Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Final Fantasy 2 based gamesource code

Final Fantasy 2 based gamesource code

Lars Enderin

2013-03-20 17:49, Joerg Meier skrev:
> I, on the other hand, would be happy to know which words I spelled wrong.
> English being my 3rd language, I am always eager to know how I can improve.

The only words you misspelled were "superior(ity)". Your sig, however,
seems to show that you feel superior to people who would try to email
you. Why?

--
Lars Enderin

Joerg Meier

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:33:42 +0100, Lars Enderin wrote:

> 2013-03-20 17:49, Joerg Meier skrev:
>> I, on the other hand, would be happy to know which words I spelled wrong.
>> English being my 3rd language, I am always eager to know how I can improve.

> The only words you misspelled were "superior(ity)". Your sig, however,
> seems to show that you feel superior to people who would try to email
> you. Why?

Ah, I thought that was the proper English spelling (as opposed to the
American spelling) of that word. Thanks for the correction.

My sig, while probably largely useless here since it's German, just says
that I don't read the emails going to the account in my From:-field, since
I only get spam there. I usually check it once every other month or so, but
if someone were to try to contact me there, they would likely wait in vain
for a reply.

I just like to separate the two things, no value judgement included.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

ungelesen.

Lars Enderin

2013-03-20 23:15, Joerg Meier skrev:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:33:42 +0100, Lars Enderin wrote:
>
>> 2013-03-20 17:49, Joerg Meier skrev:
>>> I, on the other hand, would be happy to know which words I spelled wrong.
>>> English being my 3rd language, I am always eager to know how I can improve.

>> The only words you misspelled were "superior(ity)". Your sig, however,
>> seems to show that you feel superior to people who would try to email
>> you. Why?

> Ah, I thought that was the proper English spelling (as opposed to the
> American spelling) of that word. Thanks for the correction.
>
> My sig, while probably largely useless here since it's German, just says
> that I don't read the emails going to the account in my From:-field, since
> I only get spam there. I usually check it once every other month or so, but
> if someone were to try to contact me there, they would likely wait in vain
> for a reply.
>
> I just like to separate the two things, no value judgement included.

Ok. A little awkward way of saying that the email address given is a
throwaway address and shouldn't be used. Another more common way is to
give a fake address, for example with a domain like "invalid".

--
Lars Enderin

Joerg Meier

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 00:11:17 +0100, Lars Enderin wrote:

> 2013-03-20 23:15, Joerg Meier skrev:
>> My sig, while probably largely useless here since it's German, just says
>> that I don't read the emails going to the account in my From:-field, since
>> I only get spam there. I usually check it once every other month or so, but
>> if someone were to try to contact me there, they would likely wait in vain
>> for a reply.

>> I just like to separate the two things, no value judgement included.

> Ok. A little awkward way of saying that the email address given is a
> throwaway address and shouldn't be used. Another more common way is to
> give a fake address, for example with a domain like "invalid".

Well, it's not a fake address, and on the rare occasion, I will ask someone
or agree to someone mailing me there, and then I'll check it. It's just
that I don't usually do.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

ungelesen.

Arne Vajh°j

On 3/20/2013 5:28 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
> "Fredrik Jonson" wrote in message
> > The problem is - and I'm not sure you are aware - the tone in your review
>> could be perceived as rather hostile, you even shout at one place. Do you
>> think people are more prone to listen to your advice when you shout? Also
>> you needlessly use negative adjectives, like "clumsy" and "strange", where
>> it would suffice to describe the technical problem with the code.
>>
>> Could it be possible that people would be more inclined to take your advice
>> to heart if you took another approach?
>>
>> This is usenet, and obviously you are free to post in whatever tone you
>> like. However, there is something to be said for being kind to others,
>> especially newbies and people you do not know.

> Let me offer you some advice Fredrik.
>
> I have observed Lew's comments and behaviour in this group for several
> years. While he may come across as "hostile" or "rude" on first
> impression, I believe he is not trying to be either of those things.
> There is no doubt that Lew has excellent skills and knowledge in Java
> and you can do far worse than to follow his advice or learn from him.
> He reviewed your code and provided some feedback because he wanted to
> help you, not to get his jollies belittling you or showing how clever he
> is. He didn't have to do that (it takes time and effort) and he gains
> nothing from it other than the satisfaction of helping people.

First, it was not Fredrik's code. So I will give you the advice
of understanding who wrote what in a thread before you start
giving them advice.

Second, I can not see that Fredrik is claiming that Lew wants to
be rude. He is only suggesting that Lew could get the message better
through by wording things differently. Which is a reasonable suggestion.

