Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nutsy Canon M marketing defies explanation

Nutsy Canon M marketing defies explanation

RichA

These are the guys who built a massive DSLR brand by expert
commercials dealing with wildlife photography.
So, magazine shows two Canon cameras. One, the new compact APC M
body. The other, one of their DSLRs. The M sports a typical chunky
18-55mm APC kit lens, sticking out about 4" from teh body, defeating
completely the M's potential portability. The DSLR, on the other
hand, has a new 40mm pancake lens, which would have allowed the M to
have a 2" thick profile and BE the portable camera it could be.

RichA

On Mar 4, 5:23*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:32:41 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >These are the guys who built a massive DSLR brand by expert
> >commercials dealing with wildlife photography.
> >So, magazine shows two Canon cameras. *One, the new compact APC M
> >body. *The other, one of their DSLRs. *The M sports a typical chunky
> >18-55mm APC kit lens, sticking out about 4" from teh body, defeating
> >completely the M's potential portability. *The DSLR, on the other
> >hand, has a new 40mm pancake lens, which would have allowed the M to
> >have a 2" thick profile and BE the portable camera it could be.

> They have nothing on Pentax, who gave us the K01, possibly the
> stupidest camera in a decade. But it came in colors.

Really, the only thing it lack(ed) was an EVF or optical viewfinder.
People migrating from P&S small-sensor rubbish wouldn't need any
learning curve to speak of. The main gripes by seasoned shooters was
lack of an EVF and a registration distance as long as a DSLR.

Trevor

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:32:41 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>These are the guys who built a massive DSLR brand by expert
>>commercials dealing with wildlife photography.
>>So, magazine shows two Canon cameras. One, the new compact APC M
>>body. The other, one of their DSLRs. The M sports a typical chunky
>>18-55mm APC kit lens, sticking out about 4" from teh body, defeating
>>completely the M's potential portability. The DSLR, on the other
>>hand, has a new 40mm pancake lens, which would have allowed the M to
>>have a 2" thick profile and BE the portable camera it could be.

OK I admit to knowing almost nothing about the M, but don't standard EF
lenses also require an adapter on the M which is about as thick as the 40mm
pancake anyway?

Trevor.

RichA

On Mar 4, 11:57*pm, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:32:41 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >>These are the guys who built a massive DSLR brand by expert
> >>commercials dealing with wildlife photography.
> >>So, magazine shows two Canon cameras. *One, the new compact APC M
> >>body. *The other, one of their DSLRs. *The M sports a typical chunky
> >>18-55mm APC kit lens, sticking out about 4" from teh body, defeating
> >>completely the M's potential portability. *The DSLR, on the other
> >>hand, has a new 40mm pancake lens, which would have allowed the M to
> >>have a 2" thick profile and BE the portable camera it could be.

> OK I admit to knowing almost nothing about the M, but don't standard EF
> lenses also require an adapter on the M which is about as thick as the 40mm
> pancake anyway?
>
> Trevor.

You are right, that would add another inch which would put the camera
right on the edge of pocketability Even the 22mm, STM lens really
isn't a pancake. I guess Canon has to catch up with the others when
it comes to some tech.

Whisky-dave

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:24:53 AM UTC, RichA wrote:
> On Mar 4, 11:57*pm, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > OK I admit to knowing almost nothing about the M, but don't standard EF

> > lenses also require an adapter on the M which is about as thick as the 40mm

> > pancake anyway?

> > Trevor.

> You are right, that would add another inch which would put the camera
>
> right on the edge of pocketability .

Is there an offical size.... as I found out that a Fujifinepix HS10 can fitin my pocket easily, but getting it back out was much harder.
In fact I almost went for a cesarean on it, before eventually easing it outbit by bit.

RichA

On Mar 5, 5:31*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:28:15 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >On Mar 4, 5:23*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> They have nothing on Pentax, who gave us the K01, possibly the
> >> stupidest camera in a decade. But it came in colors.

> >Really, the only thing it lack(ed) was an EVF or optical viewfinder.
> >People migrating from P&S small-sensor rubbish wouldn't need any
> >learning curve to speak of. *The main gripes by seasoned shooters was
> >lack of an EVF and a registration distance as long as a DSLR.

> You would be satisfied with AF that needed a calendar to time it? It
> was a dog slow beast, something that's unforgiveable today.

That would certainly kill it for most things moving.

RichA

On Mar 5, 8:45*am, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > OK I admit to knowing almost nothing about the M, but don't standard EF

> > > lenses also require an adapter on the M which is about as thick as the 40mm

> > > pancake anyway?

> > > Trevor.

> > You are right, that would add another inch which would put the camera

> > right on the edge of pocketability .

> Is there an offical size.... as I found out that a Fujifinepix HS10 can fit in my pocket easily, but getting it back out was much harder.
> In fact I almost went for a cesarean on it, before eventually easing it out bit by bit.

Depends on the season and how you dress. If you are some kind of
dandy, and like wearing tight cloths, like some modern suits, no
camera may be pocketable. If you wear a big 3/4 winter coat, you
could probably put a small DSLR into a pocket.

Trevor

"Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:57:10 +1100, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:32:41 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>OK I admit to knowing almost nothing about the M, but don't standard EF
>>lenses also require an adapter on the M which is about as thick as the
>>40mm
>>pancake anyway?
>>

> I hate adapters. EF lenses work, but once you increase the size of the
> whole package, you end up with, usually, an unbalanced mess. If you
> want to shoot EF lenses, get one of Canon's fine SLRs.

Thanks, but I already own a few, and no M

Trevor.

Tardis News Web Server inside Server Defies Laws of Nature reid@tardis-db.co.uk Digital Photography 0 03-03-2008 02:44 AM
Re: BUSINESS DIRECTORIES FOR TARGET MARKETING Ken Briscoe Microsoft Certification 0 12-09-2004 02:57 PM
Effective Email Marketing Joe Buick VHDL 0 11-29-2004 08:11 PM
Online Marketing Singova Black Cisco 0 11-29-2004 08:03 PM
Download Dialog Defies Description... David Harrison Firefox 0 09-08-2003 01:37 PM

Advertisments