Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sorta on topic... Dash Cams

Sorta on topic... Dash Cams

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2013-03-08, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> I've heard (and read in a user review on DX from a guy in Slovakia)
>> that the introduction of dash-cams has made roads much safer and
>> reduced the number of accidents considerably. (You'd think that the
>> NZ govt, with it's squillions spent on advertising campaigns around
>> holiday periods would perhaps even subsidise these if they do in
>> fact save lives.)

> What about the backlash of privacy invasion?

Frankly I don't give a monkey's. As the cam would only capture what is being
done 'in public' then, as far as I see it there is no 'expectation of
privacy'. (The wording's not right, I'm not a lawyer but I think you get
what I mean?)
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:53:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
>>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:28:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> http://dx.com/s/Car+DVR.html?category=100710
>>>
>>> Great site thanks for putting me on to it.

>> You're welcome. Shame that someone can't find out what is a really
>> good model and find out who's interested here and bulk-buy them. I'd
>> be in for one....

> I always look for the items with most reviews, positive reviews that
> is.

Yeah, I did the same thing. However, when it came to buying a butane
soldering iron recently that practice let me down. At first I bought a
cheaper model with great reviews and it was crap - chewed through the gas
but wasn't efficient at transferring it to the tip. Only any good for very
fine wires when I really wanted it for automotive work.

So I went up a couple of levels and bought one three times the price - also
with lots of good reviews. This one just didn't let enough gas out, it was
like it was blocked - dust in the tank maybe? Also it was 'bent'. The
'pencil' part wasn't straight in relation to the tank, it was a good 10
degrees off. Really shoddy work. Oh, also it didn't look exactly the same as
the model that I ordered.

So, two bad orders in a row - and money I couldn't afford to lose - has put
me off committing to a larger-value purchase with them. That said I must
have bough 30+ small things over the last couple of years that I'm entirely
happy with. However, small purchases - less to lose if it doesn't turn out
well. <shrug>
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Bret

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:38:40 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:

>>> You're welcome. Shame that someone can't find out what is a really
>>> good model and find out who's interested here and bulk-buy them. I'd
>>> be in for one....

>> I always look for the items with most reviews, positive reviews that
>> is.

> Yeah, I did the same thing. However, when it came to buying a butane
> soldering iron recently that practice let me down. At first I bought a
> cheaper model with great reviews and it was crap - chewed through the gas
> but wasn't efficient at transferring it to the tip. Only any good for very
> fine wires when I really wanted it for automotive work.
>
> So I went up a couple of levels and bought one three times the price - also
> with lots of good reviews. This one just didn't let enough gas out, it was
> like it was blocked - dust in the tank maybe? Also it was 'bent'. The
> 'pencil' part wasn't straight in relation to the tank, it was a good 10
> degrees off. Really shoddy work. Oh, also it didn't look exactly the same as
> the model that I ordered.
>
> So, two bad orders in a row - and money I couldn't afford to lose - has put
> me off committing to a larger-value purchase with them. That said I must
> have bough 30+ small things over the last couple of years that I'm entirely
> happy with. However, small purchases - less to lose if it doesn't turn out
> well. <shrug>

Yeah, there's always a risk buying from overseas, I've been fortunate so
far (fingers Crossed .

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Crash McBash wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:15:01 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:

>>> What about the backlash of privacy invasion?

>> Frankly I don't give a monkey's. As the cam would only capture what
>> is being done 'in public' then, as far as I see it there is no
>> 'expectation of privacy'. (The wording's not right, I'm not a lawyer
>> but I think you get what I mean?)

> Correct - there is no 'privacy' on our roads already. We have speed
> and traffic monitoring cams so dash cams are an extension of current
> surveillance technology.

S'what I figured.

Saw an interview with a Russian guy who said that the roads are so much
safer since insurance companies halved the premium if you had a working dash
cam fitted. He said nobody wants to risk getting a letter from the police
saying they have evidence of them driving dangerously.

