Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Creating a CSS File

Re: Creating a CSS File

dorayme

In article <kigmre$k0q$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2013-03-22 4:27, dorayme wrote:

> >> html {border: 1px solid black; }

> > Nope. The HTML border is not guaranteed to apply to BODY.

> It is guaranteed to *not* apply to BODY, so the CSS code above is surely
> ineffective of any suspected style sheet that sets a border on BODY.

Important to let Warren Oates down gently, he is very sensitive. I
gave him an example to see non-guarantee in action, your point is
stronger (but harder to illustrate).

> "CSS resets" cause more problems than they solve. It is common to see
> them used routinely, without thinking, and nasty problems emerging.
>
> The sensible approach is to set whatever needs to be set to meet your
> design goals, not "everything".

Yes, this is what I do, just what I need for a particular page or
site. (Incidentally, if I am sensible, I must exist. I like proofs of
this fact).

> Setting line-height is a different matter: we *know* that browsers apply
> different defaults for it, and we *know*, from typographic principles,
> that adequate values for line height depend on things like column width,
> not only on font.

Yes, I agree and much due to your own writings over the years.

--
dorayme

Re: Creating a CSS File tlvp HTML 1 03-26-2013 06:46 PM
Re: Creating a CSS File Warren Oates HTML 1 03-22-2013 11:43 AM