This belongs over in uk.telecom.voip really]
>
>Peter (for it is he) wrote:
>
>> Agreed 100% but even when I keep "sticking" ALWAYS ON in there, it
>> doesn't do anything.

>That's surely a bug, although if you've ever managed to receive a call then
>I would think it's a user interface display bug, as the phone would surely
>ignore incoming calls if it didn't think it was registered.

I can receive a call 100% reliably (on a UK geographical number I
bought) in the following circumstances:

1) The NAT hole is still open (I can fudge that with port forwarding)

2) The SIP provider has not yet killed the session (happens after ~ 30
mins)

I suspect the ALWAYS ON is being switched off by some other option
somewhere.

>> I see no evidence of anything being sent out, because the NAT hole
>> closes always after 180 seconds.

>Your phone may well be sending it, but [to rephrase what I said earlier] if
>the far end doesn't support it or doesn't like it, you'll see no difference.

I don't think the phone is sending *anything* because if it did, to
any IP whatever, the NAT session would not be closing after 3 mins.

>> The proxy server config is blank.

>> The registrar server is configured correctly, AFAICT.
>>
>> What do these two servers do?

>Sorry, I've conflated the two terms here.
>
>Proxy = thing you make calls through
>Registrar = thing that you subscribe with, in order to receive calls
>
>These are often one and the same, and even if they're not, manufacturers
>confuse them as well:
>
>http://www.smartvox.co.uk/sipfaq_sipproxy_explained.htm
>
>Perhaps as an experiment you might like to fill in the proxy server config
>as well.

Sure will, though I did that originally.