Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Semi-OT: Smartfone recommendation pls.

Semi-OT: Smartfone recommendation pls.

Frank Williams

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:24:52 +1300, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 24/03/2013 11:16 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 23 March 2013 16:28:55 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Apparently it's the other way round:
>>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10789323

>> Thanks for the link JohnO, that clears it up.
>>
>> On another note; The NZ Herald site looks fairly good these days, I might
>> have to add it to the BBC site as my 'go to' sites for news - now I have a
>> local one. (I'm sick of TV 'news' which only seems to report sensationalised
>> attention-grabbing 'articles'.)
>>

>Someone posted a link in another forum to an article on this site:
>http://www.bbc.com/
>Apparently the site is blocked to users with UK IP addresses, and comes
>up with a message:
>"We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part
>of our international service and is not funded by the license fee."
>
>That seems very odd, possibly part of some funding ****-fight in the UK,
>or possibly paranoia by the BBC about being subject to draconian laws in
>the UK.
>
>All is not well with the world news media.

If you know how to do it its dead easy, I think its not blocked in Ozz.

NOTE: this blocking is allover the world very big in the US, ITV also
blocks..

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
> On 24/03/2013 11:16 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 23 March 2013 16:28:55 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Apparently it's the other way round:
>>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10789323

>> Thanks for the link JohnO, that clears it up.
>>
>> On another note; The NZ Herald site looks fairly good these days, I
>> might have to add it to the BBC site as my 'go to' sites for news -
>> now I have a local one. (I'm sick of TV 'news' which only seems to
>> report sensationalised attention-grabbing 'articles'.)

> Someone posted a link in another forum to an article on this site:
> http://www.bbc.com/
> Apparently the site is blocked to users with UK IP addresses, and
> comes up with a message:
> "We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part
> of our international service and is not funded by the license fee."
>
> That seems very odd, possibly part of some funding ****-fight in the
> UK, or possibly paranoia by the BBC about being subject to draconian
> laws in the UK.
>
> All is not well with the world news media.

Well, the BBC must have another, UK oriented site as I've followed links in
newsgroups to sporting or news video only to get the message that, as I'm
not in the UK I can't view content on the site. <shrug>

I think it might be this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ but don't have time to
check right now. I believe it's all to do with what rights they have to
certain media - for some they hold a licence to only show it to UK IPs but
for others it's the opposite. Also I think one site carries more UK news
while the other is global.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."