Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Polarizer Effect

Polarizer Effect

jbilecky@gmail.com

Does anyone know of an Adobe compatible (or standalone) filter or plugin that gives a polarizer effect? I'm looking to make some after the fact adjustments to reflections in some photos and to darken skies in others. I'm looking for Windows software, preferably freeware.

Thanks in advance...John

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone know of an Adobe compatible (or standalone) filter or plugin that
> gives a polarizer effect? I'm looking to make some after the fact adjustments
> to reflections in some photos and to darken skies in others. I'm looking for
> Windows software, preferably freeware.

there are a couple that claim to do it, but the fact is you can't
duplicate a polarizer in software, especially for reflections. you
might be able to alter the skies a little, but that's about it.

Robert Coe

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:55:27 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > Does anyone know of an Adobe compatible (or standalone) filter or plugin
: > that gives a polarizer effect? I'm looking to make some after the fact
: > adjustments to reflections in some photos and to darken skies in others.
: > I'm looking for Windows software, preferably freeware.
:
: there are a couple that claim to do it, but the fact is you can't
: duplicate a polarizer in software, especially for reflections. you
: might be able to alter the skies a little, but that's about it.

True about the reflections, certainly. But a good photo editor will often do a
*better* job of darkening the sky, because a polarizer (if the angle is right
for it to do anything) inevitably produces a left-to-right intensity gradient.

Bob

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> : > Does anyone know of an Adobe compatible (or standalone) filter or plugin
> : > that gives a polarizer effect? I'm looking to make some after the fact
> : > adjustments to reflections in some photos and to darken skies in others.
> : > I'm looking for Windows software, preferably freeware.
> :
> : there are a couple that claim to do it, but the fact is you can't
> : duplicate a polarizer in software, especially for reflections. you
> : might be able to alter the skies a little, but that's about it.
>
> True about the reflections, certainly. But a good photo editor will often do a
> *better* job of darkening the sky, because a polarizer (if the angle is right
> for it to do anything) inevitably produces a left-to-right intensity gradient.

it's definitely not inevitable and doing it in a photo editor can be a
lot of work.

one case where a real polarizer can be a problem is with a wide angle
lens, where you can end up with a dark band, and that's easily avoided.

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > : > Does anyone know of an Adobe compatible (or standalone) filter or plugin
: > : > that gives a polarizer effect? I'm looking to make some after the fact
: > : > adjustments to reflections in some photos and to darken skies in others.
: > : > I'm looking for Windows software, preferably freeware.
: > :
: > : there are a couple that claim to do it, but the fact is you can't
: > : duplicate a polarizer in software, especially for reflections. you
: > : might be able to alter the skies a little, but that's about it.
: >
: > True about the reflections, certainly. But a good photo editor will often do a
: > *better* job of darkening the sky, because a polarizer (if the angle is right
: > for it to do anything) inevitably produces a left-to-right intensity gradient.
:
: it's definitely not inevitable and doing it in a photo editor can be a
: lot of work.

In Digital Photo Pro, the editor with which I'm most familiar, switching from
"Standard" to "Landscape" mode darkens the sky about as much as a polarizer
would.

: one case where a real polarizer can be a problem is with a wide angle
: lens, where you can end up with a dark band, and that's easily avoided.

Well, the easy way is to use a narrower lens, but then it's a different
picture. The hard way is to wait for the angle of the sun to change, and
that't not always feasible.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:31:52 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: On 2013-03-15 08:55:27 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: >> Does anyone know of an Adobe compatible (or standalone) filter or plugin that
: >> gives a polarizer effect? I'm looking to make some after the fact adjustments
: >> to reflections in some photos and to darken skies in others. I'm looking for
: >> Windows software, preferably freeware.
: >
: > there are a couple that claim to do it, but the fact is you can't
: > duplicate a polarizer in software, especially for reflections. you
: > might be able to alter the skies a little, but that's about it.
:
: Dealing with reflections is always tough. However there are times when
: one, (that's me) screws up and I haven't bothered to mount a CPF, or I
: screw up royally with metering, and I have got a more than acceptable
: fix with adjustments in ACR or Lightroom without going anywhere near a
: plug-in.
:
: In this case the problem is obvious and I only used LR4 adjustments in
: the "develop" module to reach a fix (Note the highlight clipping on the
: tents). The same adjustments can be made to a RAW file in ACR.
: < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_169.jpg >
:
: Glass or water reflections? I would be reaching for my bag and a CPF.

Unless, of course, you were shooting for a "Reflections" mandate, like we did
last summer. ;^)

Bob

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:15:02 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:31:52 -0700, Savageduck
><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>: On 2013-03-15 08:55:27 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>:
>: > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: >
>: >> Does anyone know of an Adobe compatible (or standalone) filter or plugin that
>: >> gives a polarizer effect? I'm looking to make some after the fact adjustments
>: >> to reflections in some photos and to darken skies in others. I'm looking for
>: >> Windows software, preferably freeware.
>: >
>: > there are a couple that claim to do it, but the fact is you can't
>: > duplicate a polarizer in software, especially for reflections. you
>: > might be able to alter the skies a little, but that's about it.
>:
>: Dealing with reflections is always tough. However there are times when
>: one, (that's me) screws up and I haven't bothered to mount a CPF, or I
>: screw up royally with metering, and I have got a more than acceptable
>: fix with adjustments in ACR or Lightroom without going anywhere near a
>: plug-in.
>:
>: In this case the problem is obvious and I only used LR4 adjustments in
>: the "develop" module to reach a fix (Note the highlight clipping on the
>: tents). The same adjustments can be made to a RAW file in ACR.
>: < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_169.jpg >
>:
>: Glass or water reflections? I would be reaching for my bag and a CPF.
>
>Unless, of course, you were shooting for a "Reflections" mandate, like we did
>last summer. ;^)

Two-thirds of my submissions to the "Steeples" SI were reflections. As
I walk around downtown Orlando looking for candid street shots, I keep
an eye out for good reflections in windows. Sometimes I'll combine a
street shot and a reflection:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...2-15-61-X2.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL