Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Macros

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Macros

 
 
John Turco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2013
On 3/17/2013 1:14 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 3/17/2013 12:50 AM, Rob wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>
>> Camera clubs live in there own little world and stay in a rut.

>
> Not all. Just some of the judges. My club has 60 members. On competition
> nights we average about 40. On other nights, attendance varies, but
> rarely less than 30. We have filed trips every Sunday. about 15 to 20
> show up. Some just come for breakfast, where we get into discussions.
> About two weeks ago two of our members gave a presentation of shooting
> butterflies. Today, we went to a butterfly exhibit. (Yes it was
> indoors.) On my recent trip to FL, I was kept busy almost every day,
> shooting with members oaf my club.



Who are these oafish members of your camera club, and why haven't
they been kicked out?

John
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trevor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013

"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ki3hva$acq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Curious why you say they would NOT do well in a camera club? Just
>>> wondering?

>>
>> Many judges would say: the hot spots are distracting; parts of the
>> creatures are outside the image area, etc.
>> Please note the above is not my impression, but is intended to be a
>> commentary of the weaknesses of camera club judging. I have often said
>> that Cartier-Bresson, would not do well in camera club competitions.
>>

> Agree with your comments, camera club judges are full of themselves on the
> night, nit picking, they can't correctly evaluate the elements of an image
> and ridicule the content. As an example some time ago had a image
> evaluated and the comment was the horizon was not straight, funny about
> that it had lens curvature. Another example was architecture, where
> verticals should be vertical or over over emphasised, looking up at a tall
> building, the judge picked on one as not vertical which should have been,
> but there were 2 others out of whack as well, but no criticism of the fact
> but given awards!
>
> I have even pointed out plagiarism of images and part images, to the
> committee, ripped off the web, and they have condoned the use of such
> images, to the extent where the image has been best in section. I was
> being a pain in the arse to them.
>
> I'm sure other images being presented in competitions, were not setup or
> photographed by the author, as they didn't show a consistent standard of
> such photographer compare with there other submissions.
>
> What does amaze me is the judges will critique an image but can't explain
> why or give their opinion how to rectify the perceived fault.
>
> One particular night there was this judge who insisted using "Um" all the
> time, this irritates me as its them catching up with their thoughts,
> anyhow this was so annoying that I started to count the number of time she
> used "Um" and the intervals between. Results basically, 700, at 20 second
> intervals, yep - over 3 hour period.
> What a long boring night that turned out to be.
>
> Camera clubs live in there own little world and stay in a rut.



The real question is why you would bother then rather than get out and take
pictures for your own pleasure, and/or paying clients, rather than approval
from stupid camera club judges?

Trevor.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trevor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013

"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only real objection I have to the competitions is that submissions
> are not required to be "fresh". So, instead of shooting to the
> mandate, most members pull shots from their archives and the image
> might have been taken several years ago.


Why should that matter? A seperate comp for a joint walkabout shooting
session should cover that where people only get to shoot the same subjects
in the same time, for those who prefer that limitation. Frankly I find the
whole idea of such comps rather narcissistic and pointless, but each to
their own.

Trevor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:14:00 +1100, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> The only real objection I have to the competitions is that submissions
>> are not required to be "fresh". So, instead of shooting to the
>> mandate, most members pull shots from their archives and the image
>> might have been taken several years ago.

>
>Why should that matter?


The idea of a mandate is to encourage the photographer to find
something to shoot that he/she might not otherwise shoot and/or to
look at a scene to find something in it that he/she might not
otherwise see. It should expand the photographer's thinking.

Putting a time restraint on it, stirs the photographer to do the above
now instead of going through a couple of thousand archive shots that
might fit the mandate.

> A seperate comp for a joint walkabout shooting session should cover that
>where people only get to shoot the same subjects in the same time,
>for those who prefer that limitation.


To the best of my knowledge, there are no Aborigines that are members
of the camera club I belong to.

>Frankly I find the whole idea of such comps rather narcissistic and
>pointless, but each to their own.


That's OK. Those that aren't interested, or those who aren't willing
to have their efforts judged by others, are not pressed to join in.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
Trevor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013

"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:14:00 +1100, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> The only real objection I have to the competitions is that submissions
>>> are not required to be "fresh". So, instead of shooting to the
>>> mandate, most members pull shots from their archives and the image
>>> might have been taken several years ago.

