Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How do you perceive programming? how do you look at the quality ofsoftware? Help needed with a quick survey!!!1

How do you perceive programming? how do you look at the quality ofsoftware? Help needed with a quick survey!!!1

Arne Vajhøj

On 3/9/2013 3:12 PM, David Lamb wrote:
> On 09/03/2013 6:24 AM, komal singh wrote:
>> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TYVGZTQ

> Thanks for posting the link. Here are some criticisms of the survey itself.
>
> You're asking for natural-language style answers, some of which seem to
> me to require LONG essays to do anything more than a superficial job of
> conveying what the respondent might be thinking. Also the answers of one
> respondent might not be comparable at all to someone else' answers
> because they'd make different interpretations of the questions and
> decide to answer in different degrees of detail.
>
> You need to ask more focused questions. If your supervisor is working in
> this area, s/he ought to be able to find someone local, either within
> the school or in a local software house, to refine the questions into
> something more concrete and easier to answer.
>
> There's no harm in a *few* open-ended questions -- most surveys have
> *some* of that sort.

If he has already gotten some answers to the existing questions, then
it will be problematic to change them.

> At the end you ask people to write a program. Asking a professional
> programmer to volunteer time can be pretty dicey; they rightly expect to
> be paid (and may be required to refuse free work by, for example, union
> rules).

If the program is non trivial, then many will leave that question
unanswered.

Arne

komal singh

Thanks for the criticism guys which I will take onboard. However, if you feel that you can answer some of the questions then please do. My tutor has agreed with the questions asked.

Thank You

markspace

On 3/9/2013 1:20 PM, komal singh wrote:
> Thanks for the criticism guys which I will take onboard. However, if
> you feel that you can answer some of the questions then please do.
> My tutor has agreed with the questions asked.

Just curious: what school are you writing your dissertation for?

komal singh

University collage London

Arne Vajhøj

On 3/9/2013 6:09 AM, komal singh wrote:
> where are these so called rules?

As others have already explained then they are not formalized
and vary a bit between different groups.

Multiposting is generally frowned on.

Tolerance for off-topic posts vary a lot (I consider cljp to be
somewhere in the middle regrading that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquet...%29#Netiquette

has a very short description:

<quote>
Netiquette (short for "network etiquette" or "Internet etiquette") is a
set of social conventions that facilitate interaction over networks,
ranging from Usenet and mailing lists to blogs and forums. However, like
many Internet phenomena, the concept and its application remain in a
state of flux, and vary from community to community. The points most
strongly emphasized about USENET netiquette often include using simple
electronic signatures, and avoiding multiposting, cross-posting,
off-topic posting, hijacking a discussion thread, and other techniques
used to minimize the effort required to read a post or a thread.
Similarly, some Usenet guidelines call for use of unabbreviated English
while users of instant messaging protocols like SMS occasionally
encourage just the opposite, bolstering use of SMS language. However,
many other online communities frown upon this practice.

Common rules for e-mail and USENET such as avoiding flamewars and spam
are constant across most mediums and communities. Another rule is to
avoid typing in ALL CAPS or grossly enlarging script for emphasis, which
is considered to be the equivalent of shouting or yelling. Other
commonly shared points, such as remembering that one's posts are (or can
easily be made) public, are generally intuitively understood by
publishers of Web pages and posters to USENET, although this rule is
somewhat flexible depending on the environment.
</quote>

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

On 3/9/2013 3:52 AM, lipska the kat wrote:
> On 08/03/13 23:47, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On 3/8/2013 4:09 AM, lipska the kat wrote:
>>> Don't you find it illuminating that the large majority of new posters to
>>> cljp end up in a defensive position due to the relentless criticism they
>>> encounter from a notable few individuals in this group?

>> Well - they don't.

> <sigh>
>
> OK, it goes something like this
>
> A visitor posts a request
>
> Then
>
> Either
>
> They are criticized for their English when English is not their first
> language,

Very few people here do that. You and Lew do it frequently, but you
can solve half of that problem!

> or they are criticized for the apparent simplicity of their
> question,

That is extremely rare.

> or they are criticized for the way they post the question

They get told how to ask better questions, so they can get better
answers.

That is a good thing.

> or
> they are told (rudely) to RTFM

RTFM is not an insult.

If it is accompanied by a link to the relevant FM, then
it is very helpful.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

On 3/11/2013 12:06 PM, Qu0ll wrote:
> "komal singh" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> University collage London

> From dictionary.com:
>
> col·lage
> [kuh-lahzh, koh-] Show IPA noun, verb, col·laged, col·lag·ing.
> noun

> Which definition of "collage" applies here?

I think you can guess what he meant.

> Your lack of attention to detail and your general rude and arrogant
> attitude are the reasons why you have received such a negative response
> here. You should understand that programming and science in general are
> topics which require both precise and accurate usage of language along
> with respect for your "peers" (and I use that term loosely here). You
> have entered a forum which does indeed have rules (netiquette) and you
> have repeatedly chosen to ignore them. If you aspire to being a
> scientist, engineer or programmer then you need to learn the ways of
> those who have gone before you. Lew and others are not being rude as you
> accuse them, they are treating you as they would treat anyone else in
> our industry. They expect and deserve a certain standard of
> communication and they deserve your respect.
>
> It is generally advisable to not bite the hands that feed you. In this
> instance you need us, we do not need you. To be successful in this
> industry you will need to get along with others. Behave like a
> professional and you will be treated like one. Behave like you have in
> this thread so far and you will always be on the outer.

Based on his more recent posts, then I think everything is fine now.

Arne

komal singh

Lipska,

I have removed the last question which entitles you to submit the form.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TYVGZTQ

Thank you