Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > loselong (new commandline utility)

loselong (new commandline utility)

Malcolm McLean

There's a new utility on my website.

I wrote it because when I was grepping for symbols in files, my grep hit xml
and spat out huge long lines of several thousand characters.

So loselong filters them out, replacing them with an 80 line output with an
ellipsis in the middle.

It's a very simple utility, presented in the hope that others will find it
useful.

--
Download the source to loselong
http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/.../loselong.html

Rui Maciel

Malcolm McLean wrote:

> There's a new utility on my website.
>
> I wrote it because when I was grepping for symbols in files, my grep hit
> xml and spat out huge long lines of several thousand characters.
>
> So loselong filters them out, replacing them with an 80 line output with
> an ellipsis in the middle.
>
> It's a very simple utility, presented in the hope that others will find it
> useful.

As no one bothered to post a replly, here are a couple of suggestions:
- adding a version number
- bundling the files in a zip file somewhere
- some comments on loselong.c would improve the readability
- in general, pointer arguments in loselong.c weren't validated

loselong.c:138
CBUFFER *cbuffer(int capacity) : switching from int with size_t would
eliminate the need to validate the input parameter.

Notwithstanding, thanks for sharing your work with the world. Great job.
Kudos!

Rui Maciel

Malcolm McLean

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:42:58 PM UTC, Rui Maciel wrote:
> Malcolm McLean wrote:
>

> > There's a new utility on my website.

> > I wrote it because when I was grepping for symbols in files, my grep hit

> > xml and spat out huge long lines of several thousand characters.

> > So loselong filters them out, replacing them with an 80 line output with

> > an ellipsis in the middle.

> > It's a very simple utility, presented in the hope that others will find it

> > useful.

> As no one bothered to post a replly, here are a couple of suggestions:
>
> - adding a version number
>
> - bundling the files in a zip file somewhere
>
> - some comments on loselong.c would improve the readability
>
> - in general, pointer arguments in loselong.c weren't validated
>

> loselong.c:138
>
> CBUFFER *cbuffer(int capacity) : switching from int with size_t would
>
> eliminate the need to validate the input parameter.
>

> Notwithstanding, thanks for sharing your work with the world. Great job.
>
> Kudos!

It's now been sourceforged.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/loselong/

so we've got version control. I'll look at validating pointer arguments.

Commandline XML parser matt XML 4 08-10-2005 10:36 PM
Opening up MY COMPUTER fldr from commandline? fitwell Computer Support 9 04-22-2005 01:10 AM
commandline version of this script. NNTP Perl 5 02-20-2004 05:17 PM
Changing the contents of a displaying gtk window thorough the commandline suresh j Python 0 12-01-2003 09:17 AM
Can We Run Localization Toolkit in Commandline ??? Manish Pansiniya ASP .Net 6 07-14-2003 11:57 AM

Advertisments