>>
>>Why should that matter?

>
> The idea of a mandate is to encourage the photographer to find
> something to shoot that he/she might not otherwise shoot and/or to
> look at a scene to find something in it that he/she might not
> otherwise see. It should expand the photographer's thinking.


.....in the direction of the mandate, rather than the direction of the
photographers choosing. Can't see the point, but if you are happy, sure
doesn't bother me.


>> A seperate comp for a joint walkabout shooting session should cover that
>>where people only get to shoot the same subjects in the same time,
>>for those who prefer that limitation.

>
> To the best of my knowledge, there are no Aborigines that are members
> of the camera club I belong to.


Am I supposed to laugh?


>>Frankly I find the whole idea of such comps rather narcissistic and
>>pointless, but each to their own.

>
> That's OK. Those that aren't interested, or those who aren't willing
> to have their efforts judged by others, are not pressed to join in.



Exactly, and neither are those who dislike the judges
motives/ability/comments/agenda, or any other reason/complaint given so far.

Trevor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 23:15:45 -0400, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Frankly I find the whole idea of such comps rather narcissistic and
>>pointless, but each to their own.

>


"Narcissism" is not a word that I would choose to describe the
motivation to participate in competitions. The narcissist is
interested only self, and is excessively vain or egotistical.

The narcissist would be adverse to entering competition because he or
she would not be willing to be judged by others and would assume that
anything he or she created would be superior to the submissions of
others by default.

The true narcissist *does* feel that competitions of this sort are
pointless, though, because he or she feels that his or her submission
is sure to win and therefore going through the motions of entering is
pointless.

Those of us who do enter competitions do so because a) we are proud of
our work, or, b) we want to hear/read how others see our work, or, c)
because we want recognition for our efforts, or, d) a combination of
those reasons.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013
On 18/03/2013 2:15 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:14:00 +1100, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> "Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The only real objection I have to the competitions is that submissions
>>> are not required to be "fresh". So, instead of shooting to the
>>> mandate, most members pull shots from their archives and the image
>>> might have been taken several years ago.

>>
>> Why should that matter?

>
> The idea of a mandate is to encourage the photographer to find
> something to shoot that he/she might not otherwise shoot and/or to
> look at a scene to find something in it that he/she might not
> otherwise see. It should expand the photographer's thinking.
>
> Putting a time restraint on it, stirs the photographer to do the above
> now instead of going through a couple of thousand archive shots that
> might fit the mandate.
>
>> A seperate comp for a joint walkabout shooting session should cover that
>> where people only get to shoot the same subjects in the same time,
>> for those who prefer that limitation.

>


After a club outing about 2 months later a subject came up where an
image suitable for the comp, 4 images the same turned up, B&W as well.

> To the best of my knowledge, there are no Aborigines that are members
> of the camera club I belong to.


We have blue eye blonds who are aborigines, nowdays you can't tell


>
>> Frankly I find the whole idea of such comps rather narcissistic and
>> pointless, but each to their own.

>
> That's OK. Those that aren't interested, or those who aren't willing
> to have their efforts judged by others, are not pressed to join in.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trevor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013

"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>Frankly I find the whole idea of such comps rather narcissistic and
>>>pointless, but each to their own.

>
> "Narcissism" is not a word that I would choose to describe the
> motivation to participate in competitions. The narcissist is
> interested only self, and is excessively vain or egotistical.


Yep, that's the motivation for many, a desire to be admired by others for
the talent they think they have.


> The narcissist would be adverse to entering competition because he or
> she would not be willing to be judged by others and would assume that
> anything he or she created would be superior to the submissions of
> others by default.


Right, they expect to win, and blame the judges when they don't.


> The true narcissist *does* feel that competitions of this sort are
> pointless, though, because he or she feels that his or her submission
> is sure to win and therefore going through the motions of entering is
> pointless.


Well that's one way to look at it I guess. But the true narcissist expects
to win and needs the admiration.


> Those of us who do enter competitions do so because a) we are proud of
> our work, or, b) we want to hear/read how others see our work, or, c)
> because we want recognition for our efforts,


Exactly my point. But go right ahead, I said straight up each to their own.

