Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: A digital curiosity

Re: A digital curiosity

Whiskers

On 2013-03-19, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> For the point & shooters among us:
> < http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2013...s-back-in-time >

An interesting concept, but I think the square shape might be rather
awkward in practice - and the circular viewfinder window would only be
appropriate if the image is also round (or some sort of 'suspended frame'
would need to be projected to the user's eye).

I'm intrigued by the mention of "image sensors" (plural) mounted in a ring.

I'm in the UK so the BBC don't want me to see the URL above; "We're sorry
but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our
international service [...]"; but Ixquick's proxy gets around that strange
quirk - the long URL for that runs to more than 800 characters, so
<http://bit.ly/YonmiB> for short!

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers

On 2013-03-20, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2013-03-20 06:05:25 -0700, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 2013-03-19, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>> For the point & shooters among us:
>>> < http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2013...s-back-in-time >

>> An interesting concept, but I think the square shape might be rather
>> awkward in practice - and the circular viewfinder window would only be
>> appropriate if the image is also round (or some sort of 'suspended frame'
>> would need to be projected to the user's eye).
>>
>> I'm intrigued by the mention of "image sensors" (plural) mounted in a ring.
>>
>> I'm in the UK so the BBC don't want me to see the URL above; "We're sorry
>> but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our
>> international service [...]"; but Ixquick's proxy gets around that strange
>> quirk - the long URL for that runs to more than 800 characters, so
>> <http://bit.ly/YonmiB> for short!

> Not having that particular BBC UK issue, I was not aware of Ixquick.
> So it seems there is a simpler work-around for you island bound folks
> than the one I muddled through.

Ixquick is a metasearch 'engine' with a strong emphasis on user privaxy;
the proxy web server is incorporated into the search engine results pages.
<https://www.ixquick.com/uk/aboutixquick/>

--
-- Whiskers