Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pink snow with Fuji JX520

Pink snow with Fuji JX520

The Real Bev

Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
problem:

Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
stills. Samples:

<https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>

<https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>

Any idea what might be causing this?

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

otter

On Mar 11, 2:22*pm, The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
> happened yet). *It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
> problem:
>
> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
> worse when facing toward the sun. *Sometimes. *Doesn't happen with
> stills. *Samples:
>
> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
>
> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
>
> Any idea what might be causing this?

Small and cheap.

It is a flare issue of some kind. No idea why it is pink, but flare
often shows up as colors. I think the only choices you have are to
avoid doing that, or to buy a different camera, maybe a little more
expensive one.

RichA

On Mar 11, 2:22*pm, The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
> happened yet). *It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
> problem:
>
> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
> worse when facing toward the sun. *Sometimes. *Doesn't happen with
> stills. *Samples:
>
> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
>
> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
>
> Any idea what might be causing this?

ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.

The Real Bev

On 03/11/2013 08:23 PM, RichA wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
>> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
>> happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
>> problem:
>>
>> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
>> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
>> worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
>> stills. Samples:
>>
>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
>>
>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
>>
>> Any idea what might be causing this?

> ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.

100 or auto. White balance = auto or sunlight. Probably doesn't have
an IR filter. WB works OK with stills.

Yeah, small and cheap -- by design. You have no idea how much I hate
breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever. If I have to live with the pink
cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
the cause.

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo

Martin Brown

On 12/03/2013 04:01, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 08:23 PM, RichA wrote:
>
>> On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
>>> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
>>> happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
>>> problem:
>>>
>>> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
>>> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
>>> worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
>>> stills. Samples:
>>>
>>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
>>>

>>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
>>>

>>> Any idea what might be causing this?

>> ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.

> 100 or auto. White balance = auto or sunlight. Probably doesn't have
> an IR filter. WB works OK with stills.
>
> Yeah, small and cheap -- by design. You have no idea how much I hate
> breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
> or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever. If I have to live with the pink
> cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
> the cause.

Some of it is certainly flare in the lens when it is directly
illuminated by bright sunlight. A cheap rubber lens hood should fix it.

The ISO seems to be set too high and is generating chroma noise in the
shadows. Forcing 100ASA should fix that shadow noise as should telling
it "sunlight". Snag is you may lose the freezing of action shots.

You can probably tweak the video in any of the usual programs to fix the
AWB bias but once you have ruined the shadow detail is it hard to fix
the red and blue noise blocks. What surprises me a little bit is that
there is so much noise on the red channel. Usually blue noise is a
problem as well. A UV filter might be worth a try since there is a lot
of it on a ski slope going in every direction and short wavelengths
scatter more strongly in cheap lenses.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

DanP

On Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22:40 PM UTC, The Real Bev wrote:

> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>
>
> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>
>

> Any idea what might be causing this?

I'd say high ISO. Can you set the fps to a lower value? That would give the camera more time for exposure therefore a chance to lower the ISO.

DanP

RichA

On Mar 11, 11:01*pm, The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 08:23 PM, RichA wrote:
>

> > On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
> >> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
> >> happened yet). *It's generally better than I expected it to be, withone
> >> problem:

> >> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
> >> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
> >> worse when facing toward the sun. *Sometimes. *Doesn't happen with
> >> stills. *Samples:

> >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>

> >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>

> >> Any idea what might be causing this?

> > ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. *WB circuit failure.

> 100 or auto. *White balance = auto or sunlight. *Probably doesn't have
> an IR filter. *WB works OK with stills.

All cameras have IR filters. Except astro cameras.

> Yeah, small and cheap -- by design. *You have no idea how much I hate
> breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
> or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever. *If I have to live with the pink
> cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
> the cause.

Please...a P&S that shoots decent video can be had used for about
$50.00. Off to Ebay with you, don't come back without decent video.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> All cameras have IR filters. Except astro cameras.

no, not all.

The Real Bev

On 03/12/2013 03:15 AM, DanP wrote:

> On Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22:40 PM UTC, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>

<https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>

>> Any idea what might be causing this?

> I'd say high ISO. Can you set the fps to a lower value? That would
> give the camera more time for exposure therefore a chance to lower
> the ISO.

ISO was set to either 100 or Auto. I set the video to HD, but there's
no separate fps setting; I would assume a lower fps for a higher
resolution, but I could be wrong.

--
Cheers, Bev
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Real Bev

On 03/12/2013 07:27 AM, George Kerby wrote:
> On 3/11/13 11:01 PM, in article khm98k$ce6$(E-Mail Removed), "The Real Bev"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.

>> 100 or auto. White balance = auto or sunlight. Probably doesn't have
>> an IR filter. WB works OK with stills.
>>
>> Yeah, small and cheap -- by design. You have no idea how much I hate
>> breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
>> or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever. If I have to live with the pink
>> cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
>> the cause.

> Set your white balance to 5500 or the <sun> setting. Take it off AWB.

Going skiing again next week -- I'll set it for 'sun'.

Ski season is pretty much over for this year. Bummer.

--
Cheers, Bev