Trevor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013
On Monday, March 18, 2013 2:08:19 AM UTC, Trevor wrote:
> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:ki3hva$acq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >>> Curious why you say they would NOT do well in a camera club? Just

>
> >>> wondering?

>
> >>

>
> >> Many judges would say: the hot spots are distracting; parts of the

>
> >> creatures are outside the image area, etc.

>
> >> Please note the above is not my impression, but is intended to be a

>
> >> commentary of the weaknesses of camera club judging. I have often said

>
> >> that Cartier-Bresson, would not do well in camera club competitions.

>
> >>

>
> > Agree with your comments, camera club judges are full of themselves on the

>
> > night, nit picking, they can't correctly evaluate the elements of an image

>
> > and ridicule the content. As an example some time ago had a image

>
> > evaluated and the comment was the horizon was not straight, funny about

>
> > that it had lens curvature. Another example was architecture, where

>
> > verticals should be vertical or over over emphasised, looking up at a tall

>
> > building, the judge picked on one as not vertical which should have been,

>
> > but there were 2 others out of whack as well, but no criticism of the fact

>
> > but given awards!

>
> >

>
> > I have even pointed out plagiarism of images and part images, to the

>
> > committee, ripped off the web, and they have condoned the use of such

>
> > images, to the extent where the image has been best in section. I was

>
> > being a pain in the arse to them.

>
> >

>
> > I'm sure other images being presented in competitions, were not setup or

>
> > photographed by the author, as they didn't show a consistent standard of

>
> > such photographer compare with there other submissions.

>
> >

>
> > What does amaze me is the judges will critique an image but can't explain

>
> > why or give their opinion how to rectify the perceived fault.

>
> >

>
> > One particular night there was this judge who insisted using "Um" all the

>
> > time, this irritates me as its them catching up with their thoughts,

>
> > anyhow this was so annoying that I started to count the number of time she

>
> > used "Um" and the intervals between. Results basically, 700, at 20 second

>
> > intervals, yep - over 3 hour period.

>
> > What a long boring night that turned out to be.

>
> >

>
> > Camera clubs live in there own little world and stay in a rut.

>
>
>
>
>
> The real question is why you would bother then rather than get out and take
>
> pictures for your own pleasure, and/or paying clients, rather than approval
>
> from stupid camera club judges?


Well for me part of the photography was a social event and to see if you could get better pictures than others in the club given the same location andweather conditions. There was also a chance of learning by watching the more experinced and also being able to ask for hep there and then rather thanwaiting for a question to be posted and replied to in a mag or even nowadays by email etc...

It also enabled me to go to places I couldn't have got to by mayself anywhere near as easily or cheaply.

The interesting thing about stupid camera judges is that they are only stupid when they mis-judge your own work.
But I did find it interesting to hear their comments in a similar way I do with to the shoot in here.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2013
On Monday, March 18, 2013 1:56:44 PM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-03-18 06:38:15 -0700, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>
>
> > The interesting thing about stupid camera judges is that they are only stup

>
> > id when they mis-judge your own work.

>
> > But I did find it interesting to hear their comments in a similar way I do

>
> > with to the shoot in here.

>
>
>
> So, where are your SI shots, so you can hear/read those comments with
>
> regard to your work?


One day when I have the time and interest again I sort of lost interest in going to take photos for the sake of taking them around 1988, I sort of got bored and my computer and electronics, & computer hobbies took over.
Personally I'd prefer the SI done a little differntly I find it annoying to have to go back and forth reading comments here and then going to the SI.
That's one of the reasons I'd prefer flickr, I lke to see both things together and a list of comments that don't span across various posts.

Furniture now I do need to take a few pics of some furnature from my parents place as I was talking to someone about the old wardrobe with shrapnel damage from WWII, it's where I keep my electronics stuff.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
macros-loop? calling macros X times? Andrew Arro C Programming 2 07-24-2004 09:52 AM
Explanation of macros; Haskell macros mike420@ziplip.com Python 80 11-07-2003 02:22 AM
Re: Explanation of macros; Haskell macros Michael T. Babcock Python 0 11-03-2003 01:54 PM
Re: Explanation of macros; Haskell macros mike420@ziplip.com Python 5 11-01-2003 01:09 AM
Re: Explanation of macros; Haskell macros mike420@ziplip.com Python 1 10-07-2003 04:07 PM



Advertisments