Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > An odd Windows behaviour

An odd Windows behaviour

Gib Bogle

On 13/03/2013 11:36 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <khnssd$g69$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Gib
> Bogle says...
>>
>> On 12/03/2013 10:54 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed), Dave Doe says...

>>> And a couple other things... can you Delete the File Association
>>> (Control Panel, Folder OPtions, File Types) for the PRO? - and even if
>>> not, why not try and create a New one.
>>>

>> I've been down all these avenues. There was not an entry for .pro files
>> in the File Types list, I added it. It is not possible to create an
>> association with qtcreator.exe,

> OK, well that's new info AFAIK (ie yes, I've read the thread ).

Actually Dave it was in my initial post:
"Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you can
choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied list of
candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that on one
machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to open a
particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is opened by
qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select qtcreator.exe, the OS
ignores my choice and insists on opening it with my text editor."
In case it isn't crystal clear, I'm referring to browsing from the 'Open
With' window.

> So uh, what *is* qtcreator.exe ???
> And where is the .exe and what attributes does it have?

qtcreator.exe is the Qt program for creating Qt GUIs. It is a perfectly
normal executable; I can run it from the command line, by
double-clicking on it in Explorer, or by selecting it from the Programs
menu. If it matters (it doesn't) is resides in C:\QtSDK\QtCreator\bin.
I have been using versions of this program for years, on XP and Win7.

> From the thread, you've got this working via the command line? - ie
> qtcreator correctly accepts arguments (such as a file parsed to it)? -
> just to confirm that

I can run qtcreator.exe in all the usual ways, and it correctly accepts
the argument fubar.pro from the command line.

Dave Doe

In article <khol1b$hq4$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Gib
Bogle says...

> On 13/03/2013 11:36 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article <khnssd$g69$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Gib
> > Bogle says...

> >> I've been down all these avenues. There was not an entry for .pro files
> >> in the File Types list, I added it. It is not possible to create an
> >> association with qtcreator.exe,

> > OK, well that's new info AFAIK (ie yes, I've read the thread ).

> Actually Dave it was in my initial post:
> "Normally when you right-click on a file and select 'Open with' you can
> choose the program to open the file, either from the supplied list of
> candidates or by browsing for the .exe. I have found that on one
> machine I use (Windows XP, work computer) I am not able to open a
> particular file type like this. The file is .pro, and is opened by
> qtcreator.exe. When I browse for and select qtcreator.exe, the OS
> ignores my choice and insists on opening it with my text editor."
> In case it isn't crystal clear, I'm referring to browsing from the 'Open
> With' window.

And I was referring to your answer re File Associations - which is new
info - certainly, a different way of achieving the same, but still new
info - the file association PRO didn't exist before, you created it, and
it would not let you browse via that method (no Advanced button).

> > So uh, what *is* qtcreator.exe ???
> > And where is the .exe and what attributes does it have?

> qtcreator.exe is the Qt program for creating Qt GUIs. It is a perfectly
> normal executable; I can run it from the command line, by
> double-clicking on it in Explorer, or by selecting it from the Programs
> menu. If it matters (it doesn't) is resides in C:\QtSDK\QtCreator\bin.
> I have been using versions of this program for years, on XP and Win7.
>
> > From the thread, you've got this working via the command line? - ie
> > qtcreator correctly accepts arguments (such as a file parsed to it)? -
> > just to confirm that
> >

> I can run qtcreator.exe in all the usual ways, and it correctly accepts
> the argument fubar.pro from the command line.

I think you should test this on your Win7 or 8 PC (if you have Pro or
better) and run up a Virtual PC of XP, or run the free Windows XP Mode -
and test in there. But if you're happy that you know this will work OK,
why bother - you're happy to deduce it is on your work PC only. Is the
work PC on a domain environment? And if so, what happens if you logon
the local PC account (not the domain account) and try setting the file
association? Can you talk the boss into a new PC?

--
Duncan.

Gib Bogle

On 13/03/2013 4:48 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

>> I can run qtcreator.exe in all the usual ways, and it correctly accepts
>> the argument fubar.pro from the command line.

> I think you should test this on your Win7 or 8 PC (if you have Pro or
> better) and run up a Virtual PC of XP, or run the free Windows XP Mode -
> and test in there. But if you're happy that you know this will work OK,
> why bother - you're happy to deduce it is on your work PC only. Is the
> work PC on a domain environment? And if so, what happens if you logon
> the local PC account (not the domain account) and try setting the file
> association? Can you talk the boss into a new PC?

It all works as expected on Win7. The work PC is on a domain
environment. Next time I'm at the office I'll try a local logon. I
seldom go there, since I work at home, using VPN and Remote Desktop. A
new PC is not on the cards.

I'm pursuing this purely out of interest - it is an intriguing puzzle, I
hate to leave puzzles like this unsolved. I can always start qtcreator
then open the .pro file, and I can use the Sendto facility.

Dave Doe

In article <khouci$4tj$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Gib
Bogle says...

> On 13/03/2013 4:48 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>
> >> I can run qtcreator.exe in all the usual ways, and it correctly accepts
> >> the argument fubar.pro from the command line.

> > I think you should test this on your Win7 or 8 PC (if you have Pro or
> > better) and run up a Virtual PC of XP, or run the free Windows XP Mode -
> > and test in there. But if you're happy that you know this will work OK,
> > why bother - you're happy to deduce it is on your work PC only. Is the
> > work PC on a domain environment? And if so, what happens if you logon
> > the local PC account (not the domain account) and try setting the file
> > association? Can you talk the boss into a new PC?
> >

> It all works as expected on Win7. The work PC is on a domain
> environment. Next time I'm at the office I'll try a local logon. I
> seldom go there, since I work at home, using VPN and Remote Desktop. A
> new PC is not on the cards.
>
> I'm pursuing this purely out of interest - it is an intriguing puzzle, I
> hate to leave puzzles like this unsolved. I can always start qtcreator
> then open the .pro file, and I can use the Sendto facility.

Sure, it's good to sort these things out - find out why

I know it works in Win7, just suggesting you run up an XP Mode version
of it, and test in that...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...c/default.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

--
Duncan.

Gib Bogle

On 13/03/2013 7:18 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:

>> It all works as expected on Win7. The work PC is on a domain
>> environment. Next time I'm at the office I'll try a local logon. I
>> seldom go there, since I work at home, using VPN and Remote Desktop. A
>> new PC is not on the cards.
>>
>> I'm pursuing this purely out of interest - it is an intriguing puzzle, I
>> hate to leave puzzles like this unsolved. I can always start qtcreator
>> then open the .pro file, and I can use the Sendto facility.

> Sure, it's good to sort these things out - find out why
>
> I know it works in Win7, just suggesting you run up an XP Mode version
> of it, and test in that...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...c/default.aspx
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Ah, right. I'll see if my enthusiasm reaches that far