Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Sharpening

Re: Sharpening

PeterN

On 3/23/2013 2:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
> says...
>> Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

> Just gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be better than USM.

If you switch to LAB mode, and sharpen only the lightness channel. This
will minimize halos.
First create a new layer so if you oversharpen you can back it down.
Also, if there are areas you don't want sharpened, you can mask them off.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:17:16 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 3/23/2013 2:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
>> says...
>>> Have you tried High Pass sharpening?
>>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...arpening.shtml

>> Just gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be better than USM.
>>

>If you switch to LAB mode, and sharpen only the lightness channel. This
>will minimize halos.

In LAB, you can pull the A and B channels in a bit on both ends of the
curve and pop the colors.

>First create a new layer so if you oversharpen you can back it down.

Always. For most adjustments.

>Also, if there are areas you don't want sharpened, you can mask them off.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >First create a new layer so if you oversharpen you can back it down.

> Always. For most adjustments.

rarely.

learn about smart objects and non-destructive workflows.

PeterN

On 3/23/2013 6:22 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:17:16 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 3/23/2013 2:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
>>> says...
>>>
>>> Just gave it a quick try and it doesn't seem to be better than USM.
>>>

>> If you switch to LAB mode, and sharpen only the lightness channel. This
>> will minimize halos.

> In LAB, you can pull the A and B channels in a bit on both ends of the
> curve and pop the colors.

And do all sorts of things that are much harder to do in RGB.
My bible, and IMHO one of the most authoritative books on LAB color.
<http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-LAB-Color-Adventures-Colorspace/dp/0321356780>