Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo editing

Photo editing

Pablo

Savageduck wrote:

> Now I use LR more than I ever did before. I import RAW files into LR
> and convert to DNG. Then in the "Develop" module I make all the
> adjustments I would have made in ACR, all non-destructive, and you can
> make as many "virtual" copies, with different renditions as you require
> without taking up the space a real file copy would.
> So now my RAW processing is done in LR4 and I hardly ever directly open
> a RAW file in CS5 ACR.

Heh. Cheating is easy as well. I've been looking at old rubbish that had
been condemned as crap years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...in/photostream

That's actually a hell of a crop. Fools my eyes.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
http://paulc.es/

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:21:58 +0100, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Savageduck wrote:
>
>> Now I use LR more than I ever did before. I import RAW files into LR
>> and convert to DNG. Then in the "Develop" module I make all the
>> adjustments I would have made in ACR, all non-destructive, and you can
>> make as many "virtual" copies, with different renditions as you require
>> without taking up the space a real file copy would.
>> So now my RAW processing is done in LR4 and I hardly ever directly open
>> a RAW file in CS5 ACR.

>Heh. Cheating is easy as well. I've been looking at old rubbish that had
>been condemned as crap years ago.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...in/photostream
>
>That's actually a hell of a crop. Fools my eyes.

The photo looks flat to me. There's good color potential there in the
flamingos, but it's dull. Your background water, though, is fine.

I think you said you have Photoshop or Elements 11. Now's the time to
learn the Layer Mask. Open that image and Control-J to copy the
background layer. Do it again.

Turn off the "eye" in the top layer so only the middle layer is in
view. Use Levels* on this layer to brighten up the four birds in the
foreground. Maybe, after that, increase saturation a tad.

Then, open the "eye" in the top layer and make it a Layer Mask. Using
the brush set to black, paint over the four birds. If you paint too
much over an edge, change to white and erase.

This will create four "holes" in the top layer allowing the middle
layer to show through the holes. The water and the background will
remain the same, but the birds will look better.

*Levels is just one way to do this. You could use Curves, also.

I haven't played around with the image, but the Duck probably will
take on this challenge and give you his steps.

Even if you like the image the way it is, use it as an exercise in
using the Layer Mask feature.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:16:38 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-03-10 14:27:19 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> Heh. Cheating is easy as well. I've been looking at old rubbish that had
>>> been condemned as crap years ago.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...in/photostream
>>>
>>> That's actually a hell of a crop. Fools my eyes.

>> The photo looks flat to me. There's good color potential there in the
>> flamingos, but it's dull. Your background water, though, is fine.
>>
>> I think you said you have Photoshop or Elements 11. Now's the time to
>> learn the Layer Mask. Open that image and Control-J to copy the
>> background layer. Do it again.
>>
>> Turn off the "eye" in the top layer so only the middle layer is in
>> view. Use Levels* on this layer to brighten up the four birds in the
>> foreground. Maybe, after that, increase saturation a tad.
>>
>> Then, open the "eye" in the top layer and make it a Layer Mask. Using
>> the brush set to black, paint over the four birds. If you paint too
>> much over an edge, change to white and erase.
>>
>> This will create four "holes" in the top layer allowing the middle
>> layer to show through the holes. The water and the background will
>> remain the same, but the birds will look better.
>>
>> *Levels is just one way to do this. You could use Curves, also.
>>
>> I haven't played around with the image, but the Duck probably will
>> take on this challenge and give you his steps.

>To Hell with the steps, here is the result. with just a little more
>definition & "pop" in the birdies, and no change to the crop.
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...mingoes-01.jpg >
>
>> Even if you like the image the way it is, use it as an exercise in
>> using the Layer Mask feature.

By "steps" I meant that you would explain what adjustment tool you
used to pop the birds. Levels? What?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Pablo

Tony Cooper wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:21:58 +0100, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...in/photostream
>>
>>That's actually a hell of a crop. Fools my eyes.

> The photo looks flat to me.

I appreciate the advice, and when I get time I'll have a play, but this was
an excercise in rescuing a truly horrible photo, out of focus and badly
framed, without opening an "editor".

I wish my eyes were better. I didn't see "flat", but I can appreciate the
difference now.

--

Savageduck wrote:

> On 2013-03-10 15:16:38 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:
>
>> On 2013-03-10 14:27:19 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>> I haven't played around with the image, but the Duck probably will
>>> take on this challenge and give you his steps.

>> To Hell with the steps, here is the result. with just a little more
>> definition & "pop" in the birdies, and no change to the crop.
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...mingoes-01.jpg >
>>
>>> Even if you like the image the way it is, use it as an exercise in
>>> using the Layer Mask feature.

> ...and here is the side-by-side:
> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_162.jpg >

Just taken another look. I don't get it. The one on the right looks like
mine. The one on the left has the birds more blurred.

Was that the intention?

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
http://paulc.es/

otter

On Mar 11, 8:30*am, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Savageduck wrote:
> > On 2013-03-10 15:16:38 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> > said:

> >> To Hell with the steps, here is the result. with just a little more
> >> definition & "pop" in the birdies, and no change to the crop.
> >> <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Pablo-flamingoes-01.jpg>

> > ...and here is the side-by-side:
> > <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_162.jpg>

> Just taken another look. I don't get it. The one on the right looks like
> mine. The one on the left has the birds more blurred.
>
> Was that the intention?
>
> --
> Pablo
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...tp://paulc.es/

It's the other way around.

Pablo

otter wrote:

> On Mar 11, 8:30 am, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Savageduck wrote:
>> > On 2013-03-10 15:16:38 -0700, Savageduck
>> > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

>> > ...and here is the side-by-side:
>> > <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_162.jpg>

>> Just taken another look. I don't get it. The one on the right looks like
>> mine. The one on the left has the birds more blurred.
>>
>> Was that the intention?

> It's the other way around.

I don't think so.

Here's the pic with the suggested changes.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28266593/IMG_2449.jpg

I prefer the original.

--

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:30:07 +0100, Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Savageduck wrote:
>
>> On 2013-03-10 15:16:38 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>> said:

>>> To Hell with the steps, here is the result. with just a little more
>>> definition & "pop" in the birdies, and no change to the crop.
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...mingoes-01.jpg >

>> ...and here is the side-by-side:
>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_162.jpg >
>>

>Just taken another look. I don't get it. The one on the right looks like
>mine. The one on the left has the birds more blurred.
>
>Was that the intention?

Notice the file name on the one at the right. "Pablo-Flamingos-01".
That's the Duck's version.

The original is more blurred, and there's some improvement in detail
on the Duck's version, but you really can't do all that much to bring
out detail in post. It can be sharpened, and treated so the shadows
give depth, but there's only so much one can do in post as far as
detail/blurring.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Pablo

Savageduck wrote:

> Just bear in mind we only had access to your 721KB file in Flickr, and
> that has issues.

Issues, huh?

You're welcome to the original, which was much bigger.

We are straying from the point a tad here, in that this excercise was all
about me discovering how useful Lightroom is for rescuing crap photos. Until
I was advised here to have a play with it, I'd all but consigned it to the
dustbin. How wrong was I? (despite the "issues").

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28266593/IMG_2449.CR2

All my photos have issues.

But the piccie on flickr doesn't look as fuzzy as the one you point to as
being mine. Bit puzzling, that.