> The other thing to remember is that the world is a tough place and to
> succeed as a developer you need to be able to compete on the world stage
> and amongst talented peers. Had Lew delivered a "softer" response you
> may have been less likely to react in a positive, motivated way.
> Prospective employers would most likely be much harder on you than Lew
> has been.

What is acceptable behavior in a job interview situation depends
on the local culture.

But in many places non-desperate job seekers would walk
out at rude behavior from interviewers side.

And it makes sense, because a company with an unprofessional
attitude towards interview most likely behave unprofessionally
in many other contexts.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 3/20/2013 3:07 PM, Lew wrote:
> Fredrik Jonson wrote:
>> It isn't my code. I don't know who the original poster is, and I'm not
>> familiar with his projects. I just had to call out on Lew's tone.

> You are free to interpret my "tone" however you please, but please do understand
> that that is entirely a projection on your part.
>
> Every statement I made to the OP was objective and supportable by the evidence.
>
> Every statement I made was meant to be taken literally. If you want "tone", read it
> out loud to yourself in a robot voice, keeping inflection as neutral and unvarying
> as you can.

There were plenty of good objective advice based on evidence in your
post.

But as Fredrik pointed out, then there were also a few cases of
more colorful language.

"clumsy programming"

"antithesis of object oriented"

"YECCCH!"

"nasty variable name"

These are neither objective, polite or technical.

> I am not overly concerned with your emotional interpretation of objective statements.

Communication is an important part of software development.

Good communication includes using precise well defined terms for
clarity and terms that does not offend people and by that move
attention from substance to form.

So if you want to become a better developer, then you should
learn to communicate without "clumsy", "nasty" etc..

Arne

Arne Vajh├Şj

On 3/20/2013 10:28 AM, Joshua Cranmer ­čÉž wrote:
> People remember negative emotions better than positive emotions. So,
> present your comments as a scathing critique, and it will be better
> remembered and applied in the future than a melancholy response.

The idea that some pain helps remembering has been dropped
as a preferred learning methodology in most places.

I don't think it is that productive to go in let us call
it quarter-flame-mode in this case where somebody simply
posted a link to some code.

Just give the recommendations without the spicy
extra remarks.

If OP comes back and is rude in the reply, then we have
a new situation and I think setting the flame throwers
to max power is fine.

But I have not seen that in this thread.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 3/20/2013 1:43 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
> On 20/03/13 16:52, Joerg Meier wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> You are an idiot.

>>> [...]

>>> It is perfectly possible to offer good advice without all the personal
>>> abuse, insults and snide remarks.

>> While it might be possible in general, it seems to be a skill you do not
>> possess yourself, making you something of a hypocrite.

> I wasn't offering advice was I?
>
> I was making an observation.
>
> There is a difference.

True.

I think you were making the observation that you are
an idiot.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 3/20/2013 7:41 AM, Joerg Meier wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2013 07:18:25 GMT, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
>> The problem is - and I'm not sure you are aware - the tone in your review
>> could be perceived as rather hostile, you even shout at one place. Do you
>> think people are more prone to listen to your advice when you shout? Also
>> you needlessly use negative adjectives, like "clumsy" and "strange", where
>> it would suffice to describe the technical problem with the code.

> Condescension is the currency of programming support. Beginners get free
> advice and help, and experienced folks get to feel superiour. Both sides
> win. Personally,

> Don't begrudge seasoned programmers their air of superiourity. At best you
> will make them stop responding to newbies, and at worst they will leave
> altogether.

That is not a pretty picture that you paint of seasoned/experienced
programmers.

I don't believe that in general they are so horrible.

Most would help because they like to help and they learn themselves
by helping others - not to feel superior.

Arne

Gene Wirchenko

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:39:00 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 3/20/2013 7:41 AM, Joerg Meier wrote:

[snip]

>> Don't begrudge seasoned programmers their air of superiourity. At best you

Ha! The programmers that I have seen with an air of superiority
are the ones who do not know so much.

>> will make them stop responding to newbies, and at worst they will leave
>> altogether.

Given my above statement, that would be a benefit.

>That is not a pretty picture that you paint of seasoned/experienced
>programmers.
>
>I don't believe that in general they are so horrible.

People tend to notice jerks. The quiet, polite guy is generally
not noticed as much.

>Most would help because they like to help and they learn themselves
>by helping others - not to feel superior.

Yes, and it is paying it forward for the times I have gotten
help.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Final Fantasy 2 clone, GPLv2 elvish healer Java 0 02-19-2013 09:29 AM
Final Fantasy XIII honeydanny84 Gaming 5 01-18-2013 03:50 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: FINAL FANTASY VII: ADVENT CHILDREN: TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 05-11-2006 08:34 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: FINAL FANTASY: UNLIMITED: PHASE 7 and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 12-23-2004 10:12 AM

Advertisments