Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Creating a CSS File

Re: Creating a CSS File

tlvp

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 06:33:42 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> ... The sensible approach is to set whatever needs to be set to meet your
> design goals, not "everything". If there is a browser style sheet or a
> user style sheet that sets a border on BODY, then we should assume that
> there is very good reason to that, and avoid interfering with it.

An illustrative case in point: A car rental agency wrote me an HTML rental
confirmation email with just such a massive upfront style sheet reset.
Reading that email in my mail service provider's webmail UI, that reset
effectively wiped out ALL the HTML navigation- and message-manipulation-
controls of that webmail UI. No straightforward way to Print the message
(other than by screen-scrape), no way to Reply to it, no way to go on to
the Next message, no way to Log Out of the email account, ... . "Caramba!"

No, I never rented from them again .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Gene Wirchenko

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:46:01 -0400, tlvp <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 06:33:42 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> ... The sensible approach is to set whatever needs to be set to meet your
>> design goals, not "everything". If there is a browser style sheet or a
>> user style sheet that sets a border on BODY, then we should assume that
>> there is very good reason to that, and avoid interfering with it.

>An illustrative case in point: A car rental agency wrote me an HTML rental
>confirmation email with just such a massive upfront style sheet reset.
>Reading that email in my mail service provider's webmail UI, that reset
>effectively wiped out ALL the HTML navigation- and message-manipulation-
>controls of that webmail UI. No straightforward way to Print the message
>(other than by screen-scrape), no way to Reply to it, no way to go on to
>the Next message, no way to Log Out of the email account, ... . "Caramba!"
>
>No, I never rented from them again .

Thank you. I have submitted your post to the RISKS List.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko