Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > An odd Windows behaviour

An odd Windows behaviour

nospam

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:04:07 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more important to
>know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to tell
>Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can someone
>tell me what this is?

Try adding qtcreator to the "send to" list

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270

Malcolm

On Fri 08 Mar 2013 07:01:03 PM CST, Gib Bogle wrote:

>On 8/03/2013 5:49 p.m., Malcolm wrote:
>> On Fri 08 Mar 2013 05:38:39 PM CST, Gib Bogle wrote:

>> Hi
>> Mime types...
>> http://www.ehow.com/how_6924444_edit-mime-types-ie.html
>>

>I've been through the Control Panel system for associated a program
>with a file type. It doesn't work for this program.

Hi
Strange indeed, something out of whack somewhere...

Have you browsed the registry for the extension to see where it exists?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.28-2.20-desktop

Gib Bogle

On 9/03/2013 1:40 a.m., Malcolm wrote:
> On Fri 08 Mar 2013 07:01:03 PM CST, Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> On 8/03/2013 5:49 p.m., Malcolm wrote:
>>> On Fri 08 Mar 2013 05:38:39 PM CST, Gib Bogle wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> Mime types...
>>> http://www.ehow.com/how_6924444_edit-mime-types-ie.html
>>>

>> I've been through the Control Panel system for associated a program
>> with a file type. It doesn't work for this program.

> Hi
> Strange indeed, something out of whack somewhere...
>
> Have you browsed the registry for the extension to see where it exists?

As I mentioned, qtcreator.exe is in the registry entry for .pro, but it
is ignored.

Gib Bogle

On 8/03/2013 11:07 p.m., nospam wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:04:07 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more important to
>> know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to tell
>> Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can someone
>> tell me what this is?

> Try adding qtcreator to the "send to" list
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270

I did that. It didn't change anything

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:48:24 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

> On 9/03/2013 1:40 a.m., Malcolm wrote:
> >
> > Have you browsed the registry for the extension to see where it exists?
> >

> As I mentioned, qtcreator.exe is in the registry entry for .pro, but it
> is ignored.

Does a search find registry keys for .pro in other places?
There is more that one place in the XP registry where you find
registry entries for file extensions.

For example...

1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
which is a merger of:
1.1 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\
1.2 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\

--
Kind regards
Ralph

nospam

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:55:11 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 8/03/2013 11:07 p.m., nospam wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:04:07 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more important to
>>> know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to tell
>>> Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can someone
>>> tell me what this is?

>> Try adding qtcreator to the "send to" list
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270
>>

>I did that. It didn't change anything

Try making a batch file that does
echo %1
and add the batch file to the send to list.

If you type
qtcreator.exe yourfile.pro
on the command line, does the file get opened?

Gib Bogle

On 9/03/2013 10:18 a.m., nospam wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:55:11 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/03/2013 11:07 p.m., nospam wrote:

>>> Try adding qtcreator to the "send to" list
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270
>>>

>> I did that. It didn't change anything

> Try making a batch file that does
> echo %1
> and add the batch file to the send to list.
>
> If you type
> qtcreator.exe yourfile.pro
> on the command line, does the file get opened?

Command line invocation of qtcreator works as expected.

I added the echo batch file to sendto - what should I expect to see?

nospam

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:32:23 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 9/03/2013 10:18 a.m., nospam wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:55:11 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> I did that. It didn't change anything

>> Try making a batch file that does
>> echo %1
>> and add the batch file to the send to list.
>>
>> If you type
>> qtcreator.exe yourfile.pro
>> on the command line, does the file get opened?
>>

>Command line invocation of qtcreator works as expected.
>
>I added the echo batch file to sendto - what should I expect to see?

If you "send" yourfile.pro to the batch file it should output the name
of the file to the screen - but come to think of it, it's going to
immediately close the shell (cmd.exe) - so you need to add a pause
command to the end of the batch file. This just checks that send to
is working.

If you run regedit and look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.pro - there should be
several entries there - you could compare them with what you see for
some other file extension - say, .txt

wrote:

>On 8/03/2013 11:07 p.m., nospam wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:04:07 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It would be nice to understand what's happening, but more important to
>>> know how to correct the problem. Presumably there is a way to tell
>>> Windows that qtcreator.exe is the way to open a .pro file. Can someone
>>> tell me what this is?

>> Try adding qtcreator to the "send to" list
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270
>>

>I did that. It didn't change anything

uh, do you mean that right click on yourfile.pro -> send to -> qt
creator - doesn't work? I was trying to suggest an alternative to
the file association.

Also, you could try this - found this on the internet

Fix file associations from the Command Line: Did you leave the Always
Use This Program To Open This File option
turned on? Do you want to change it back so it prompts you to specify
a program each time? To delete the association
with that file type, at the command prompt enter the command
ASSOC.EXT= [where .EXT specifies the extension of
the file type whose association you want to delete (e.g., .WAV for
wave files)].

Now whenever you double-click on the file of that type, the system
will ask you what program you want to use to open
the file. For more information:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm.

Gib Bogle

On 10/03/2013 11:00 a.m., nospam wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:55:11 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/03/2013 11:07 p.m., nospam wrote:

>>> Try adding qtcreator to the "send to" list
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270
>>>

>> I did that. It didn't change anything

> uh, do you mean that right click on yourfile.pro -> send to -> qt
> creator - doesn't work? I was trying to suggest an alternative to
> the file association.

Oh, I didn't understand that. That works! The mystery about 'Open
with' remains, but this is a feasible alternative. Thanks!

> Also, you could try this - found this on the internet
>

> Fix file associations from the Command Line: Did you leave the Always
> Use This Program To Open This File option
> turned on? Do you want to change it back so it prompts you to specify
> a program each time? To delete the association
> with that file type, at the command prompt enter the command
> ASSOC.EXT= [where .EXT specifies the extension of
> the file type whose association you want to delete (e.g., .WAV for
> wave files)].
>
> Now whenever you double-click on the file of that type, the system
> will ask you what program you want to use to open
> the file. For more information:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm.

ASSOC.PRO= left the text editor as the automatic program that opens a
..pro file.