So why don't we have them here (other than the select few tech-heads who
might have one)? If I could buy locally at a reasonable price (with
accountability / warranty) I'd dig the credit card out from the place where
I hid it and buy one *now*! As I said - I think that the wide-spread
adoption of dash cams would do far more for our road toll (and to reduce
non-fatal accidents) than almost anthing else (for a similar cost at least).
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

JohnO

On Saturday, 9 March 2013 19:38:40 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:

> >> You're welcome. Shame that someone can't find out what is a really

> >> good model and find out who's interested here and bulk-buy them. I'd

> >> be in for one....

> > I always look for the items with most reviews, positive reviews that

> > is.

> Yeah, I did the same thing. However, when it came to buying a butane
>
> soldering iron recently that practice let me down. At first I bought a
>
> cheaper model with great reviews and it was crap - chewed through the gas
>
> but wasn't efficient at transferring it to the tip. Only any good for very
>
> fine wires when I really wanted it for automotive work.
>

> So I went up a couple of levels and bought one three times the price - also
>
> with lots of good reviews. This one just didn't let enough gas out, it was
>
> like it was blocked - dust in the tank maybe? Also it was 'bent'. The
>
> 'pencil' part wasn't straight in relation to the tank, it was a good 10
>
> degrees off. Really shoddy work. Oh, also it didn't look exactly the same as
>
> the model that I ordered.
>

> So, two bad orders in a row - and money I couldn't afford to lose - has put
> me off committing to a larger-value purchase with them. That said I must
> have bough 30+ small things over the last couple of years that I'm entirely
> happy with. However, small purchases - less to lose if it doesn't turn out
> well. <shrug>
>
> --
>
> /Shaun.

Bugger. Is the vendor someone we should avoid?

This is why I like aliexpress. If it doesn't arrive or it is not up to scratch they (aliexpress's escrow) return your money. The vendor does not get your money until you accept the product.

JohnO

<snip>

I'm tempted to get one of these - I can't stand gas torches with no decent fuel storage capacity.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HS-11...602108497.html

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 March 2013 19:38:40 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:

[snip]
>> So, two bad orders in a row - and money I couldn't afford to lose -
>> has put me off committing to a larger-value purchase with them. That
>> said I must have bough 30+ small things over the last couple of
>> years that I'm entirely happy with. However, small purchases - less
>> to lose if it doesn't turn out well. <shrug>

> Bugger. Is the vendor someone we should avoid?

I wouldn't go that far. I've had some bargains from them. However most
people can afford to 'eat' the loss of a few tens of dollars if it happens.
It's bloody hard for me to do the same.

> This is why I like aliexpress. If it doesn't arrive or it is not up
> to scratch they (aliexpress's escrow) return your money. The vendor
> does not get your money until you accept the product.

Innerestin'. I might have to give them a look if I'm buying stuff from China
again. Thanks.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I'm tempted to get one of these - I can't stand gas torches with no
> decent fuel storage capacity.
>
> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HS-11...602108497.html

That looks quite good. If I hadn't already lost the money that I'd earmarked
for a butane soldering tool I'd probably get that.

Actually, at the bottom of that page is a pic of the thing I got from
DealExtreme - the exact-same set:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...643980322.html

http://dx.com/p/wlxy-wl-1886-1300-c-...-silver-148904

Only when mine arrived the main part looked quite different and, as I
mentioned, the thing didn't work and was bent. A few days later, when
the 'please confirm delivery' email arrived I considered asking for an RMA
but am unable to find it since the day I got it. I don't *think* I threw it
out straight away... My place is a bit of a mess as often I only have enough
low-pain time to get stuff out and do what's needed - tidying up again is
another matter. Annoying as I was always a "place for everything and
everything in it's place" guy, got it from my Dad.

Sometimes when I need some 'table' space I just dump everything that's in my
way (and isn't important enough to get put away properly) into a box and put
it in the corner. It can be very annoying when I 'lose' things for months -
until the time comes when I have a 'window' and manage to get some stuff
tidied up.

Cheers,