Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Free web hosting options?

Re: Free web hosting options?

Mayayana

You can get a domain name pretty cheap if you look
around. Free hosting is going to be iffy, no matter
who it is. I've heard Dreamhost recommended for
cheap hosting, but to my mind that just makes no sense.
I'm currently paying $9/month to futurequest.net for
real hosting. I'm very happy with them. It seems to be
a sort of family operated business. They don't take phone
calls but are quick to respond to emails.

So I'm paying the equivalent of 2 Starbucks kiddie coffees
for full service, instead of paying one regular coffee for
half-baked service with no real tech. support. If you can't
afford $10+-/month for a business then something is wrong.

If you look around for deals I think you'll find there are
two comon patterns: 1) There are professional hosting
sites that charge prices so high that I just can't imagine
who uses them or why the price is worth it. 2) At the other
extreme are the free->$3 operations that give you unlimited
everything but the fine print says you can't put much of
anything but plain webpages on the server, can't offer
binary downloads, etc. In other words, the cheapo operations
survive by hosting people who don't understand what they're
doing, put up a page or two, and then forget about it, never
having any traffic to speak of.

In the middle are deals like Futurequest -- An honest deal.
They won't make false claims that you get 1,000 email
addresses and 100 TB of traffic. You get what you pay for.
You'll have to pay more if you need extreme traffic allowance.
But chances are you won't have to worry about that. I get
300-400 visitors/day and don't come anywhere near my
traffic limit. Storage limits are similarly generous.

In addition to Futurequest, I've done a site for a friend
using iPower and they seemed fine. That's another one that
costs in the $10 range for a basic site.

If you really can't afford $10 month and want to set up
something then Dreamhost might be worth a try.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...